Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2017, 04:39 PM

73,013 posts, read 62,607,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOforthewin View Post
Also the democrat controlled cities such as Memphis, Atlanta, St. Louis and New Orleans which all have crime issues when compared to the northwest what is the incarceration rate and hate to say it but the cities in the border south and south such as St. Louis, Memphis, Baltimore, Atlanta, New Orleans all have high makeups of blacks which sadly statistically have higher violent crime rates and are less affluent than Denver and the northwest.
And alot of Blacks living in those cities are the ones left over after the middle class, working class, and affluent Black left. If the Blacks living in those cities were mostly middle to middle upper class residents, would the crime rates of those cities be so high?

I have to bring this up because while those cities have high black populations, a giant portion of those Black populations are the underclass. The underclass will have problems whether or not there are Republicans or Democrats in charge. How about this, Alaska. Low Black population, but one of the highest violent crime rates in the nation. For many years the murder rate in Alaska was in the top 10 in the USA. Frequently makes #1 for rape. High rate of suicide.

And I live in the Atlanta area. Atlanta city has a lower murder rate than St. Louis, despite having more blacks, and a higher percentage of Blacks. Atlanta has actually gotten its act together in terms of getting its murder rate down. St. Louis hasn't. Atlanta has more Blacks than St. Louis. Ask yourself why Atlanta is doing better.

And Memphis has long been a violent city. It was the murder capital of the USA during the early 20th century.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2017, 05:24 PM

3,833 posts, read 3,342,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
And alot of Blacks living in those cities are the ones left over after the middle class, working class, and affluent Black left. If the Blacks living in those cities were mostly middle to middle upper class residents, would the crime rates of those cities be so high?

I have to bring this up because while those cities have high black populations, a giant portion of those Black populations are the underclass. The underclass will have problems whether or not there are Republicans or Democrats in charge. How about this, Alaska. Low Black population, but one of the highest violent crime rates in the nation. For many years the murder rate in Alaska was in the top 10 in the USA. Frequently makes #1 for rape. High rate of suicide.

And I live in the Atlanta area. Atlanta city has a lower murder rate than St. Louis, despite having more blacks, and a higher percentage of Blacks. Atlanta has actually gotten its act together in terms of getting its murder rate down. St. Louis hasn't. Atlanta has more Blacks than St. Louis. Ask yourself why Atlanta is doing better.

And Memphis has long been a violent city. It was the murder capital of the USA during the early 20th century.
Memphis and St. Louis have a ton of similarities. Almost could be siblings. Atlanta is still not a really safe city and people I talk to have moved away from it due to crime, traffic, etc. More to crime than just murder. Also really have to dig into it. What percentage of the crimes are native americans up there? Here in Florida the Indians have a lot of crime problems because of employment issues, alcoholism, domestic violence and such on the reservations.

States with high native American population have issues with drugs and crime. It's just not talked about much because usually the media focuses on blacks and Mexicans. I know this personally from a family friend who is Native American down here.

Old 06-14-2017, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOforthewin View Post
Memphis and St. Louis have a ton of similarities. Almost could be siblings. Atlanta is still not a really safe city and people I talk to have moved away from it due to crime, traffic, etc. More to crime than just murder. Also really have to dig into it. What percentage of the crimes are native americans up there? Here in Florida the Indians have a lot of crime problems because of employment issues, alcoholism, domestic violence and such on the reservations.

States with high native American population have issues with drugs and crime. It's just not talked about much because usually the media focuses on blacks and Mexicans. I know this personally from a family friend who is Native American down here.
I live in the Atlanta area. From what I've seen from Atlanta, vs St. Louis, I feel safer in Atlanta. Atlanta has less crime than St. Louis, while having more blacks. That is something that should be looked at. I lalso asked you to look a this. If the Blacks living in Memphis, St. Louis, and Detroit were more middle upper class, would there be nearly as much crime? Yes or No?

There is more to crime than just murder. However, I concern myself with murder more because getting killed is the biggest thing I'm scared of.

And the fact that there are Native Americans committing crimes in high proportions shows that crime can exist without a high Black population.

My point is this. This whole idea of "If those cities were run by Republicans things would be better". I disagree with that.

Old 06-14-2017, 06:09 PM

1,400 posts, read 863,754 times
Quote:
I live in the Atlanta area. From what I've seen from Atlanta, vs St. Louis, I feel safer in Atlanta. Atlanta has less crime than St. Louis, while having more blacks. That is something that should be looked at. I lalso asked you to look a this. If the Blacks living in Memphis, St. Louis, and Detroit were more middle upper class, would there be nearly as much crime? Yes or No?

There is more to crime than just murder. However, I concern myself with murder more because getting killed is the biggest thing I'm scared of.

And the fact that there are Native Americans committing crimes in high proportions shows that crime can exist without a high Black population.

My point is this. This whole idea of "If those cities were run by Republicans things would be better". I disagree with that.
You might be able to reinforce your point if you could name a few major cities (500,000+) that voted for Trump that have worse crime rates than say, Atlanta.

https://decisiondeskhq.com/data-dive...-donald-trump/

Actually, I don't think you can name one after doing a little research. Virginia Beach, Jacksonville, OKC, Fort Worth, and Mesa were all pretty close (Trump did well in those cities comparatively speaking) and all have large minority populations, and all have lower crime rates than Atlanta. 4 out of the 5 cities that I mentioned have republican mayors. The only exception is Mesa, AZ which has an independent mayor.

Last edited by 1grin_g0; 06-14-2017 at 06:31 PM..

Old 06-14-2017, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1grin_g0 View Post
You might be able to reinforce your point if you could name a few major cities (500,000+) that voted for Trump that have worse crime rates than say, Atlanta.

Cities of those populations are where Clinton got her votes. Big cities in general vote Democrat. I don't know ANY city of that size that vote for Trump. I can name plenty of cities of that size who voted for Clinton that have low crime rates.

Again, why is no one answering these questions?

How is it that Atlanta and St. Louis are majority Black(with Atlanta being of a higher Black population), but Atlanta is markedly safer?

If these majority Black cities had black populations that were middle to middle upper class, would the crime rates be as high?

Old 06-14-2017, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Actually, I don't think you can name one after doing a little research. Virginia Beach, Jacksonville, OKC, Fort Worth, and Mesa were all pretty close (Trump did well in those cities comparatively speaking) and all have large minority populations, and all have lower crime rates than Atlanta. 4 out of the 5 cities that I mentioned have republican mayors. The only exception is Mesa, AZ which has an independent mayor.
OKC, Fort Worth, and Jacksonville said "Needed to parse", meaning the data isn't there. Virginia Beach is a military city and has a population under 500,000. Mesa is a suburb of Phoenix and still has a population of under 500,000. Mesa is 3.5% Black.

You mentioned cities of 500,000+ that voted for Trump. There are none. That wasn't by point. There is mention of "Democrats are the problem". Then I brought up Seattle, Boston, Denver. I can bring up more, like Minneapolis, St. Paul, San Jose. Then Blacks were brought up. At that point, we'll just look at the majority Black cities. That is what I was talking about. I brought up Atlanta because despite its problems, it is in nowhere as bad of shape as Memphis or St. Louis. So far, no one can come up with good answers, just something else.

Old 06-14-2017, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTGR View Post
Most of the pro-removal commentators have said it belongs in a museum. Guess what: a civil war museum in St. Louis County wants it, but that's not good enough for Mayor Krewson:

City leaders, Missouri Civil War Museum at odds over who owns Confederate monument in Forest Park | Political Fix | stltoday.com

"If you're taking it down because you consider it offensive ... you don't want it to go to place where it would be celebrated," Addo said on Wednesday.

Trout said he has no hostility toward the city, but the museum wouldn't allow St. Louis leaders to have influence over how the memorial would be featured down the line.

"There is not a museum in this world that doesn't have some sort of controversial, divisive item or artifact in their collections. That's part of preserving history," he said. "The moment we have governments telling museums how and why they can do things, we're in trouble."
This is certainly going to complicate a merger between St. Louis and the county.

Old 06-14-2017, 07:01 PM

Quote:
OKC, Fort Worth, and Jacksonville said "Needed to parse", meaning the data isn't there. Virginia Beach is a military city and has a population under 500,000. Mesa is a suburb of Phoenix and still has a population of under 500,000. Mesa is 3.5% Black.

You mentioned cities of 500,000+ that voted for Trump. There are none. That wasn't by point. There is mention of "Democrats are the problem". Then I brought up Seattle, Boston, Denver. I can bring up more, like Minneapolis, St. Paul, San Jose. Then Blacks were brought up. At that point, we'll just look at the majority Black cities. That is what I was talking about. I brought up Atlanta because despite its problems, it is in nowhere as bad of shape as Memphis or St. Louis. So far, no one can come up with good answers, just something else.
OKC was the largest city that went for Trump and it beats ATL by crime rate and income. All of those cities destroy STL (300,000) in terms of crime and income as well. It is clear that republican policies are working in those cities. 4 out of 5 of them have republican mayors. The other one (Mesa) voted for Trump and has an independent mayor. The point is that you can't name a city that voted for Trump (or was a battleground, too close to call) that has worse metrics than STL or Atlanta. Not to mention the fact that all of those cities are growing.

https://decisiondeskhq.com/data-dive...-donald-trump/

Quote:
President Trump carried Oklahoma City by over 40,000 votes, making it the largest city in the United States to vote for him.

Old 06-14-2017, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1grin_g0 View Post
OKC was the largest city that went for Trump and it beats ATL by crime rate and income. All of those cities destroy STL (300,000) in terms of crime and income as well. It is clear that republican policies are working in those cities. 4 out of 5 of them have republican mayors. The other one (Mesa) voted for Trump and has an independent mayor. The point is that you can't name a city that voted for Trump (or was a battleground, too close to call) that has worse metrics than STL or Atlanta. Not to mention the fact that all of those cities are growing.
It is also clear that Democratic policies are working in places like Boston, Seattle, San Jose, Minneapolis, St. Paul, Madison, Denver. My point was that D vs R has little to do with this. If Democratic policies will work in cities I've mentioned, but St. Louis is doing so bad, then there is something wrong with St. Louis. Besides, this who St. Louis vs Atlanta thing started because race was brought into this. You still did not answer any of my questions. No one has.

BTW, the only reason OKC voted for Trump is because it's primarily an oil city. When you're economy thrives on oil, your city will do fine. But even OKC has problems. Blacks don't seem to do well in Oklahoma in general, at least compared to the rest of the population. http://www.tulsaworld.com/homepagela...a4bcf6878.html

http://oklahomawatch.org/2015/03/10/...ck-inequality/

Old 06-14-2017, 07:13 PM

Quote:
It is also clear that Democratic policies are working in places like Boston, Seattle, San Jose, Minneapolis, St. Paul, Madison, Denver. My point was that D vs R has little to do with this. If Democratic policies will work in cities I've mentioned, but St. Louis is doing so bad, then there is something wrong with St. Louis. Besides, this who St. Louis vs Atlanta thing started because race was brought into this. You still did not answer any of my questions. No one has.

BTW, the only reason OKC voted for Trump is because it's primarily an oil city. When you're economy thrives on oil, your city will do fine. But even OKC has problems. Blacks don't seem to do well in Oklahoma in general, at least compared to the rest of the population. Oklahoma ranks fifth highest in black homicides in U.S. | Homepagelatest | tulsaworld.com

Beyond the Racist Chant: The Facts About Black Inequality | Oklahoma Watch
Fort Worth has a higher percentage of minorities than all of those cities. And it's white population (40%) is less than STL City (44%). San Jose is a tech city so that doesn't count.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis