Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2017, 04:37 PM

2 posts, read 1,887 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone,

My family and I are moving to the area to be near an elderly family member that lives in Alton, and I am hoping to get some help information about what it's like to live there. The location is ideal because my husband's employment prospects are in O'Fallon and St. Louis which are both in a reasonable driving distance from Alton. We have also noticed that real estate is very reasonable and have found some nice places, but the overall crime rate of the city is so high. We have a kindergartner and a 7th grader, so we're concerned about the schools too. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2017, 11:12 PM

7,444 posts, read 7,016,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slmcdsde82 View Post
Hello Everyone,

My family and I are moving to the area to be near an elderly family member that lives in Alton, and I am hoping to get some help information about what it's like to live there. The location is ideal because my husband's employment prospects are in O'Fallon and St. Louis which are both in a reasonable driving distance from Alton. We have also noticed that real estate is very reasonable and have found some nice places, but the overall crime rate of the city is so high. We have a kindergartner and a 7th grader, so we're concerned about the schools too. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.
Alton is a cool old old river town but from a nearby outsider's perspective the crime is high and the schools could be a lot better. I'd look maybe at Edwardsville or O'Fallon or places like that.

Old 08-29-2017, 02:48 PM

1,400 posts, read 863,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slmcdsde82 View Post
Hello Everyone,

O'Fallon MO or O'Fallon IL? If O'Fallon MO, then you'd probably be better off finding a place in St. Charles County. If I had to live on the IL side, then I'd look at Edwardsville or Troy. If I had to live within 5 minutes of Alton, then I'd look at Godfrey or Bethalto. Alton's best days are probably in the past, which is why the real estate is so affordable. Also, the state of Illinois is in a serious financial mess.

Old 08-29-2017, 03:34 PM

685 posts, read 767,865 times
Because of the poorer schools, Alton is tougher for families. However, if you want to live in the Riverbend (the name for that area), the best places are Godfrey and Bethalto. Both are leafy, quiet areas with good schools.

The Riverbend reminds me of what St. Charles County used to be: a satellite region of StL, separated enough to have its own identity. It's a beautiful area, particularly along the River Road. It's 25+ miles from St. Louis and the job market is smaller. It has affordable acreage, but not much excitement (e.g. development, traffic, etc.). The state finally extended I-255 several years ago, so it has highway access.

Coincidentally, the commute to either O'Fallon (IL or MO) seems about the same mileage. And that's a long commute in either case. If he is working in StL City, the Riverbend is an easier commute than Mo'Fallon.

Really, this boils down to commute time vs. distance from elderly family.

Old 08-29-2017, 06:35 PM

2 posts, read 1,887 times
Thank you for the replies. I'm sorry for not being clear. His employment prospects are in O'Fallon, IL and St. Louis, MO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis