Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2017, 10:31 AM

836 posts, read 1,255,877 times

Advertisements

The Cleveland and St. Louis metro areas are amazingly similar on many counts, whether it be the population size or Rust Belt status. Comparable, but of course not quite identical, as they also differ on many counts, with Cleveland being more of a Great Lakes city originally of New England heritage and St. Louis being more of a river city reminiscent of Baltimore or Philadelphia as well. I think also that the suburbs in those areas could be compared in many ways. Having been many, many more times to some of Cleveland's East Side suburbs - particularly to the heavily-Jewish ones like Univ. Heights and Beachwood, as I'm Jewish myself - than to its West Side suburbs (and to anywhere in St. Louis, for that matter), I may be biased. But between being often in eastern Cleveland and reading up about all these topics, here are some possible analogies between Cleveland suburbs and St. Louis suburbs:

Cleveland Heights/Univ. Heights/S. Euclid ~= University City

Shaker Heights ~= Clayton (minus the skyscrapers and the county seat status)

Beachwood ~= Olivette/Ladue

Pepper Pike/Moreland Hills ~= Creve Coeur

Solon ~= Chesterfield

Lyndhurst ~= Overland

Mayfield Heights ~= Maryland Heights

Independence ~= Fenton

East Cleveland ~= East St. Louis (in terms of crime and urban decline)

Lorain/Elyria ~= East St. Louis (in terms of being the core of a smaller, down-on-the-heels metro area next to the main metro area)

This is what I've thoroughly thought of. Please correct me where necessary, and please feel free to add to this list (e.g. what the St. Louis equivalent of Richmond Hgts. or Euclid or Garfield Hgts. or Parma or Rocky River or Bay Village would be); you're more than welcome to do so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2017, 06:11 AM

1,339 posts, read 2,485,199 times
I think you could find comparable suburban areas in just about any major city. Has more to do with the decade in which they were built, than the city they are outside of. What is more interesting, in my opinion, is comparing neighborhoods in the city itself. I'm not familiar with Cleveland, but I find that St Louis compares with Baltimore in many ways, though STL probably has more good areas (and doesn't have a waterfront to speak of). Philly is several steps above, however, in terms of the vibrancy of its downtown and the quantity and variety of its walkable neighborhoods.

Old 05-25-2017, 08:43 AM

7,444 posts, read 7,015,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yofie View Post
The Cleveland and St. Louis metro areas are amazingly similar on many counts, whether it be the population size or Rust Belt status. Comparable, but of course not quite identical, as they also differ on many counts, with Cleveland being more of a Great Lakes city originally of New England heritage and St. Louis being more of a river city reminiscent of Baltimore or Philadelphia as well. I think also that the suburbs in those areas could be compared in many ways. Having been many, many more times to some of Cleveland's East Side suburbs - particularly to the heavily-Jewish ones like Univ. Heights and Beachwood, as I'm Jewish myself - than to its West Side suburbs (and to anywhere in St. Louis, for that matter), I may be biased. But between being often in eastern Cleveland and reading up about all these topics, here are some possible analogies between Cleveland suburbs and St. Louis suburbs:

Cleveland Heights/Univ. Heights/S. Euclid ~= University City

Shaker Heights ~= Clayton (minus the skyscrapers and the county seat status)

Beachwood ~= Olivette/Ladue

Pepper Pike/Moreland Hills ~= Creve Coeur

Solon ~= Chesterfield

Lyndhurst ~= Overland

Mayfield Heights ~= Maryland Heights

Independence ~= Fenton

East Cleveland ~= East St. Louis (in terms of crime and urban decline)

Lorain/Elyria ~= East St. Louis (in terms of being the core of a smaller, down-on-the-heels metro area next to the main metro area)

This is what I've thoroughly thought of. Please correct me where necessary, and please feel free to add to this list (e.g. what the St. Louis equivalent of Richmond Hgts. or Euclid or Garfield Hgts. or Parma or Rocky River or Bay Village would be); you're more than welcome to do so.
I can't really comment with this level of detail, but I will simply say I spent a week in Cleveland a few years ago and had some opportunities to drive around and meet some locals and I very much came away with the impression that Cleveland metro and St. Louis metro have a lot in common.

Old 05-25-2017, 08:57 AM

3,618 posts, read 3,054,991 times
I have often believed St. Louis and Cleveland are kindred cities. The differences you pointed out are the same as I perceive. I don't know the burbs of Cleveland at all, but the Clayton/U City parallel to Cleveland/University/Shaker Heights really does pop, on paper at least. I think I would like it there

What about Rocky River? Does it have a twin the St. Louis burbs?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis