Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2017, 06:41 PM

4,873 posts, read 3,601,591 times

Advertisements

While I don't doubt that unified governments can still be stupid, that's no reason to deliberately make things worse. At least in Indy the office knew enough to tell you the correct floor you needed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2017, 08:16 PM

40 posts, read 44,433 times
The fragmentation has been disastrous for the entire Lou region it's time to consolidate both the Lou's whether we may like it or not a merged Lou will lead to a simpler far less complicated healthier region.
Lou has fallen so far behind because of the selfishness that exudes to the point its nauseating and hopeless.
We've lost more than what we gained.
St.Louis needs a complete makeover.

Old 06-19-2017, 07:24 AM

1,400 posts, read 863,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1764 View Post
The fragmentation has been disastrous for the entire Lou region it's time to consolidate both the Lou's whether we may like it or not a merged Lou will lead to a simpler far less complicated healthier region.
Lou has fallen so far behind because of the selfishness that exudes to the point its nauseating and hopeless.
We've lost more than what we gained.
St.Louis needs a complete makeover.
It probably has more to do with risk aversion. If everything is going great in your municipality (schools, crime, home values, etc.) then why would you want to chance it?

Old 06-19-2017, 08:11 AM

589 posts, read 1,107,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOforthewin View Post
As I already state, it's a big idea to merge the city with the county. It will be a disaster. It's too big, has too many problems as well.

Now I do agree Missouri has way too many municipals who's main purpose is to supply cushy jobs and police departments that exist just to keep funding said jobs via traffic fines.

I'm talking small places like Bella Villa and now defunct St. George. That is a farce a town like St. George had a police department just to cover one main street. I hated driving through there.

These little towns in places like St. Louis county, St. Charles, and Jefferson county need to go. No reason a town like St. George needed their own department.

The city is a dump. Even though the county has a population nearly 3 times the city has, as usual the city would find a way to control most of the power overall and try to take the county seat way from Clayton.

It would be like reunification of Korea, with North Korea being the winners and having their government in control. Would be horrible and Stl county will turn into one big dump eventually when people move to the surrounding counties.

With respect, you should not overgeneralize. You state "the city is a dump'. There are several very nice areas of the city. Perhaps your fear did not allow you to experience them. I have lived on Lafayette Avenue between Jefferson and Grand for 8 years and I have NEVER had any issues in this time. furthermore, I have seen at least 12 new homes go up on this stretch of one mile, seen several remodeled, and there are more on the way. This is just one mile of a street that most never see and often is not thought of when people mention the 'nice' areas of the city. Certainly, we have issues in our great city, and part of that is general stereotypes like what you state. The are incorrect and incite fear. I encourage you to be a little more positive and open to progress.

Old 06-22-2017, 07:37 AM

7,444 posts, read 7,015,567 times
Default Ellisville moves towards referendum on city/county merger...

Ellisville moves toward own referendum on St. Louis city and county merger | Political Fix | stltoday.com

...looks like the mayor of Ellisville is seeking to get out ahead of Rex's end run around city and county voters deciding this issue.

Old 06-22-2017, 07:50 AM

I think it's valid to be concerned about preserving the earnings tax. The true irony is if people became convinced to unify as a single St. Louis City, and expanded the tax across the region. It would never happen but I love to picture Rex's spit-take if it did.

It's sort of interesting that consolidation faces two almost opposite poles of opposition: the wealthy suburbs that don't want to share, and the poor suburbs that don't want to give up institutional control.

Old 06-22-2017, 09:05 AM

7,444 posts, read 7,015,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMiller View Post
I think it's valid to be concerned about preserving the earnings tax. The true irony is if people became convinced to unify as a single St. Louis City, and expanded the tax across the region. It would never happen but I love to picture Rex's spit-take if it did.

It's sort of interesting that consolidation faces two almost opposite poles of opposition: the wealthy suburbs that don't want to share, and the poor suburbs that don't want to give up institutional control.
What's fascinating to me is you have a wealthy Republican mega donor who is a city resident who apparently may use the largely rural, republican dominated state legislature to do an end run around largely republican voters in St. Louis county who likely would oppose a city-county merger if put to a vote. Although I have to say, I think a lot of county democrat voters would also oppose it if put to a vote.

Old 06-22-2017, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTGR View Post
What's fascinating to me is you have a wealthy Republican mega donor who is a city resident who apparently may use the largely rural, republican dominated state legislature to do an end run around largely republican voters in St. Louis county who likely would oppose a city-county merger if put to a vote. Although I have to say, I think a lot of county democrat voters would also oppose it if put to a vote.
I don't think the merger issue breaks down neatly by party or race lines. If I had to guess, I'd say the breakdown locally is more like old residents vs. young people and newcomers.

Edit: https://www.scribd.com/document/1149...mber-2012-Poll
According to this Sinquefield survey, the main characteristics in the county seem to be party (Favored by Dem 50% Rep 31%) and whether the household has children (Children: 25% No Kids: 51%). Race, gender, education and income seemed comparatively unimportant. In the city the split is Dem: 45% Rep 71%, which is surprising but I'm guessing that's a product of small sample size.

Last edited by FrankMiller; 06-22-2017 at 09:24 AM..

Old 06-22-2017, 12:30 PM

4,009 posts, read 6,864,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1grin_g0 View Post
I was not aware of that. Do you know if the county played a role in making that happen?

I know that the city of Fenton has a service agreement with the STL County PD. Fenton no longer has its own police dept. I think a few other municipalities have contracted with the STL County PD as well.
I don't think the County was instrumental in its development but I could be wrong. I believe that Wellston couldn't afford to retain its police department so voted to contract with Vinita Park PD who renamed and rebadged themselves North County Police Cooperative.

There are now about 5 or 6 former PDs which have consilidated themselves into NCPC.

Old 06-29-2017, 09:40 AM

42 posts, read 52,240 times
It's no wonder people are skeptical of a merger. Nobody has spelled out exactly how it would work on a logistical level.

For example, the city has WAY too many alderpeople for its population.....29 representing about 317,000 residents. Even when that number is reduced in 2020, the city will still have too many alderpeople, at least compared to the county, where there are 7 council reps for about 1 million residents.

If the city & county merge, will the city expect to have MORE representation than county districts? Or will it drop down to 2-3 alderpeople total, which would be appropriate for its population? So many questions like this to be answered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis