Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2017, 09:12 PM

1,400 posts, read 858,630 times

Advertisements

State troopers to begin patrolling St. Louis interstates, freeing up police for violent crime | Law and order | stltoday.com

It looks like Governor Greitens is getting serious about addressing crime in the city. Whenever I'm in town I rarely see the city PD on the interstates, as they have limited resources and must prioritize. I do see the city PD doing checkpoints occasionally, but I can't remember them routinely patrolling the interstates. I frequently see vehicles that do not even appear roadworthy on interstate 70 in the city, which in my opinion, is a major safety issue. I welcome the State Troopers and I can see their presence making a noticeable difference. Way to go Greitens
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2017, 09:32 PM

7,443 posts, read 6,982,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1grin_g0 View Post
State troopers to begin patrolling St. Louis interstates, freeing up police for violent crime | Law and order | stltoday.com

It looks like Governor Greitens is getting serious about addressing crime in the city. Whenever I'm in town I rarely see the city PD on the interstates, as they have limited resources and must prioritize. I do see the city PD doing checkpoints occasionally, but I can't remember them routinely patrolling the interstates. I frequently see vehicles that do not even appear roadworthy on interstate 70 in the city, which in my opinion, is a major safety issue. I welcome the State Troopers and I can see their presence making a noticeable difference. Way to go Greitens

I mainly see the STLPD's truck enforcement unit (not sure the official name) harras trucks driving through because I assume that's a big money maker for the city.

Old 06-20-2017, 06:48 AM

7,108 posts, read 8,915,332 times
I don't see how this is going to reduce crime. Crime is happening along Natural Bridge Road not I70 and I55.

St. Louis police department should be the highest paid in the state given the nature of violence in the city along with Springfield and Kansas City.

Violent crime is a huge problem in Missouri and needs to be dealt with by tighter gun control laws tougher sentencing for criminals and eliminating poverty.

Old 06-20-2017, 07:24 AM

1,013 posts, read 902,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
I don't see how this is going to reduce crime. Crime is happening along Natural Bridge Road not I70 and I55.

St. Louis police department should be the highest paid in the state given the nature of violence in the city along with Springfield and Kansas City.

Violent crime is a huge problem in Missouri and needs to be dealt with by tighter gun control laws tougher sentencing for criminals and eliminating poverty.

I live on the east coast....all cities and people are the same and tighter and more gun control laws isn't the answer. There aren't any measures you can take that will stop bad people from doing bad things. We have to honor the laws we have, hire more police and undercover and get to know the neighborhoods and people. Convict and make examples of people that didn't comply. We can do this if we want.

Old 06-20-2017, 07:30 AM

4,873 posts, read 3,583,830 times
Quote:

I believe the idea is to allow the city to focus its resources elsewhere. It's effectively a small state subsidy toward the city police force. It's not going to solve anything, but it should be a small help.

Old 06-20-2017, 06:06 PM

309 posts, read 304,863 times
Quote:

Please elaborate how the state should go about acting on those suggestions:

What should be done to tighten gun laws and what measures should be taken to ensure there's no adverse impact on law-abiding, responsible gun owners?

What should those tougher sentences be for criminals? And which criminals?

What steps do you suggest to eliminate poverty?

How has this worked for Memphis, and what can STL/KC/Springfield learn to combat their problems with gun violence and poverty?

Old 06-20-2017, 06:41 PM

15,972 posts, read 9,353,963 times
Article states that the MSHP previously wasn't patrolling the highways in the city??

That's something they should have been doing all along, so it's ridiculous this discussion is happening in the first place.

Old 06-20-2017, 09:56 PM

3,826 posts, read 3,289,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koji7 View Post
I live on the east coast....all cities and people are the same and tighter and more gun control laws isn't the answer. There aren't any measures you can take that will stop bad people from doing bad things. We have to honor the laws we have, hire more police and undercover and get to know the neighborhoods and people. Convict and make examples of people that didn't comply. We can do this if we want.
I agree. MO has the best gun laws in the country and that has nothing to do with the crime. Outside of stl city and parts of Stl county, violent crimes with guns are not a huge issue like meth and heroine are. The crime thing is a St. Louis problem. Add to the fact that liberal judges give light sentences as well and let them back loose.

If Missouri had California style gun laws there would still be crimes with firearms and baseball bats and such.

Old 06-20-2017, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoNative34 View Post
Article states that the MSHP previously wasn't patrolling the highways in the city??

That's something they should have been doing all along, so it's ridiculous this discussion is happening in the first place.
The Missouri Highway patrol isn't very big. They have a lot of road to cover and you don't see them out a lot in St. Louis county as usually the county has traffic units that work the highways as well.

Here in FL the counties also patrol the highways in some areas. But also our county road, US 41 is technically supposed to be the Sheriff patrolling it but FHP also enforces traffic on it too.

St. Louis county has a highway traffic enforcement squad.

I see MO Highway patrol in Jefferson county a lot though.

Old 07-20-2017, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoNative34 View Post

Well in a lot of states there is a shortage of troopers.

Having troopers in the city though could lead to more drug bust and pickup people on warrants when they're stopped and get them locked up.

I wonder how the troopers feel about this. Now having to work in the city and dealing with the possibility of more violent traffic stops.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis