U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-13-2008, 05:48 AM
 
Location: Southeast Missouri
5,827 posts, read 11,006,065 times
Reputation: 3160
Default West County's great, as long as you don't like food

STLtoday - Life & Style - Columnists (broken link)

Interesting Article.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-13-2008, 08:16 AM
 
Location: Volker, Kansas City, MO
12,062 posts, read 17,842,434 times
Reputation: 3597
That's hysterical and very true. But I gotta say I think St. Peters/Charles is the worst. When i was a kid I thought everyone went to the Olive Garden for their special occasions, only when I was a teenager did it start to drive me crazy!!

Then I moved to Columbia - which was getting worse by the day with the number of chains - Actually when I worked for the weekly city magazine Vox I assigned a story on the trend of new chains coming into town. It's still online if anyone cared to read it: Vox Magazine - The Chains

When we moved to Chicago we promised to never eat at a national chain again and we haven't!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-13-2008, 02:47 PM
 
Location: Chesterfield, MO
386 posts, read 1,061,746 times
Reputation: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
When i was a kid I thought everyone went to the Olive Garden for their special occasions
Wait. You mean.....it's NOT???

Damn.

(The article is so true, by the way. We don't exactly do gourmet here in West County....)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-13-2008, 02:48 PM
 
Location: ABQ
634 posts, read 1,437,418 times
Reputation: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
That's hysterical and very true. But I gotta say I think St. Peters/Charles is the worst. When i was a kid I thought everyone went to the Olive Garden for their special occasions, only when I was a teenager did it start to drive me crazy!!

Then I moved to Columbia - which was getting worse by the day with the number of chains - Actually when I worked for the weekly city magazine Vox I assigned a story on the trend of new chains coming into town. It's still online if anyone cared to read it: Vox Magazine - The Chains

When we moved to Chicago we promised to never eat at a national chain again and we haven't!
Slightly off topic, but is Taylor Brewing Company still up that way (22nd & Butterfield)? Just curious
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-13-2008, 03:15 PM
 
Location: Volker, Kansas City, MO
12,062 posts, read 17,842,434 times
Reputation: 3597
Yeah, I haven't been though- is it any good?
We've had some bad luck with restaurants out here so we typically head to the city on the weekends when we want to eat out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-13-2008, 04:41 PM
 
1,703 posts, read 3,570,774 times
Reputation: 535
Not going to rip Ballwin twice in one week. Just kidding folks.

The little Mexican place that is currently moving from Manchester up the road isn't bad. Otherwise can't help ya.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-13-2008, 05:58 PM
 
Location: Still in the same spot...
2,125 posts, read 2,867,238 times
Reputation: 1502
I can kind of agree with the Post-Dispatch columnist, but to gripe about gas being "almost $3.00 a gallon"? Boo freakin' hoo! Try being here in the north SF Bay Area, where diesel has already busted through the $4.00 per gallon barrier, with the three grades of gas close behind. Right now I'd rather be paying under $3.00 per gallon and eating a steakburger, chili and a milkshake.

Folks, it could be worse!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-13-2008, 06:13 PM
 
Location: Still in the same spot...
2,125 posts, read 2,867,238 times
Reputation: 1502
Sorry everyone--I didn't mean to come across like Eric the Troll. It's just that the astronomical energy prices that are gripping all of us are really cutting into my disposable income, so that eating out at anything more expensive than Denny's or Burger King is getting tougher all the time. I do enjoy Steak 'N Shake, Waffle House and Cracker Barrel, and just wish we had 'em out here in California.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-13-2008, 06:29 PM
 
Location: Chesterfield, MO
386 posts, read 1,061,746 times
Reputation: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by northbayeric View Post
I can kind of agree with the Post-Dispatch columnist, but to gripe about gas being "almost $3.00 a gallon"? Boo freakin' hoo! Try being here in the north SF Bay Area, where diesel has already busted through the $4.00 per gallon barrier, with the three grades of gas close behind. Right now I'd rather be paying under $3.00 per gallon and eating a steakburger, chili and a milkshake.

Folks, it could be worse!
Yeah...Olive Garden is about as fancy as my family is getting until the economy turns around. lol. A lot of my friends refuse to eat anything less than 20$. And so instead of eating elsewhere for meeting or whatever, they're brown-baggin' it (which isn't a terrible idea, either).

The point is....yeah....if you're a foodie, maybe West County isn't going to do it for you. But most of us can't afford, let alone want, to be foodies. So....oh well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-13-2008, 09:50 PM
 
Location: Ballwin, MO
366 posts, read 1,170,827 times
Reputation: 214
The funny thing about that article is that the rumor is that Lesters is building a restaurant in the new center where Target, Whole Foods, and yes, my new office is going up at 141 & Clayton Roads in Town & Country. We are less than a mile from Manchester city limits, and two miles from Manchester Road so the writer of the article shouldn't have any more complaints.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top