Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2018, 04:58 PM

7,444 posts, read 7,013,818 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milton Keynes View Post
St. Louis had no chance against those cities. St. Louis will not appeal to millennials and young professionals because it is not a progressive city. It relies too much on its past and sits by the wayside while the quality of life in the area continues to deteriorate.

I was there for a class in 2015 - a lot of potential, but it has a long way to go and the locals/natives need to be more motivated and welcoming to outside improvement ideas.
Newark has nothing on St. Louis other than proximity to NYC where Bezos maintains one of his residences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2018, 05:01 PM

7,444 posts, read 7,013,818 times
Quote:
St. Louis had no chance against those cities. St. Louis will not appeal to millennials and young professionals because it is not a progressive city. It relies too much on its past and sits by the wayside while the quality of life in the area continues to deteriorate.

I was there for a class in 2015 - a lot of potential, but it has a long way to go and the locals/natives need to be more motivated and welcoming to outside improvement ideas.
A somewhat cynical look at Amazon's process and where it may go from here:

The disturbing part about Amazon's HQ2 competition (Opinion) - CNN

Old 01-21-2018, 05:13 PM

4,009 posts, read 6,863,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTGR View Post
A somewhat cynical look at Amazon's process and where it may go from here:

The disturbing part about Amazon's HQ2 competition (Opinion) - CNN
Interesting. Thank you for sharing!

Old 01-21-2018, 09:37 PM

396 posts, read 653,397 times
Quote:

Milton Keynes! kudos on the name, your best yet, I was losing faith in your creativity but picking an mostly obscure English new town is a stroke of enigmatic genius.

Also points on staying on point with your message, keep posting you crazy diamond, you will get to us one day!

Old 01-21-2018, 10:00 PM

396 posts, read 653,397 times
It was pretty nice plan actually. the river spanning campus has a very nice feel.

I didn't think we had a real shot, but the proposal stacks up to or exceeds other proposals I have seen.

https://cbsstlouis.files.wordpress.c...ponse-open.pdf

This whole beauty contest has a very disingenuous feel to it. There are too many disparities between the 20 city list to reinforce any of the original criteria. Either there is secret criteria... or no real criteria and they have known the winner since day one.

Old 01-23-2018, 12:00 PM

4,873 posts, read 3,600,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbyBobble View Post
St. Louis brought this on themselves. St. Louis is too backwards and unwelcoming for something of this magnitude. Amazon is much to progressive for St. Louis. When STL decides it wants to let go of it's racism/classism/nostalgia/ionlygotothecityforbaseball then we'd have a fighting chance. Also, stop moving out west every time there's a problem in your area...it just makes it worse.
Funnily enough, I know a lot of north New Jersians, and most of them can't name the last time they visited NYC. Suburbanites not caring about the urban core isn't unique to St. Louis.

Also, LOL at "stop moving west when there's a problem" when we're literally talking about a company HQ'd on the west coast. Half the country picked up and moved west rather than deal with the legacy problems of the east and midwest, that's not a St. Louis thing either.

Old 01-24-2018, 03:44 PM

197 posts, read 264,827 times
I honestly think picking Indy, Columbus and Nashville over St. Louis is pretty comical. Those cities are much smaller than St. Louis and would go through some HUGE growing pains should one of those be selected. I thought transit was important in this proposal. Those cities don't have any, other than buses, as far as I can see. We have a larger CBD that could offer and absorb far more space than those cities. I think it'll likely be a much larger city or one near DC.

Old 01-25-2018, 12:29 PM

200 posts, read 632,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STL1980 View Post
I honestly think picking Indy, Columbus and Nashville over St. Louis is pretty comical. Those cities are much smaller than St. Louis and would go through some HUGE growing pains should one of those be selected. I thought transit was important in this proposal. Those cities don't have any, other than buses, as far as I can see. We have a larger CBD that could offer and absorb far more space than those cities. I think it'll likely be a much larger city or one near DC.

Maybe not Indy but both Columnus and Nashville (esp. Nashville) are on the up and up right now. There's a lot of comparison's being made between Nashville and Austin especially.

Old 01-25-2018, 12:31 PM

197 posts, read 264,827 times
I understand that they're on the "hot cities list", but those cities are still much smaller and I think there will be far more growing pains.

Old 01-25-2018, 12:36 PM

58 posts, read 66,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanfze55 View Post
You mean to tell me that our wonderful governor’s proposal to entice Amazon with a hyperloop technology that does not yet exist failed?
In the first pages of this thread I wrote: no way STL is getting it, given how difficult it is to attract talent and young qualified workers to the city. Many employers in the MSA are having a really hard time finding qualified candidates to fill their positions. Other posters dismissed my concerns.

Detroit community and business leaders explicitly asked Amazon why they didn't make the top20. Amazon's response: they were unsure that the Detroit MSA would be able to attract and retain the talent that a venture of this size would require. And given recent urban dynamics, Detroit seems to be more capable of attracting young professionals than St. Louis, so...

Young professionals from other parts of the country are more eager to move to Nashville or Pittsburgh than to St Louis or Kansas City. That's the truth, and recent demographic and economic trends show that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis