U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2017, 07:30 PM

21 posts, read 24,510 times

Advertisements

So for some background, I went to St. Louis for a week because I was seeing the solar eclipse and I thought I should make a vacation out of it. I had a lot of fun seeing the Botanical Gardens, City Museum, the Gateway Arch, and so on. I mostly saw Downtown, Forest Park, and Lafayette Square but most of what I saw was nice and there seems to be other nice parts of the city based upon the web searching I've done. So I'm wondering why St. Louis isn't a more popular destination for people who like city life? Maybe not like New York City or Seattle, but at least seen as a place like Detroit that is "having a resurgence." There's a lot of interesting architecture, a decent public transit system, places to see, and so on. Based on my reading, I've identified a few things that could be factors:

-Not a lot of economic activity (jobs) in the area
-Racial tension (although I didn't encounter any while I was there, I've seen a lot of comments about this on here)
-It's location in the Midwest/South, so it isn't in a "cool" region of the US like the coasts
-People just don't know about St. Louis yet. 10-15 years ago people didn't know about Detroit (beyond the reputation for crime and poverty), but now the downtown area is seen as a cool place to live

Am I off base? Are there things I've missed? Let me know!

Also, since I'm going to be looking for jobs soon anyway, I was considering looking in the St. Louis area. Living there might be different than visiting, but I really enjoyed being in St. Louis while I was there. I've done a little bit of browsing on Glassdoor, but just for a starting point, what are some good companies there that would be likely to have openings in Human Resources?

Thanks in advance! I look forward to reading your responses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2017, 08:18 PM

4,009 posts, read 5,171,833 times
Hello!
I am so glad to hear that you had a positive experience here! I'm a transplant myself (originally moved here for work over 10 years ago!) and I absolutely adore it. Prior to moving here the first time, I had never even visited, so I genuinely didn't know what to expect

To answer your questions:
1) Economic Activity: St. Louis is actually awesome right now in this regard. According to the St. Louis Business Journal, as of a week ago we were ranked the 5th best place in the U.S to get a job. There are record high job listings in the area and there is relatively low unemployment. Cost of living and housing is also relatively low.

2) Racial tension: As a Caucasian woman I realize my experience is not the same as African Americans. With that said, yes, St. Louis has it's problems, and there is institutional racism and poverty, not to mention a high per capita amount of police involved killings... but I do believe it is something that St. Louis can learn from, improve upon and eventually move on from. I certainly wouldn't let it deter you from living here.

3) Location: This is accurate. When I lived in NC, people who hadn't been to St. Louis joked that it was in "flyover country". I don't think some people know what to make of St. Louis, based on it's landlocked Midwest location.

4) People don't know about St. Louis yet. I think to a large extent this is probably true, but I think a lot of people also think of St. Louis negatively because of the amount of protests and/or riots we have had over the past few years. That aside though, St. Louis extolls a lot of virtues- it was a great place to live as a young single girl and even now 10+ years later it's an even better place to live as a mom of 3 young children. I'm proud to call it home.

Good luck in your job search! ♡

Old 09-19-2017, 08:50 PM

139 posts, read 84,900 times
Regarding jobs, the situation is better than one might think for a high-crime Rust Belt city. STL has one of the higher concentrations of Fortune 1000 companies per capita. We don't have a lot of prestigious, world class firms. But we do have a solid variety of large and mid-sized firms, and there is a growing startup presence. For corporate HR, you should have plenty of options. AB-InBev is probably the flagship company in STL, as the city is synonymous with the Busch brand. Centene is a large company that is continuing to expand and grow here. STL is one of the largest finance hubs outside of New York. Edward Jones, Scottrade (recently bought by TD Ameritrade) and Wells Fargo Advisors are all headquartered here and employ thousands each in the STL region. The Federal Reserve, Stifel and U.S. Bank also have large operations here and nice downtown buildings. In O'Fallon, MO (30 minutes from downtown), you'll find Citi and MasterCard have set up large operations. Other notable companies to consider for corporate HR that are headquartered here or have large operations would be Ameren, Laclede Gas, Emerson Electric, Boeing, Energizer, Nestle Purina, Charter, AT&T, Peabody Energy, Graybar, Amdocs, Reinsurance Group of America, Express Scripts, Monsanto, Enterprise, Caleres, SunEdison, and Mercy Medical. Perhaps others can provide more insight. But I can honestly say the only ones I've heard negative things about as far as working there are Express Scripts and Enterprise. But as you can see, if you're not picky about the industry you're in, there's no shortage of good companies to apply for.

Old 09-19-2017, 08:57 PM

139 posts, read 84,900 times
I'll add that STL definitely has its flaws. At this time, racial tension, the crime rates, and the Midwest/flyover factor are definitely working against STL. Essentially, STL just isn't the flavor of the week right now. Hence, educated Millennials don't exactly flock here. Only 20% of people in STL proper have a Bachelor's Degree. Plus, the city's public schools are trash. In many of the suburbs, though, you'll find an educated workforce, good schools, and high median incomes. But there is some great architecture and trendy neighborhoods, and that is starting to attract a younger group. In the city's favor are its reasonable cost of living, architecture, and the amount of amenities it has for a city of its modest size. The public transportation is mediocre. It's a car-centric city. Most of the region, like 90%, live in the suburbs and commute.

Old 09-20-2017, 04:46 AM

186 posts, read 125,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glamatomic View Post
Hello!
I am so glad to hear that you had a positive experience here! I'm a transplant myself (originally moved here for work over 10 years ago!) and I absolutely adore it. Prior to moving here the first time, I had never even visited, so I genuinely didn't know what to expect

1) Economic Activity: St. Louis is actually awesome right now in this regard. According to the St. Louis Business Journal, as of a week ago we were ranked the 5th best place in the U.S to get a job. There are record high job listings in the area and there is relatively low unemployment. Cost of living and housing is also relatively low.

2) Racial tension: As a Caucasian woman I realize my experience is not the same as African Americans. With that said, yes, St. Louis has it's problems, and there is institutional racism and poverty, not to mention a high per capita amount of police involved killings... but I do believe it is something that St. Louis can learn from, improve upon and eventually move on from. I certainly wouldn't let it deter you from living here.

3) Location: This is accurate. When I lived in NC, people who hadn't been to St. Louis joked that it was in "flyover country". I don't think some people know what to make of St. Louis, based on it's landlocked Midwest location.

4) People don't know about St. Louis yet. I think to a large extent this is probably true, but I think a lot of people also think of St. Louis negatively because of the amount of protests and/or riots we have had over the past few years. That aside though, St. Louis extolls a lot of virtues- it was a great place to live as a young single girl and even now 10+ years later it's an even better place to live as a mom of 3 young children. I'm proud to call it home.

I love seeing this! We have been here for a few months and it's so nice to see positive posts! This city certainly has some beautiful architecture. It's not like Chicago and it's sky scrapers but it's not suppose to be!

The BBQ can't be beat, and I'll take hot summers and milder winters any day.

I do wish it had a better public transportation system but maybe that will come, maybe.

I wish amazon comes here! Fingers crossed!

Old 09-20-2017, 06:34 AM

113 posts, read 222,678 times
Michigan1837
STL is awesome! Not only the city qualities you mentioned -- by the way, you would have LOVED The Hill with all the Italian bakeries, restaurants, little shops etc, the Zoo, the Art Museum, THE CARDINALS GAMES, THE BLUES -- I could go on and on in the city but the county is also wonderful. LOTS to do there as well. I agree with everyone else that STL is underated -- or maybe just the countries best kept secret. I moved to Florida for 4 years. IM BACK! I missed the roots of St Louis and just the overall lifestyle. Lots of friendly people and honestly, affordability -- I know it doesnt seem that way in the news sometimes but the majority of STL residents all get a long wonderfully. Come visit! STL would love to have you!

Old 09-20-2017, 06:51 AM

4,009 posts, read 5,171,833 times
I do have to add, you have probably read a thread on here saying that St. Louis isn't open to outsiders- whether that is true or not entirely depends on the individual, their experiences, expectations and attitude. My experience has been on the whole positive- many other parents at my children's preschool (in the city) are also transplants and overall love it here.

The quality of life for an educated person who enjoys city amenities is outstanding in relation to the cost. Also, the location means that you're within driving distance (~5 hrs or less) to a lot of other wonderful cities for a weekend trip, should the need for something different arise!

Old 09-20-2017, 07:52 AM

3,529 posts, read 2,173,136 times
I'll also add re: Detroit that St. Louis has not been quite as badly off as Detroit, and so Detroit is experiencing growth by recovering from a valley STL never reached. STL lost a similar portion of its population, but never went bankrupt. Similarly, STL may have been the original Motor City, but by recent times it was less affected by the auto industry downturn.

St. Louis is also smaller and more remote than Detroit, so its successes aren't as newsworthy, nationally.

Old 09-20-2017, 10:54 AM

138 posts, read 76,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbapasto View Post
Michigan1837
STL is awesome! Not only the city qualities you mentioned -- by the way, you would have LOVED The Hill with all the Italian bakeries, restaurants, little shops etc, the Zoo, the Art Museum, THE CARDINALS GAMES, THE BLUES -- I could go on and on in the city but the county is also wonderful. LOTS to do there as well. I agree with everyone else that STL is underated -- or maybe just the countries best kept secret. I moved to Florida for 4 years. IM BACK! I missed the roots of St Louis and just the overall lifestyle. Lots of friendly people and honestly, affordability -- I know it doesnt seem that way in the news sometimes but the majority of STL residents all get a long wonderfully. Come visit! STL would love to have you!
^Agreed with this. Tower Grove, Central West End, Soulard, Benton Park, and Skinker-DeBaliviere are some other cool neighborhoods.

Old 09-20-2017, 05:29 PM

21 posts, read 24,510 times
Thanks for your replies everyone! The information is appreciated. I'll try to address your points. I also have some questions that your posts made me think of.

Quote:
Hello!

I was a bit surprised to learn St. Louis is doing well economically. That's good though! Should make it easier for me to find work. You and raynfze55 also reminded me to look up home schooling laws since that's what I'll probably do when I have kids. The ease of doing so in Missouri makes the state more appealing to me.

The racial tension does make me a bit nervous. I am from Metro Detroit, so I am familiar with those issues, but how much does it impact day to day life? For personal reasons I am very familiar with being a minority, but it's not something I talk about constantly because I don't think it's the only part of who I am. From what I saw the people of St. Louis are generally friendly, but being a tourist someplace isn't the same as living there. I know you said it shouldn't be a deterrent from living there, so I guess I'm just asking if you (or anyone else) has other information they can add? I'm not trying to start any arguments, I just want to make the most informed decision possible on where to live.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanfze55 View Post
Regarding jobs, the situation is better than one might think for a high-crime Rust Belt city. STL has one of the higher concentrations of Fortune 1000 companies per capita. We don't have a lot of prestigious, world class firms. But we do have a solid variety of large and mid-sized firms, and there is a growing startup presence. For corporate HR, you should have plenty of options. AB-InBev is probably the flagship company in STL, as the city is synonymous with the Busch brand. Centene is a large company that is continuing to expand and grow here. STL is one of the largest finance hubs outside of New York. Edward Jones, Scottrade (recently bought by TD Ameritrade) and Wells Fargo Advisors are all headquartered here and employ thousands each in the STL region. The Federal Reserve, Stifel and U.S. Bank also have large operations here and nice downtown buildings. In O'Fallon, MO (30 minutes from downtown), you'll find Citi and MasterCard have set up large operations. Other notable companies to consider for corporate HR that are headquartered here or have large operations would be Ameren, Laclede Gas, Emerson Electric, Boeing, Energizer, Nestle Purina, Charter, AT&T, Peabody Energy, Graybar, Amdocs, Reinsurance Group of America, Express Scripts, Monsanto, Enterprise, Caleres, SunEdison, and Mercy Medical. Perhaps others can provide more insight. But I can honestly say the only ones I've heard negative things about as far as working there are Express Scripts and Enterprise. But as you can see, if you're not picky about the industry you're in, there's no shortage of good companies to apply for.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanfze55 View Post
I'll add that STL definitely has its flaws. At this time, racial tension, the crime rates, and the Midwest/flyover factor are definitely working against STL. Essentially, STL just isn't the flavor of the week right now. Hence, educated Millennials don't exactly flock here. Only 20% of people in STL proper have a Bachelor's Degree. Plus, the city's public schools are trash. In many of the suburbs, though, you'll find an educated workforce, good schools, and high median incomes. But there is some great architecture and trendy neighborhoods, and that is starting to attract a younger group. In the city's favor are its reasonable cost of living, architecture, and the amount of amenities it has for a city of its modest size. The public transportation is mediocre. It's a car-centric city. Most of the region, like 90%, live in the suburbs and commute.
Thanks for the list of companies! Being from a metro area that has good highways, I actually like that St. Louis has a good highway system. I thought the public transit was decent, although the train made me somewhat motion sick.

A question about the speed limits: in daily practice, at what point above the speed limit do people typically get pulled over for? When I was visiting, I went maybe 0-5 MPH over the 55 MPH speed limit, but I was getting passed by most of the drivers. The speed limits just seem very low compared to how fast most people were actually going. I don't plan on zooming past everyone, but I do want to drive with the flow of traffic without worrying about getting a ticket.

Also, how does photo enforcement work? We don't have that in Michigan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottiegal View Post
I love seeing this! We have been here for a few months and it's so nice to see positive posts! This city certainly has some beautiful architecture. It's not like Chicago and it's sky scrapers but it's not suppose to be!

The BBQ can't be beat, and I'll take hot summers and milder winters any day.

I do wish it had a better public transportation system but maybe that will come, maybe.

I wish amazon comes here! Fingers crossed!
I do like that St. Louis isn't a super large city. I went to Chicago years ago and didn't care for it. Maybe it was that I had traveled the week before and I was tired, but I like the larger amount of space that St. Louis had. The architecture is very nice as well, yes.

How cold do the winters tend to be? I'm from Michigan, so they're probably warmer in Missouri, but I'm just curious about it from a local perspective. How much windchill is there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbapasto View Post
Michigan1837
I did go to the Zoo and to a Cardinals game; I'm not the biggest sports fan, but the zoo wasn't bad. I'd like to see the art and history museums if/when I go back. Forest Park in general is very nice and I'd probably want to live close to it if it's practical.

Quote:
I do have to add, you have probably read a thread on here saying that St. Louis isn't open to outsiders- whether that is true or not entirely depends on the individual, their experiences, expectations and attitude. My experience has been on the whole positive- many other parents at my children's preschool (in the city) are also transplants and overall love it here.

The quality of life for an educated person who enjoys city amenities is outstanding in relation to the cost. Also, the location means that you're within driving distance (~5 hrs or less) to a lot of other wonderful cities for a weekend trip, should the need for something different arise!
I felt like the people I talked to in St. Louis were friendly as well, although I am very introverted so I'm not sure how easily I'd make lasting friends there. That's probably true anywhere I'd move to outside of Michigan and this is probably the biggest thing that would keep me from moving to St. Louis (or anywhere else).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal To The Core View Post
^Agreed with this. Tower Grove, Central West End, Soulard, Benton Park, and Skinker-DeBaliviere are some other cool neighborhoods.
The neighborhoods are very nice in St. Louis, yes. I read the St. Louis City Talk blog to get more background on some of the places that I didn't visit and the city has a nice variety of neighborhoods.

I hope I'm not overwhelming you all with all of these questions. Like I said earlier, I just want to make the most informed decision possible. From what I saw and what I'm reading, St. Louis seems like a very nice city and if I got the right job offer, it's likely I'd move there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or