U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2017, 10:02 PM

16 posts, read 7,556 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg10556 View Post
To be honest, traffic is the least of my concerns, simply because I currently live in & deal with San Francisco & San Jose traffic everyday. There’s no doubt it’s 10x worse than anything in St Louis. I will be looking forward to the traffic situation greatly!
My wife and I just moved to St.Louis from Santa Barbara 6 months ago... I grew up here, so it wasn't difficult for me to transition. We do miss California for its amenities, but we've found we are much more relaxed here. People are much more polite and easy going at work. As others have mentioned, there's definitely enough to do here to keep entertained. ...Plus, the dollar goes so much further here.

Anyhow, you are absolutely correct about traffic. For regular rush hour (no major accidents/ construction), traffic seems to move at about 15-40mph at its worst. Most of the traffic I see is on I-270 and I-64. What normally takes me 20 mins w/o traffic, might take me 40 in traffic (16 miles roughly). Seriously, compared to Cali, it is not bad at all.

With consideration to your outdoorsy lifestyle, I'd think you'd want to live west of I-270 (St. Charles/ Chesterfield). They're family oriented but much more convenient for trails.

BTW: ethnic food (if you're into that) is pretty awful outside of the city. There are some choices here and there, but I find myself driving 20 minutes to get ramen or sushi for example. ...but then again, I guess I drove longer than that on a regular basis in LA.

Last edited by roycel; 10-20-2017 at 10:10 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2017, 11:34 PM

139 posts, read 84,106 times
I would recommend St. Charles County. Both St. Peters and O’Fallon are consistently ranked as two of the top 100 cities in the US. And you can find a nice and newer 1500 square foot house for $225K, possibly even with a finished basement. School districts are pretty good... certainly not top in the STL metro, but they do a fine job. Dining and retail are both abundant, and downtown St. Charles is classic. Brick streets from the 1800s along the riverfront with family-owned shops and restaurants. It takes about 30 minutes to get to downtown from St. Peters with no traffic and 35-40 minutes from O’Fallon.

Don’t get me wrong—a lot of suburbs closer to St. Louis are very desirable. Kirkwood and Webster Groves are two of my favorite suburbs. You could find a house for $225K, but it would be small and not updated. That’s totally fine, too! But if you want more space, those suburbs are probably out of reach. Honestly, if you aren’t looking for walkabity or proximity to urbanism, there’s not a lot of reason to pay a premium to live in those suburbs. St. Charles County is very much stereotypical suburbia... if that is your thing, it’s a great place to live.

Old 10-21-2017, 12:55 AM

2,778 posts, read 1,451,379 times
St Louis is THE RIGHT MOVE for you: lower costs of living, less traffic, nicer people, big city amenities at lower cost and decent economy

Old 10-21-2017, 06:51 AM

4,007 posts, read 5,155,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanfze55 View Post
Donít get me wrongóa lot of suburbs closer to St. Louis are very desirable. Kirkwood and Webster Groves are two of my favorite suburbs. You could find a house for $225K, but it would be small and not updated. Thatís totally fine, too! But if you want more space, those suburbs are probably out of reach. Honestly, if you arenít looking for walkabity or proximity to urbanism, thereís not a lot of reason to pay a premium to live in those suburbs. St. Charles County is very much stereotypical suburbia... if that is your thing, itís a great place to live.
I agree with this and was going to say the same about Webster Groves and Kirkwood. Living in either location would be a dream for me, but I highly doubt anything is going to come up that is suitable in the long term for us in our price range ($230k). I think properties there are a good investment, but from what the OP has said, I agree that St. Charles County is the better choice.

Old 10-21-2017, 06:56 AM

1,922 posts, read 1,287,867 times
Again, thanks for all the replies! I’ve been looking online at homes and St Charles and even St Peters seem to be have good options.

I have no desire to live in/around downtown or urban areas so the “burbs” are for me.

Old 10-21-2017, 12:06 PM

707 posts, read 348,285 times
Yes, at that price range and with great schools I would look at St. Charles county or maybe Edwardsville, IL. It’s also possible you could find something in Eureka(prettier than St. Charles and Rockwood schools), Ballwin, Manchester, or Crestwood.

Old 10-21-2017, 12:43 PM

The main issue with the IL side is property taxes- they're definitely higher than the MO side. There are some really nice "bang for your buck" houses over there though.

Old 10-21-2017, 02:19 PM

186 posts, read 124,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glamatomic View Post
The main issue with the IL side is property taxes- they're definitely higher than the MO side. There are some really nice "bang for your buck" houses over there though.
I second the high taxes in Illinois. To the OP we have recently moved here from Chicago and are getting settled. Renting is a great way to take your time to get to know the area. We have spent the last few months at open houses and driving around and finally have settled on an area we just love and is very affordable! Take your time and good luck! Hope you like BBQ...there is some great brisket here!

Old 10-21-2017, 03:36 PM

1,922 posts, read 1,287,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottiegal View Post
I second the high taxes in Illinois. To the OP we have recently moved here from Chicago and are getting settled. Renting is a great way to take your time to get to know the area. We have spent the last few months at open houses and driving around and finally have settled on an area we just love and is very affordable! Take your time and good luck! Hope you like BBQ...there is some great brisket here!
Iím from So.Indiana/Louisville, of course I like BBQ!

Old 10-21-2017, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg10556 View Post
Iím from So.Indiana/Louisville, of course I like BBQ!
Be sure to check out Sugarfire if/ when you visit! They've got a number of St. Louis locations although I've only been to the Elm Street (St. Charles) one. They're crazy good!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis