U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-20-2008, 01:10 PM

13 posts, read 36,467 times

Advertisements

Hi, gang:

I'm in a jam. I finally closed on my new (OLD) home, only to discover that the company I had in mind to do the masonery & tuckpointing no longer does residential. My second choice in now contracting the work out and has boosted their prices accordingly.

Long story made short, we are planning to install a foam roof but have to have the brick work done first... And I am eager to Stop the natural "water features" happening inside the house... LOL

No, seriously...Help? There are so many folks who offer the services, I have no idea who to ask. If you've had a good experience with someone who does this kind of work, please chime in.

Thank you you all, in advance. I'm all ears...
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2008, 01:55 PM

238 posts, read 32,561 times
I haven't had to use a tuck pointer in years, but put a call in to a buddy of mine who rehabs houses ( a lot of them brick) and will get back to you when he calls.

Old 03-21-2008, 02:28 PM
TGS

361 posts, read 1,212,053 times
There is a St. Louis rehabbers group list serve. You will probably have a lot of luck if you post that question to them.

Saint Louis Rehabbers Club (http://www.rehabbersclub.org/subscribe.html - broken link)

Old 01-29-2009, 10:44 PM

1 posts, read 4,219 times
HMS(humesmasonry.com). They did a fantastic job on my home. Gentleman were very nice, too.

Old 02-23-2010, 02:51 PM

1 posts, read 3,609 times
Default Help in hiring a contractor

I recently bought a fixer upper here and one of the major jobs that I couldn't do was the tuckpointing. Having done this a few times I have learned how to protect myself when finding a contractor to do a job.

These are the important points in hiring a contractor:
1) Get at least three bids. If one is way lower then they will most likely do a bad job.
2) Check references.
3) Get an insurance certificate from the one you might use. Just get the name of their agent. Call and they will fax or email it to you.
4) Make sure they have a valid license for their trade if it is required. (get a copy)
5) Make sure their proposal is explicit in defining what they are going to do.
6) Make sure the contract shows a timeframe to get the job done( how many days it will take) and has a start and finish date. This will protect you from them starting and never finishing.
7) Never pay a large deposit. No more than $50 or so. You can make progress payments, but never let them get in your pocket for more than they have already completed minus around 10 or 15 percent. If they need money for materials then purchase them yourself and subtract the amount from your payment to them.

You should educate yourself a bit so you can tell if the are doing your job properly or not so that when they start working you can check up on them. If they are doing substandard work then you will know right away and can either chase them off or make them do it right.

The last tuckpointing contractor I used was St Louis Brickers. They were reasonably priced and did a very good job. I hope this helps someone.

Last edited by paparuss; 02-23-2010 at 03:11 PM.. Reason: bad spelling

Old 02-23-2010, 04:58 PM

70 posts, read 138,436 times
I will second the recommendation for Humes Masonry. I've used Terry (Humes) on several projects. He does excellent work and is very fair.

Old 02-23-2010, 08:09 PM

165 posts, read 256,504 times
We used Richardson Masonry for our house. He tuckpointed three walls, built one wall, rebuilt the cornice and chimneys and tuckpointed the foundation. His crew was fast, professional, and very good. If you'd like to swing by and check out his handiwork, just DM me and I will send you our address so you can do a drive by. He's also done a considerable amount of work in Soulard.
Home
314-276-0703

Old 02-25-2010, 08:18 AM

4,340 posts, read 1,350,375 times
Millenium Restoration and Development have done really great restoration jobs as well. Millennium Restoration & Development

Old 02-25-2010, 03:58 PM

165 posts, read 256,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmngrl8203 View Post
Millenium Restoration and Development have done really great restoration jobs as well. Millennium Restoration & Development
Agreed - Millennium does great work. It's worth pointing out, however, that Millennium often uses Richardson as their mason/tuckpointer.

Old 05-16-2010, 11:25 PM

1 posts, read 3,196 times
Default Heff's masonry is the one you want

I had to get three bids because of a fire with one of my buildings. One of them was a young man whom I got his number from an old partner of mine. He doesn't do any advertising, but is really really good. He gave me a 15 year guarantee that no one else would. He told me all of the ins and outs of brick work and kept me informed of what he was doing and why. Etremely professional, decent pricing considering it will probably last longer than the other guys I talked to, and just a nice guy altogether. I would be happy to recommend him.

His name is Gary
314-737-8026

Definitely do NOT go with St. Louis brickers or masonry works for sure!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
View detailed profiles of: