U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 10:59 AM

12,062 posts, read 17,842,434 times
Maybe you don't hang out enough in the Chicago and Chicago suburbs forum to see that the exact same thing happens in your parochial city too.

In fact right now there's complaining going on about how people in Naperville look like Vanilla Ice or something ... How 1950!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2008, 11:06 AM

379 posts, read 840,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
Maybe you don't hang out enough in the Chicago and Chicago suburbs forum to see that the exact same thing happens in your parochial city too.

In fact right now there's complaining going on about how people in Naperville look like Vanilla Ice or something ... How 1950!
But in chicago...THINGS HAPPEN. Things get done, because of political unity. Sure there's separation from south to north...But look at River East, South loop development. There's a whole new city being built in south loop.

Chicago is cook county. And the focus of chicago is its inner core, aka downtown.

St. Louis is st. louis city, and the other folks in st. louis county who hate the city. it's nuts. No wonder nothing gets done.. How many cities/ munincipalities make up st. louis county? How many aldermans in st. louis city? It's ludicrous.

Sure Chicago is a bit parochial at times, but its on much more micro scales....not city vs county...

Just look at our highway when coming on 55, right when you enter cook county. The lights, the infrastructure, the development. The county has the money to pay for it.

Daley has done wonders for this city, and has united it. Where's the unity in st. louis, honestly? my family was saying that people in high schools even hate each other and don't hang with people just because of the area they're from.

Old 04-02-2008, 11:12 AM

1,703 posts, read 3,570,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLCardsBlues1989 View Post
I don't think this is going to turn out well.

The city and county are both fine places to live, and both have good and bad points.

If your preference is the city, fine, if it's the county, fine. But please, no one needs to bash the other.
Now this is a good post.

Old 04-02-2008, 11:21 AM

1,703 posts, read 3,570,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoDude View Post
West County rocks. I'm so glad I live here.

I find the animosity towards places like Chesterfield pretty amusing. Considering that this area is one of the hottest real estate micro-markets in the state, has the best public school districts in the state, continues to attract businesses and new residents, and is indisputably one of the most scenic neighborhoods in St. Louis--it is also pretty ironic. This area is definitely urbanite hell--we're very Republican, very clean, and we have big yards (perish the thought). Sorry about that. Or maybe I'm not sorry about that. I don't know why I have to apologize for living in one of the most desireable parts of St. Louis. You city cheerleaders know that half of city residents would move in a St. Louis minute (roughly a year) if they were offered a place in West County. There are two groups of people in the city--those that can't get out and those that see themselves as pioneers rebuilding the urban parts of St. Louis.

And then you have your very vocal, but fortunately very small minority of people who don't live in the city but feel guilty about it and so malign all county residents as racists and fear-mongers. The easiest paradigm for these people is to paint all suburban folks as sheltered and hyper-wealthy and, thus, have never stepped foot inside the city before. Well...I've been to the city prolly 7 times in the last month (for leisure). And everytime I do go there, I always feel more and more fortunate that I'm living right where I am--in beautiful west St. Louis County, MO baby!

I'm glad that the city is up-and-coming. A better city makes for a better metro area and that's good for everybody. I love Forest Park, the Cathedral Basilica, and the Arch. What I don't love is City Guy--who thinks he is actually doing an incomparable moral deed by living in the city. City Guy believes that he is doing what nobody else has the stones to do and that by opposing him, you are forever a subversive outsider (thus why people like jojo refuse to acknowledge that people in Chesterfield are St. Louisans. So what are we? Chesterfielders? Chesterfieldites? Chesters? Chesterfieldionians?). The elitism would be obnoxious were its naivete not so darn charming!

So let me let you fine pioneers--City Guys--do your business and save a city (that doesn't really need saved). Meanwhile, I'll be here in the county with the other 75% of metro St. Louis residents living a boring, sheltered, conservative, rich, whatever-other-stereotype-you've-got-ordered-up life. And, you've gotta believe me, I'm going to actually be loving every minute of it.

1) I don't have any angst against Chesterfieldians. I'm not a fan of all the chain restaurants, but I do like Annie Gunn's and some other spots.

2) Schools are good and some parts are very scenic as well. It is also clean.

The problem or problems people have with your posts, are your ignorance and lack of current information in many of them. This lowers your credibility quite significantly when posting on anything outside of Chesterfield.

I don't think anyone here dislikes Chesterfield, and I am quite certain I have recommended it to several posters as a place to live. You complain about people who are divisive and yet you are one of the most divisive people here. And, again, usually with a lack of facts and lack of first hand experiences to support your opinions.

I will agree St. Louis has a serious problem with fragmentation and that imo hasn't improved a bit.

Old 04-02-2008, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitownwarrior View Post
my family was saying that people in high schools even hate each other and don't hang with people just because of the area they're from.
I have never experienced hatred or even dislike (other than typical school rivalry) from anyone in the St. Louis area based on High School. I'm curious if anyone else here has heard of this.

I have hung out with kids from most every schools district in the area, though perhaps this is because of my many and varied familial connections. Just off the top of my head I have hung out with (both in high school and beyond) kids from Kirkwood, Webster groves, Fort Zumwalt, St. Charles, Riverview Gardens, Hazelwood, Fox, city schools and innumerable private schools including Desmet, SLU High, Visitation... Oh gosh there's more but I'm kind of over this listing thing.

Old 04-02-2008, 01:39 PM

714 posts, read 1,239,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLCardsBlues1989 View Post
"Better" is a subjective term, though.

The county typically has lower crime, but also typically less culture and 90% white population. The city tends to have more culture and can be more dangerous.

So, neither is better. The suburbs are generally safe, mostly white, and typically boring. The city is usually less safe, more diverse, and more exciting.
Oh, I see. White people are boring and uncultured. I wasn't aware of that. How is the city more exciting than the county, other than because of the stadiums and the arch? One can go to a bar or restaurant anywhere.

If by exciting, you mean getting shot at, I definitely know what you mean. It would seem that "exciting" is a subjective term too.

Old 04-02-2008, 01:47 PM

287 posts, read 2,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpoeppel View Post
Oh, I see. White people are boring and uncultured. I wasn't aware of that. How is the city more exciting than the county, other than because of the stadiums and the arch? One can go to a bar or restaurant anywhere.

If by exciting, you mean getting shot at, I definitely know what you mean. It would seem that "exciting" is a subjective term too.
I agree with you on the white people part, because I hate when people say that an area has no culture and is "boring" because it is all white. But, I think what is annoying is that people move to the county 3/4 of the time to escape all of those scary minorities.

However, I will again note that you know nothing about the city of St. Louis. What's exciting? Because, we don't mean Applebee's when we say a bar, or Ruby Tuesday when talking about a nice sit-down meal, or Pizza Hut when we are talking about a good pizza.

We are talking about the things only available in the city and older towns; the mom and pop restaurants, 80 year old Irish pubs, etc.

You won't find those in a suburb that is 20 years old.

Again, I think users should be able to vote to ban users who come in to a CITY forum only to bash the city. You don't see me in Illinois bashing the southern Illinois forum out of my hatred for living there.

Old 04-02-2008, 01:55 PM

I can faithfully and honestly proclaim I have yet to be shot at in the city... If you have I'd love to hear the story, but it's pretty clear you're talking out of your butt.

What most of the suburbs in St. Louis and in America lack is a vibrant, walkable central area where there are restaurants, shops and bars. Some suburbs have this, including Kirkwood and St. Charles, but if you think all St. Louis has is the arch and Busch stadium I honestly feel sorry for you and all the fun you are missing.

Old 04-02-2008, 04:03 PM

5,827 posts, read 11,006,065 times
Obviously not all suburbs are entirely boring, but there's just not usually as much to do as in the city. In the city you have public transport (which makes it easier to get around), as well as Busch, Scottrade, the Ed, the Museums, The Arch, Forest Park and everything in it, as well as (usually) more authentic restaurants and places to hang out. And in my opinion it's also usually more exciting to meet people in the city because they come from so many different backgrounds and stories. More dangerous? Probably. But I don't think I know anybody who's ever been shot at there. My bro-in-law's Dad was killed in STL, but it was likely over a drug deal gone bad. I wouldn't expect that the average bystander in most parts of the city would just randomly get shot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis