Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2021, 12:59 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,014,750 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTGR View Post
I know this is very old, but I will never forget those Maul's barbeque sauce ads - because they were a constant presence on TV and the radio and my Dad did in fact Maul it.

Don't recall the pool one though.

How about "Crestwood Plaza where the BIG stores are!" and "For a hole in your roof or a whole new roof, Fredrick Roofing!" LOL

And some favorite memories...the haunted house on the Lemp Mansion property, close to the baby carriage factory I think...

And when I was 19ish, or 20...a friend of mine and I would drive over to Illinois to buy beer, and then drive back to Missouri, to a park off of Telegraph Rd (I think) and we'd sit on the bluff, and drink our beer. lol

Also, I know we mentioned KSHE once already, but I remember me and my friend that I drank beer with, going to the KSHE lot, just to say 'hi' and talk to whatever DJ was on the air at the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2021, 11:20 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,435,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post

The poster cannot find a suitable home... "I'm in Spokane. No place I've ever suffered has been more the degenerate white trash mecca. Rotten, horrible, unambitious, illiterate, fetid, perpetually on the make inhabit Krapkane, WA. No worse locale and I warn all away from this embarrassment..."
LOL! Even that's hilarious. Sometimes you just gotta love a curmudgeon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTGR View Post

I don't frequent this forum, and the other ones on city-data as much as I did years ago, but I recall there are many miserable people that associate their mental state with their current or former locations, but still sound miserable when they are somewhere else.
That's so true.

Old 09-02-2021, 10:09 PM

7,444 posts, read 7,010,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
How about "Crestwood Plaza where the BIG stores are!" and "For a hole in your roof or a whole new roof, Fredrick Roofing!" LOL

And some favorite memories...the haunted house on the Lemp Mansion property, close to the baby carriage factory I think...

And when I was 19ish, or 20...a friend of mine and I would drive over to Illinois to buy beer, and then drive back to Missouri, to a park off of Telegraph Rd (I think) and we'd sit on the bluff, and drink our beer. lol

Also, I know we mentioned KSHE once already, but I remember me and my friend that I drank beer with, going to the KSHE lot, just to say 'hi' and talk to whatever DJ was on the air at the time.
Frederick roofing is still using the same jingle today.

We went to drive thru liquor stores in Illinois a couple of times too. I don't remember if you only had to be 18, or they just didn't check.

KShe and sweetmeat ads. i remember driving my KSHE on Watson but not stopping. Also remember the old drive thru theater that used to be over there, forget what it was called.

Old 10-17-2021, 12:06 PM

89 posts, read 237,303 times
I do miss that Saint Louis, yet that Saint Louis was better for some and not so good for others here, traditionally. Yet better for others now. Progress is slow.

I'm in Mary-Tamm neighborhood, the town of Dogs. Suckered again.

The locals deify that owld Saint Louis timey nostalgia in the form of neighborhoods, restaurants (Olympia Taverna & Kabob House [worn down, not the same] on McCausland and Hodak's Restaurant & Bar [flavorless, ultra salty fried chicken [Go to Popeye's, and other places], yet not expensive]).

So, avoid Dogtown. Nothing Irish here in Soulard light land, replete with drunks in golf carts, save for the stupid bars with Irish names on them. Deified since these places have been open for 90 years. These are okay restaurants and are hyperpriced pub grub.

Saint Louis city is dying, slowly. A slow-motion analogue to Detroit. Detroit was waylaid quickly.

African American folks are leaving for the county. No longer merely white flight. In 1950 or so here, 9xx,xxx residents. In 2021, about 300,000 residents. StL City's response? Raise taxes in special taxation districts where areas are a tourist destination.

A case in point is what is now formally named "The Grove." It was a neighborhood of folks that found comfort of like minded folks residing in the same area. The city puts up "The Grove" signs at each end along Manchester / Choteau, razes some lovely architecture for new construction apartments that are VERY expensive. The city adversities The Grove as a a destination with the LGBT village implied. I was told by local denizens and others that have moved away the city turned this neighborhood in a zoo for display of LGBT folks at the bars and establishments.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Grove,_St._Louis

Told to me by Folks at the Grammophone bar in The Grove. Nice place and nice hosts.
https://www.gramophonestl.com/

Dogtown has wretched frame shack construction from the late 1940s to 1950s. With care, the 2-3 bedroom residences, usually on slabs, can do okay. Without care and they still stand they'll need to remediate or raze and rebuild. The streets are narrow with parking on both sides and only single vehicles can pass. Dodge-it driving. Dodge other vehicle, sometimes going too fast, dodge the city rubbish bins many do not return to their parked position,and on drinking night, dodge golf carts (as you do in Soulard, and I call Downtown Soulard Light, some are very expensive, that may also go too fast.

Roads are hilly and narrow. Plough service is slow and heavily salted. Get your car sideswiped.

Crime is rising fast. Houses, cars, garages are broken into regularly. More successful residents will install alarms on cars and housing, with many outdoor lights and covert surveillance cameras with infrared for night vision. And these residents are well-armed.

Real facebook page
https://www.facebook.com/groups/dogtownstl/

Another page of the same name:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dogto...0507439419235/

The page to record and post about unwanted activity:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/268885626568398

I adamantly recommend against Dogtown. Not for SLU/Wash U. students, not for anyone. Do not rent here as such properties are terribly maintained. StL city applies housing, building, and occupancy code unequally.

I got suckered for a rental. Terrible.

To Elsewhere.

Old 10-17-2021, 03:39 PM

25,685 posts, read 12,765,268 times
"The Bevo Mill is next to us" "1995 Gravois" & the Gorilla on roller skates. Steve Mizerany & Joe Fahrat's New Deal

Ozark airlines

Ted Drews frozen custard

Blueberry Hill bar where darts was the big thing

The original Pasta House restaurant, & The Hill's great Italian restaurants

Dick Weber's Bowling Alley, was it the Shamrock Pub inside?

Crossing the bridge from North County into Illinois to buy 8 packs of Miller Ponies because 1 of our friends was 18.

McDonnell-Douglas aircraft

The 1st time Laclede's Landing got refurbed, & the great Jazz bars they had there...was it Muddy Waters?

The Admiral stainless steel boat parked along the riverfront when it was a disco

Stouffers restaurant atop a hotel....it spun around

The original all-cement Bush Stadium with the arches...back when they used to steal bases & play small ball

Cardinals Football, with Jim Hart, Terry Metcalf, Dan Dierdorf, & Conrad Dobler

The St. Louis Steamers indoor soccer team

The wood ceiling inside the Checkerdome where Gary Unger, & the Plager brothers played hockey.

Going up in the Arch

The adult night clubs in East St. Louis

Octoberfest in Baden

Famous-Barr, and Stixx, Baer, & Fuller department stores

The St. Louis Zoo...it was free to get in, but you had to pay to park

The 270 Drive-in theatre in North County off Dunn Rd.

Old 10-18-2021, 10:11 AM

20,094 posts, read 8,995,406 times
The last time I drove to Denver I took Route 70 through St Louis I must say the decay of boarded up old buildings and burned out dwellings you see from the interstate make it a place you don't want to stop. I'm sure there are some wonderful places to visit there. The city needs some urban renewal desperately.

Old 10-18-2021, 10:48 AM

16,068 posts, read 10,723,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
The last time I drove to Denver I took Route 70 through St Louis I must say the decay of boarded up old buildings and burned out dwellings you see from the interstate make it a place you don't want to stop. I'm sure there are some wonderful places to visit there. The city needs some urban renewal desperately.
Interstate 70 cuts through north St. Louis, admittedly a place that needs help. I use the word "cuts" because the highway route was designed (intentionally?) to sever access to some of the old north city neighborhoods. Some were already in decline but the highway was not helpful. It also made living in the suburbs much more attractive, spurring the city's decline.

I suppose you could have taken a side trip off the highway and visited General William T. Sherman, Tennessee Williams, Dred Scott, Phyllis Schlafly, William Clark, Stephen Kearny, Rush Limbaugh, Eberhard Anheuser, Adolphus Busch, Sterling Price, and Sara Teasedale at the Calvary or Bellefontaine cemeteries. They are restful places and adjacent to each other. My Irish ancestors are there at Calvary, as well.

Old 10-18-2021, 10:50 AM

3,430 posts, read 4,252,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post

Someone can correct me, if necessary. I do not know the Ciity of St Louis well. But I wonder if what you saw is maybe the renewal that is already going on. I was on a ride with a friend through a neighborhead - many houses and buildings boarded up as you say. My friend explained that they are redoing the whole neighborhood. Buying up old houses, either tearing them down to rebuild or fixing them up if it can be done. Is that perhaps what you saw? We can hope.

Old 10-18-2021, 11:07 AM

16,068 posts, read 10,723,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post

The Admiral stainless steel boat parked along the riverfront when it was a disco

The original all-cement Bush Stadium with the arches...back when they used to steal bases & play small ball

The wood ceiling inside the Checkerdome where Gary Unger, & the Plager brothers played hockey.
The Admiral was 'the' thing for first dates for a number of years -- back when it actually cruised the river. Bob Kuban and the 'In Men' used to perform there. Remember "The Cheater"?

Anyone recall the Santa Maria?

Ike and Tina Turner were at the Club Imperial.

I'm one of the few that can say I saw the St. Louis Browns play at the old, old Busch Stadium (AKA Sportsmen's Park) way back in the 1950s. My dad was a fan. Old Busch Stadium was a architectural gem and I was sorry to see it go.

The Checkerdome was still the St. Louis Arena when I left St. Louis in 1976. I saw my last circus there when a guy dropped off the trapeze and missed the net. But the show went on, regardless. I saw some minor league hockey games there.

The Arena was just a few blocks from The Highlands amusement park where we had school picnics after parading with flags and banners, on foot, from the neighborhood school. That trek tired us out a bit before hitting the rides. In later years we went to Chain of Rocks Park or Holiday Hill in busses.

Old 10-27-2021, 09:58 PM

7,444 posts, read 7,010,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
"The Bevo Mill is next to us" "1995 Gravois" & the Gorilla on roller skates. Steve Mizerany & Joe Fahrat's New Deal

Ozark airlines

Ted Drews frozen custard

Blueberry Hill bar where darts was the big thing

The original Pasta House restaurant, & The Hill's great Italian restaurants

Dick Weber's Bowling Alley, was it the Shamrock Pub inside?

Crossing the bridge from North County into Illinois to buy 8 packs of Miller Ponies because 1 of our friends was 18.

McDonnell-Douglas aircraft

The 1st time Laclede's Landing got refurbed, & the great Jazz bars they had there...was it Muddy Waters?

Stouffers restaurant atop a hotel....it spun around

Cardinals Football, with Jim Hart, Terry Metcalf, Dan Dierdorf, & Conrad Dobler

The St. Louis Steamers indoor soccer team

Going up in the Arch

The adult night clubs in East St. Louis

Octoberfest in Baden

Famous-Barr, and Stixx, Baer, & Fuller department stores

The St. Louis Zoo...it was free to get in, but you had to pay to park

The 270 Drive-in theatre in North County off Dunn Rd.
I suspect you might be a few years older than me but probably not much because this brings back a lot of memories and I still live here. You were more north county I take it but still remember a lot of the other stuff.

Never experienced Octoberfest in Baden, but given its current condition, I kinda doubt that has occurred in a long time. I do remember Strassenfest (sp?) downtown, but that hasn't happened in years as far as I know.

Gary Unger brings back memories. I wasn't a huge fan but my best friend in grade school in the 70's was and his parents took us to a couple of games and Gary Unger was the star, later it was Mike Leuit (sp?) the goalie.

So many memories of that Busch stadium. Actually played three high school football games in it in the early/mid 80's, unfortunately lost all three.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis