Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2008, 08:26 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,983,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoDude View Post

East St. Louis can also be a fulfilling experience--but most visitors prefer touring the area with a piece and and a can of mase. But...hey...to each his own, right?
You just aint right, LOL!
I have always loved shopping on Cherokee St, such an interesting mix of shops.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2008, 08:27 PM

25,464 posts, read 13,570,117 times
Crime stats do not include St. Louis County. Only the city itself. Therefore, not a true picture of the entire area. All one would have to do is ask questions. Check with those at the desks. Whenever I have been in a city that I have not been familiar with, I have always received good advice and suggestions from the hotel desk clerks and management regarding shopping, dining, and entertainment. Good luck on your stay in one of the best cities. St. Louis has much to offer the traveler.

Old 03-22-2008, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwoods Voyager View Post
Crime stats do not include St. Louis County. Only the city itself. Therefore, not a true picture of the entire area. All one would have to do is ask questions. Check with those at the desks. Whenever I have been in a city that I have not been familiar with, I have always received good advice and suggestions from the hotel desk clerks and management regarding shopping, dining, and entertainment. Good luck on your stay in one of the best cities. St. Louis has much to offer the traveler.
A lot of hotels also offer concierge service for their guests. The concierges are a wealth of information, and will make reservations, etc, for you.

Old 03-22-2008, 09:21 PM

4 posts, read 8,442 times
Default Thanks for the information!

Wow, I've never participated in a forum, so this has been very helpful. Thanks so much for your help!!! I really would like more information about the best places to shop - no touristy places. I come from a place where everything is expensive, so if I can find really good deals, in a safe place !!

Also, is it difficult to drive around St. Louis?

thanks again!
Keni

Old 03-22-2008, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keni View Post
Wow, I've never participated in a forum, so this has been very helpful. Thanks so much for your help!!! I really would like more information about the best places to shop - no touristy places. I come from a place where everything is expensive, so if I can find really good deals, in a safe place !!

Also, is it difficult to drive around St. Louis?

thanks again!
Keni
first of all, when is your trip? How long are you planning on being in STL? The more info, the better we can help!

Old 03-22-2008, 09:38 PM

287 posts, read 350,332 times
Just remember; Don't go to Union Station.

Old 03-22-2008, 09:40 PM

LOL, we wont let her, too many other things to do!

Old 03-23-2008, 08:39 PM

5 posts, read 15,063 times
Here's some quick feedback from someone who lives in downtown St Louis: First, I absolutely agree with the folks who encourage you to avoid Union Station. There was a time when this wasn't a bad place to go shopping but now ... I think there are better places! (But there is some cool architecture -- and history -- there so it might be worth a quick peek!).

So where to go? As already suggested, there are some cool spots downtown along Washington Avenue. I love Good Works, most obviously a furniture store, but there are some gift-like items here as well (and you are supporting a local business!). Just walking up Washington Avenue, you should encounter some other small shops, most independently-owned. (My personal favorite is the London Tea Room, a little further west on Washington, but still within walking distance). If you are looking for anything St Louis-related, there is an architecture giftshop not too far from Goodworks and the book stores in the Old Courthouse and the Arch have some cool local books and the like.

When I want to do the mall-thing, I head out to the Galleria, a mall that sits next to a Metrolink station. I do have a car but I like using our light rail system as much as possible. The Galleria has the usual stores, but there is also a Crate and Barrel nearby and there might be stores in the mall that you would find interesting.

Also along the Metrolink is the Delmar Loop and there are tons of cool stores and restaurants. Lots of original stores with interesting art work and fashion. Lots of students are in this area because of nearby Washington University so the prices are pretty good.

So far, all of my suggestions have been within walking distance of downtown or along the Metrolink stystem. I have never had any problems with crime although I take the usual precautions that I would take in any city (i.e. I don't dangle my purse around or show the huge wads of cash that I don't really have anyway!). BUT -- there are some great spots that are more easily gotten to by car. Downtown Edwardsville (in Illinois) has some cute little shops (including one of my favorites, Beyond Timbuk Too) and downtown historic St Charles in St Charles County also has some cute, little shops. There are several other malls in the area including the outlet mall, St Louis Mills. Anyway, hope these comments help a little! Good luck and have fun in St Louis!

Old 03-23-2008, 09:36 PM

2 posts, read 8,203 times
Don't go to East St Louis (in IL), and avoid most of North St Louis (in MO). Be smart, don't help the bums downtown as they do put on little "help me, I'm hurt" scams, and you will be just fine. St Louis is safe!

Old 03-24-2008, 01:51 AM

4 posts, read 8,442 times
Thanks again for all the great information! I'm feeling a little better, although when you all say things like, "avoid North St. Louis" I don't know what this means. Relative to downtown, how far away is this? I went on line and saw The Boulevard and Chesterfield Mall. Is this in a safe region?

I'll be there next week. Which takes me to the next question. Whats the weather like? I heard there was flooding, and if this is the case, how bad is it? I am actually considering cancelling my trip.

I am coming from sunny HAWAII, and I don't know how to dress. 70 degrees over here is pretty cold for me, and I can't imagine what kind of clothes I need to pack either!!!

Mahalo (thanks!)
Keni
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis