U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2018, 01:26 PM

72 posts, read 54,654 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone. I'm currently in NYC looking to relocate to a place that on a teachers salary I can afford to pay my mortgage and car note with at least $20 left over each month to put in the bank. Could I possible achieve that on a teachers salary? I don't need a mansion, just a decent home in a neighbor where I won't hear gunshots every night. Here in NYC crack houses and abandoned homes with no walls are going for 900k to start. Most of the teachers here find decent homes for around 300-400k but they commute no less then 2 hours. It takes one lady 2.5 hours to get to work and 4 hours back! I just want a decent home for my the daughter and I. Any feed back will help immensely. Thanks in advance. BTW I'm currently paying 2100 for a two bedroom the size of a closet.

Last edited by msedwards83; 02-01-2018 at 01:43 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2018, 02:03 PM

190 posts, read 159,330 times
https://www.zillow.com/homes/7223-N-...,-MO-63121_rb/
I have several friends and family members that are teachers. They live in Kirkwood and Maplewood. This is a house in our neighborhood, Pasadena Hills, which we are huge fans of. It's definitely safe, but the retail is not as nice as Kirkwood and Maplewood. You won't find a better neighborhood for a lower cost, at least not that I have seen.

Old 02-01-2018, 02:32 PM

Thanks so much for the quick reply. I had no idea which area to choose. I would like to add that my family is black. Despite NYC being a "melting pot" there are many places that a minority person can't walk through let alone buy a house. As a teacher I have close friends that backgrounds are from around the world, but I'm just talking reality. Thanks!

Old 02-01-2018, 03:30 PM

990 posts, read 498,304 times
I grew up with a parent that was a teacher and yeah, it can be done here. Maryland Heights might be a good place to look. Safe, inexpensive, and fairly diverse. Pasadena Hills is nice, but the public schools suck (although as a teacher you have some leeway...my brother went to private school for free). Parkway North or even Pattonville would be better.This is close to where I grew up...nothing fancy but safe, good schools, etc.

https://www.coldwellbankerhomes.com/.../pid_22639052/
https://www.coldwellbankerhomes.com/.../pid_20671228/

Old 02-01-2018, 06:51 PM

4,009 posts, read 5,507,822 times
Maryland Heights was my first thought as well. I used to live there and can attest to its convenience and safety. It is affordable in the scheme of things.

Good luck to you!

Old 02-01-2018, 10:56 PM

1,898 posts, read 4,001,268 times
Yes. I have a co-worker who bought a renovated 2bdrm condo in Hazelwood (questionable schools) that was in foreclosure for $50,000ish. And she had multiple options to choose from at that price point. Hazelwood is by a lot of major employers, by no means is it in the boonies.

My 1st thought for out-of-towners with kids who want to rent for a bit while they figure out the area is Brentwood Forest--they are condo, so you'll be working with owners who rent their places out, but they start at around $1000/mo for a 2 bedroom and the area is excellent--great schools, safe, very centrally located. I'd echo as well Maryland Heights because there are so many rental options there.

Old 02-02-2018, 06:15 AM

7,181 posts, read 5,411,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msedwards83 View Post
Hey everyone. I'm currently in NYC looking to relocate to a place that on a teachers salary I can afford to pay my mortgage and car note with at least $20 left over each month to put in the bank. Could I possible achieve that on a teachers salary? I don't need a mansion, just a decent home in a neighbor where I won't hear gunshots every night. Here in NYC crack houses and abandoned homes with no walls are going for 900k to start. Most of the teachers here find decent homes for around 300-400k but they commute no less then 2 hours. It takes one lady 2.5 hours to get to work and 4 hours back! I just want a decent home for my the daughter and I. Any feed back will help immensely. Thanks in advance. BTW I'm currently paying 2100 for a two bedroom the size of a closet.
I think Kirkwood is on the higher end of the pay scale, but this gives you an idea about public school salaries:

http://www.kirkwoodschools.org/pages...ry_Information

Old 02-03-2018, 07:06 PM

67 posts, read 147,520 times
I am a teacher! I teach at a Catholic school, so my pay is lower than most public schools in the area. If you go to the St. Louis Post Dispatch website, they put out a list every year of local public school salaries. That will give you an idea of what different districts pay. St. Louis is unique in that there are SO many school districts in our metro area.
All that being said, I think you'll be able to afford rent/a mortgage and a car payment on a teacher's salary here. It won't be anything extravagant, but I have plenty of friends who are living on their own and doing fine. I don't know of any teachers who drive hours to get to work. I do know several who drive 30-40 minutes.

Old 02-03-2018, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAangel9190 View Post
I am a teacher! I teach at a Catholic school, so my pay is lower than most public schools in the area. If you go to the St. Louis Post Dispatch website, they put out a list every year of local public school salaries. That will give you an idea of what different districts pay. St. Louis is unique in that there are SO many school districts in our metro area.
All that being said, I think you'll be able to afford rent/a mortgage and a car payment on a teacher's salary here. It won't be anything extravagant, but I have plenty of friends who are living on their own and doing fine. I don't know of any teachers who drive hours to get to work. I do know several who drive 30-40 minutes.
Thanks so much for your input!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis