Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2018, 02:30 PM

2 posts, read 1,442 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone! I'm moving back to the Lou after a 3 year hiatus. I went to undegrad at SLU (Go Bills!), and have been in DC for the past few years doing policy and attending grad school. I've been lucky enough to get a job at WashU and will be moving back to the area and buying a home. WashU has a homebuying program, but I'm limited to the following neighborhoods: U-City, CWE,West End, Skinky D, Debaliviere, and Forest Park SE. I'm coming out in April to take a look in person, but would love to hear some tips on neighborhood vibes and safety. My girlfriend and I are moving together so I definitely want it to be a safe, but fun place with some diversity around (I'm African-American, it'd be nice to see some other people like me around). We've seen lots of great priced homes in U-City but are limited to the area above olive and below page (between Partridge and Sutter) per the program. When I was last in the area, that definitely wasn't the safest, but I'm not sure if it's up and coming now? Thanks y'all, definitely already appreciate the help!

Last edited by nygizzle; 03-01-2018 at 03:06 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2018, 07:52 PM

1,912 posts, read 4,688,883 times
Hi, fellow SLU alum that left the area and came back! I moved back here probably about a year before you left (I've been back almost 4 years now, I think...) I think the WashU housing $$ has been most noticeable in the Grove. It's definitely the most trending upward of the options, with new stuff opening all the time. We almost bought there, nearly every house was marketing to WashU affiliated people. It seemed like once Urban Chesnut moved into the area, it just caught fire and its the 'it' place to be. North of Manchester is still nicer than south of Manchester.

I'm not extremely familiar with that boundary in UCity, but to me, its the least exciting of the options. I want to say I remember there being some issues with homes flooding around the River Des Peres tributary in that area.

Old 03-02-2018, 09:20 AM

58 posts, read 66,917 times
Forest Park SE/The Grove is prob the neighborhood that changed the most while you were away. It's very safe and undergoing a lot of development. There are many nice restaurants and bars on Manchester, especially around where it intersects with Tower Grove Ave. It might be the less convenient area for you as it is on the other side of the Park from WashU, but that would definitely be my choice for an up-and-coming, fun and diverse neighborhood out of all those you mentioned.

Old 03-02-2018, 02:53 PM

197 posts, read 264,982 times
This is more of a suburban location, but we love the area. It's roughly 60% black and 40% white. Very diverse and a short uber ride to Clayton or CWE! Definitely an up and coming area.
https://www.instagram.com/pasadenahills/

Old 03-04-2018, 08:11 AM

2 posts, read 1,442 times
Thanks so much everyone for the comments so far! @STL1980 that neighborhood looks gorgeous, but sadly for the homebuying program I'm limited to the neighborhoods pre-selected by WashU. We'll definitely have to make out way up there to check it out when we get to town though. Sounds like Forest Park SE is going to be the neighborhood of choice. We figured based on the houses selling like hotcakes in that neighborhood so most likely we'll end up in Skinky D or Debaliviere, but we'll keep y'all posted. We're not coming till April so feel free to toss in any other opinions, thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
View detailed profiles of: