U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2018, 12:22 PM

6 posts, read 4,153 times

Advertisements

I am potentially moving to St. Louis from Milwaukee, WI. I am black woman in my mid-twenties with a couple of degrees, and plan on continuing with my Master's once I find the place I would like to move to. So far, St. Louis seems like a good move. The housing is more than affordable, entertainment seems to be just about everywhere, and the job industry in my field of degrees looks great. However, I want honest opinions about the race relations there. Milwaukee is labeled "the most segregated city in America". From living here all of my life I would agree based on how the city is clearly divided by ethnicity geographically (although that is going away with gentrification). Also, I would disagree because from my experience, people still intermingle with each other. You can really see this in various neighborhoods on the East Side. The real problems come when you have people from the surrounding suburbs, or from the rural areas in Wisconsin come to live in Milwaukee with their beliefs and attitudes, in my opinion.

I wanted to live in St. Louis for the longest until the Michael Brown situation happened. Now I am re-visiting the idea of being a transplant there. I cannot imagine that the event that transpired there did not affect the people of St. Louis at all. How would you describe the race relations in St. Louis from your experience?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2018, 02:55 PM

153 posts, read 116,989 times
My neighborhood, Pasadena Hills, is 60/40, black/white and it's amazing. Honestly race relations could not be better, but that's coming from a white guy in his 30's so I hope that's true for everyone. Certainly manly large cites including St. Louis, Milwaukee and Chicago have a ways to go with race relations overall, but come check out this neighborhood in St. Louis. We love it!

https://www.instagram.com/pasadenahills/

Old 06-14-2018, 04:10 PM

6 posts, read 4,153 times
Thanks for your reply. I will definitely look into the neighborhood. It’s a bit of a challenge to gauge the quality of neighborhoods based on your wants as an outsider. Also, for this thread to have been read many times with only one response makes me wonder how deep this topic may be for some. If anyone reads this and wants to PM me their thoughts, that would be awesome. Seriously, anyone.

Old 06-14-2018, 07:20 PM

1,877 posts, read 3,856,975 times
Similar to other midwest cities. The geographic racial divide is definitely there (just google Delmar Divide) yet you'll find neighborhoods that are more diverse.

I haven't responded because, frankly, I'm white, so I have little personal perspective on what living here is like as a black person and I don't like acting like some sort of authority on what it's like. That said, there's enough people who feel comfortable saying flat-out racist things right to my face because they assume I agree to make me very aware that there are problems. Not to mention all the statistics that certainly show systemic racism at work. At the same time, I'd say there's a push to make things better (a few things I've noticed: We Stories, a local NFP that's trying to teach white families how to talk to their kids about race & racism; work done by Ferguson Commission; civilian oversight board in St Louis City to review allegations of police misconduct; Arch City Defenders trying to address problems in the local criminal justice system). On the other hand, I think corporate leaders are a little silent on the issues and at a government level, things never really seem to change much around here.

Old 06-16-2018, 05:09 AM

5,224 posts, read 5,575,414 times
There are plenty of options for Black Americans to live and intermingle with other races in St. Louis. I am not really a going out person but I have friends who do and they rarely have the only one experience in a social setting. Especially in the city.

There are many suburbs south and west of St. Louis city that are over 90% White. Many times the people will still try to appear non racists with friendly conversations but fear or resent Black people or what they perceive as Black culture. It is sad but true.

As a Black male who interacts with many Whites in St. Louis area, I will say St. Louis has a race problem but it's not something most Blacks think about on a daily basis unless you work with a bunch of racists or you choose to live around them. I do have a friend who lives in suburban Kirkwood and is the only Black person on his block and has never had any what appears to be problems with his neighbors. The local police have given him problems in the first two years living there. It was like they where waiting for him.

So there is racism in St. Louis as in other cities. What I usually tell my Black friends who relocate here just as in Milwaukee or any other city it may take some time to learn about the local culture that has created the local racial climate. It is different but the same in every city.

Good luck with your move. St. Louis is a great place to live and can be a good place for Black Americans to move to. Black culture is very diverse here so when you find your place you may find it hard to leave or if you don't find your place you may find it hard stay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or