Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2018, 03:19 PM

43 posts, read 40,269 times

Advertisements

We are a family of young professionals with school-age children. We lived and worked in Southern California, and now we are relocating to STL. The new job is in Ferguson.

We are looking to buy a house in the $300k-500k range (could stretch it upwards if the house/deal is special). The key requirement is that the house is in a good public school district, especially for elementary schools.

Secondary priorities are:
(1) within 50-min drive to Ferguson during rush hours in the morning -- one hour is also possible if you tell me that the drive is not going to be taxing;
(2) to the extent possible, having a larger lot (i.e., 2-3 acres -- we feel we finally can afford it);
(3) we prefer well-built houses (e.g., all bricks, custom-built -- we dislike those cookie-cutter siding houses that are too close to each other);
(4) being in an up-and-coming neighborhood with more young professionals and potential real estate appreciation (I am keeping my expectation low here); and
(5) not too rural -- there should still be malls/town centers nearby.

People have recommended the west side, up to Wildwood, and the north side, like St. Charles and St. Peters, which are all fine. But I am also looking at Arnold and Imperial as well, since there are some special-looking houses with larger lots and seemingly decent schools ("seemingly" as I don't really know if those ratings are accurate). However, some discussions here suggest that the south side could be more prone to racism. We are Asians, and we do not want to be treated too "differently" (for example, not being asked too often "where did you originally/really/actually come from").

How do the school districts compare between the west, north, and south? Are Arnold and Imperial (and the surrounding neighborhoods) good for Asians? Any other suggestions?

Also, are septic tanks and water wells much more trouble/costly than their public counterparts?

Thank you in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2018, 05:06 PM

3,822 posts, read 3,259,928 times
DONT buy a house in Ferguson. Also I'm sure there are many other places that will pay better and located in places other than Ferguson Lol. Ferguson is a sh**hole.

Old 09-11-2018, 05:16 PM

858 posts, read 419,567 times
What do you mean by "Asian"? Moderator cut: unnecessary

Last edited by Count David; 09-11-2018 at 10:58 PM..

Old 09-11-2018, 05:22 PM

58 posts, read 66,298 times
"where did you originally/really/actually come from"

I am a non-visible minority (white European) and get that *very* often when dealing with locals. Big difference from when I used to live in the East Coast. Sorry, but that will be the midwest for you.

Old 09-11-2018, 05:58 PM

858 posts, read 419,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOforthewin View Post
DONT buy a house in Ferguson. Also I'm sure there are many other places that will pay better and located in places other than Ferguson Lol. Ferguson is a sh**hole.

I assume the OP will be working at Emerson Electric, a Fortune 500 company, which is headquartered in Ferguson. Unless of course he's the forum resident troll, which I feel is a high likelihood.

While I wouldn't necessarily recommend buying a home in Ferguson, it's far better than you give it credit for. Moderator cut: personal

Last edited by Count David; 09-11-2018 at 10:57 PM.. Reason: personal attack, don't let it happen again.

Old 09-11-2018, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosep View Post
I assume the OP will be working at Emerson Electric, a Fortune 500 company, which is headquartered in Ferguson. Unless of course he's the forum resident troll, which I feel is a high likelihood.

While I wouldn't necessarily recommend buying a home in Ferguson, it's far better than you give it credit for.
I don't think Ferguson is as bad as people think, but i am looking at the suburbs right now. As stated before, main concern is whether there are real issues with racism in Arnold and Imperial.

Last edited by Count David; 09-11-2018 at 10:57 PM..

Old 09-11-2018, 07:07 PM

Quote:
What do you mean by "Asian"? Moderator cut: unnecessary
South Asian, the darker variety.

Old 09-11-2018, 07:14 PM

3,822 posts, read 3,259,928 times
Quote:

While I wouldn't necessarily recommend buying a home in Ferguson, it's far better than you give it credit for.
Why would I want to live in a high crime area of St. Louis county if one has the cash said poster has? They can afford a half million dollar house. Why would one with that money want to subject themselves to living in a not so good area?

Old 09-11-2018, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Come on. This is uncalled-for.

Old 09-11-2018, 10:29 PM

451 posts, read 359,562 times
Quote:
Why would I want to live in a high crime area of St. Louis county if one has the cash said poster has? They can afford a half million dollar house. Why would one with that money want to subject themselves to living in a not so good area?
Perhaps they have different values than you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis