U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2019, 01:56 PM

78 posts, read 203,636 times

Advertisements

We are a mid 40’s couple, adult children who are on their own and we have two larger dogs. We are relocating to the greater St. Louis area for work in the next 30 days. We have been looking in many cities in the St. Charles corridor specifically Wentzville, as well as Arnold in MO in Jefferson County. We are also interested in the Monroe county area of Illinois, specifically Waterloo or Columbia. My husband is from that area. We know there will be a commute for my husband of up to 45+ minutes depending on where we end up living. He will be working a shift that should help with common commuting issues.

The things we are looking for are a sense of community, good schools to maintain resale value and low crime. We are hopeful that we will put final roots down so this could potentially be the last home we purchase.

Also, for those who are living in MO or IL currently, can you give me your thoughts on MO vs IL ?

Thank you in advance for any advice
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2019, 04:10 PM

3,728 posts, read 2,700,624 times
The IL side tends to be more rural closer to the city.

Make sure to factor in tax differences (including personal property tax in MO) when doing cost of living comparisons.

Aside from that, I feel like everywhere that's 30 minutes from the city is pretty much comparable in every direction, so it should be fine to decide based on job and family location.

Old 03-08-2019, 04:00 PM

78 posts, read 203,636 times
Thank you for the advice, much appreciated

Old 03-08-2019, 09:37 PM

577 posts, read 477,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StayTuned View Post
We are a mid 40’s couple, adult children who are on their own and we have two larger dogs. We are relocating to the greater St. Louis area for work in the next 30 days. We have been looking in many cities in the St. Charles corridor specifically Wentzville, as well as Arnold in MO in Jefferson County. We are also interested in the Monroe county area of Illinois, specifically Waterloo or Columbia. My husband is from that area. We know there will be a commute for my husband of up to 45+ minutes depending on where we end up living. He will be working a shift that should help with common commuting issues.

The things we are looking for are a sense of community, good schools to maintain resale value and low crime. We are hopeful that we will put final roots down so this could potentially be the last home we purchase.

Also, for those who are living in MO or IL currently, can you give me your thoughts on MO vs IL ?

Thank you in advance for any advice
All of those areas are decent. Jefferson County can be a bit hoosier in places, but Arnold always seemed alright. Wentzville is growing incredibly fast, probably faster than anywhere else in Missouri. Knowing your budget might help eliminate some areas.

As for MO vs IL? Not a big difference in the grand scheme. The IL side has a lot more open space, less traffic, but lacks some of St. Louis' amenities. Real estate taxes are definitively higher in IL, but income taxes are lower, they don't tax personal property, and they don't tax retirement. The tax differences strongly hinge on people's balance of home value and income.

Old 03-13-2019, 03:13 PM

42 posts, read 33,918 times
I agree with RisingAurvandil. Knowing your budget + where your husband is commuting to would be helpful. Also, whenever I compare MO vs IL in terms of taxes, it usually balances out. Columbia area definitely has some very nice properties.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis