Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 10:39 AM

63 posts, read 223,242 times

Advertisements

Do you like Lemay? I'm coming to St. Louis COMPLETELY clueless. It's scary to move. I'me from Kansas City.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2008, 10:42 AM

Sorry, I obviously can't spell. Ha!

Old 05-15-2008, 10:53 AM

60 posts, read 375,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCLucymom View Post
Sorry, I obviously can't spell. Ha!
I can NEVER speil so its all good! LOL

We just moved to Lemay in Feb. So far its pretty nice, havent had any problems! We bought a 2 story 1800 sq ft 4 bedroom 2 bathroom house for $117,000...you wont find that in Mehlville! At least we hadnt...we looked for months before we finally found this house and got it! We looked all over South County for a house this size and really the only area we were having any luck in finding anything in our price range was Lemay! We also looked in the Jefferson County area as well. Houses are much cheaper there then in St Louis, and its right outside of St Louis!

Where are you or your Husband gonna work??? Would you be willing to live right outside of St Louis??? If so, have your realtor look in the areas of Arnold, Fenton, High Ridge, House Springs, Imperial, Barnhart! All very nice areas and you get more for your money then you would in St Louis!

Just some suggestions for you!!!

Old 05-15-2008, 11:02 AM

How Big of a house are you looking for??? How many bedrooms???

There are quite a few houses on my actual street which are for sale! Im thinking they are pretty cheap too, less then $120,000. But I am thinking most of these houses are 2 bedrooms, if they are 3 bedrooms they all have tiny rooms!

Old 05-15-2008, 11:12 AM

We'd like 3+ bedrooms and 2 bathrooms. Our house in Kansas City was a 4 bd 3bth with 2100 sq ft and sold for $147,000. It was very nice and in a great area. I was shocked when I started looking at houses in St. Louis and saw how much more they were. I just assumed KC and St. Louis would be very similar in prices. Of course the housing market in KC is very bad right now. Our house actually sold for $15,000 under the appraised value and it took 8 months. But, I know it was all in God's timing.

Old 05-15-2008, 11:17 AM

My husband was a cop in Overland Park (a suburb of KC) for many years. He just went to a Federal Police Academy in Maryland for 3 months of training. My kids and I are staying with my folks in Arkansas until he graduates in July. He will be a Federal Postal Inspector and will work a couple of blocks from the stadium in downtown St. Louis. We don't want to be in St. Louis. We want a suburb, but with gas like it is, not TOO far away. I'd be happy if he didn't have to drive longer than 25 min. to work each day. We've also heard it's best to take 55 or 44 into town because of major construction on one or more of the other highways. We definitely want to be on the west/south side. That's where everyone keeps telling us to look for safety reasons. It's also closer to my folks in Arkansas. My hubby's sister is married to a Coastguardsman. He was just transferred to St. Louis from Alaska (6 months ago). They bought on the IL side. We are trying to avoid IL taxes.

Old 05-15-2008, 11:20 AM

Yea know sadly St Louis has pretty cheap houses too! I have friends in New York and they said a house in the Ghetto is at least $400,000! I freaked out when they said that LOL thats CRAZY! My Husband and I were watching some show on cable and these people were redoing a house...they bought it for like a Million Dollars....It needed some major work to be done to it too and it was only a 1 bedroom house...it was in California...I was like like OH MY GOD THATS CRAZY LOL Guess we should all be happy St Louis and KC are cheap living LOL

Old 05-15-2008, 11:23 AM

Yes ~ since I got here (my folks' house) I've been stuck on HGTV. I didn't have that in KC. I LOVE watching and I'm constantly asking myself what in the world these people do for a living. I'm not just talking about the ones buying the $2,000,000 summer houses, but the ones buying the 2 bedroom, 1 bth, no basement for $400,000. I guess the wives work full-time and the husbands work 2 jobs. They probably don't have any furniture inside their houses! Heehee!

Old 05-15-2008, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCLucymom View Post
My husband was a cop in Overland Park (a suburb of KC) for many years. He just went to a Federal Police Academy in Maryland for 3 months of training. My kids and I are staying with my folks in Arkansas until he graduates in July. He will be a Federal Postal Inspector and will work a couple of blocks from the stadium in downtown St. Louis. We don't want to be in St. Louis. We want a suburb, but with gas like it is, not TOO far away. I'd be happy if he didn't have to drive longer than 25 min. to work each day. We've also heard it's best to take 55 or 44 into town because of major construction on one or more of the other highways. We definitely want to be on the west/south side. That's where everyone keeps telling us to look for safety reasons. It's also closer to my folks in Arkansas. My hubby's sister is married to a Coastguardsman. He was just transferred to St. Louis from Alaska (6 months ago). They bought on the IL side. We are trying to avoid IL taxes.
Oh yea I hear IL takes are Crazy! We were going to look into IL but we never did because our Agent couldnt help us in IL!

Arnold/Fenton areas are both right there next to St Louis...in fact part of Fenton is considered to be St Louis County and the other part of Fenton is considered to be in Jefferson County...that shows you how close they are to STL LOL But they have some Beautiful Houses!

If you would be instrested in looking into Jefferson County area I think House Springs is only 10 Miles out of St Louis. That was the furtherest we would look into Jefferson County. Arnold, Imperial and Barnhart are right there off of 55!

I hope this all helps some!

Old 05-15-2008, 11:29 AM

Yes. thank you. I actually just went into the MLS listings to see what houses were listed at in Lemay. I typed in $125,000 - $175,000. Only 1 house came up and it looked pretty trashed. I'll have to ask my realtor to check into the area. She has sent me a LOT of houses in Mehlville. That is why I thought it was a cheaper area. She knows we can't afford much more. EEK!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis