Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 10:53 AM

63 posts, read 223,283 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to St. Louis at the end of July. I've been sent several houses in Mehlville from my realtor. I've got 2 elementary school aged children. How are the Mehlville schools? Thanks! Linda
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2008, 05:53 PM

4 posts, read 19,588 times
Mehlville is a typical good suburb. It's excessively overpriced these days (Went from 140K to 200K since 2000 with an ajoining flatness in income and a very small decrease in population), so values there are going to be soft for a while.

With that said, Mehlville is a good school district. I graduated from there and the only "bad" experience I had was your standard kid stuff. No real problems with guns or violence, and good teachers.

Good luck.

Old 05-04-2008, 06:15 PM

With the financial "problems" they are having, is anyone hearing that this will effect the learning for the kids? For example, any rumors of getting rid of teachers and having more children in each class?

Old 05-04-2008, 07:21 PM

4 posts, read 19,588 times
There hasn't been any talks of the such as far as I know.

Old 05-05-2008, 12:20 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,623,677 times
Obviously just a columnist, but worth a read anyway: South County News: Mehlville, We Have a Problem!!

Info from the post: STLtoday - Mehlville weighs bond transfer (http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/news/stories.nsf/education/story/F04AA6274B3D744E8625743600105DCA?OpenDocument - broken link)

Old 05-15-2008, 07:29 AM

One person posted earlier that Mehlville has gotten much more pricey recently. Our realtor keeps sending us listings in Mehlville because they seem to be so much cheaper than surrounding areas. Does anyone know why? Does the school district have anything to do with that? Thanks!

Old 05-15-2008, 08:44 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,623,677 times
I don't have any first-hand proof that the school situation is adversely affecting property values in the district, but you're right to think of that; it's not a stretch to come to that conclusion.

That doesn't mean they'll have these problems forever of course; in 5 years people may have forgotten all about it (or they might not). They're going to have to get their problems figured out somehow, you'll just have to decide if you are willing to gamble that they will.

Old 05-15-2008, 09:09 AM

60 posts, read 375,617 times
Born and rasied in the Mehlville School DIstrict! The School District is Great! We didnt have any problems with the district and I am the youngest of 4 Kids my oldest brother being 10 yrs older then me so we had a LOT of time put into the district!

My Husband and I just bought our first house and we are on the outskirts of Mehlville/Lemay but on the Lemay side. I would have no problems with My Kids going to Mehlville School District! I even worked for the District too and so did my brother for 11 years!

Mehville has average priced houses. We would have loved to buy in the Mehlville/Oakville area but they were out of our price range. You wont find much under $150,000 in Mehville unless its like a tiny small 2 bedroom house! Lemay which is on one side of Mehlville is a lot cheaper then Mehlville and Oakville is a lot more expensive then Mehlville. Oakville is building a lot more houses and one reason why its more expensive them Mehlville. Mehlville is all older houses been around for ages. Our first house was on the Mehlville side and it was built by my parents in the 60's then we moved to Oakville which is the same district just different High Schools and we built that house in the early 90's! The difference between Mehlville area and Oakville area is that the Oakville area is a LOT more Snobby and the people have a lot more money but its all the same School District which is Mehlville!

I dont know if I have helped you any or not but I hope that I have! If you have ANY more Questions on Mehlville School District please dont hesitate in asking! Like I said we were a part of that district from the early 70's to late 90's!

Old 05-15-2008, 10:19 AM

Is Lemay also part of the Mehlville district? I didn't quite understand what you were saying.

Old 05-15-2008, 10:25 AM

60 posts, read 375,617 times
No Lemay is in the Hancock School district! Thats why I am on the outskirts of Mehlville/Lemay. My Kids will be going to the Hancock school district, had we been down 2 streets we would have been in the Mehlville School District! Its all a great area though, South County is all nice! Low Crime rate..never had a problem with any of the area and I have lived in it my whole life...29 yrs! Good Luck to you on finding a house!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis