Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2008, 08:34 AM

15 posts, read 77,296 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

I'm planning on relocating to St. Louis in August for grad school at UMSL. I'm originally from Boston and am used to city living, but most of the areas I've lived in in Boston have been pretty safe (not many car break-ins, haven't heard of any muggings nearby). I've been reading the related threads about which areas are safest in St. Louis to live, and I've talked to some people who have lived in the area. So, I think I've narrowed down my choices to: U City (what I saw of the Loop looks really fun!), Richmond Heights and maybe Clayton or Brentwood.

I've been told specifically, that the area just north of Delmar and off of Midland is a great place for transplanted grad students. The streets are all named after universities (Amherst, Dartmouth, Tulane). However, I've also read through these threads and other sites that north of Delmar is not such a great place to live. I'll be moving to St. Louis with my dog (who is not very intimidating), and I'll most likely need to walk her relatively late at night. Do you guys have an opinion of this area and whether you think it would be a safe and fun place to live for a twenty-something female grad student?

Also, I'm interested in Richmond Heights, but I can't really tell if it is more of a family area and a place where I would ALWAYS need my car. I do like the fact that it is close to Forest Park, but still sounds pretty safe. Since living in the city, I haven't had a car in over 6 years and I really prefer to walk, but I plan on driving to UMSL instead of taking the MetroLink. Can anyone give me their opinion of Richmond Heights?

This is an amazing forum and I have learned so much about St. Louis just from reading your posts! I'm excited to get out there and experience it myself soon!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2008, 12:35 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,799,063 times
kith, you may want to check out the area just immediately west of U City Loop on Delmar, between U city and Clayton. It is very safe, lots of interesting older homes and apartments. It's very nice and very safe--lots of trees and nice parks. We live in Brentwood and love it, but when our kids get out of school we'll probably move over there just because it's more fun. Central West End is also nice and a fun place, but the stretch of Delmar between U city and CWE is not too great. Oh yes, and Richmond Heights and Brentwood are really more family oriented. It would still be fine, but maybe not as much what you seem to be looking for.

Old 04-25-2008, 02:16 PM

25,464 posts, read 13,574,744 times
Smile Some links

Previous poster gives good advice. U City and west is probably what you are looking for. Might want to check this link if you haven't already: University City, MO - Official Website - New to U.City?.... and also:Richmond Heights MO - Official Website
and might try: StLouisCounty-MO.com - The Gateway to St. Louis County, Missouri.

to get some additional reading. Good luck to you and enjoy this wonderful city and county.

Old 04-29-2008, 09:22 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,799,063 times
Another nice area you might like to look into is on Clayton road just east of Big Bend by the Esquire. It seems to be a nice walkable neighborhood with lots of shopping nearby. One thing I need to point out though--are you aware of the closing of Hwy 40? That's one of our main thoroughfares, and while it is open at Big Bend, it is completely closed off just a couple of exits down and will be for the rest of the year. Then another part will be closed the following year. We're dealing with it, but do keep it in mind when apt hunting.

Old 04-30-2008, 08:30 AM

551 posts, read 3,123,188 times
Central West End is great and full of a lot of students, as is the Delmar Loop. Both are very walkable neighborhoods with lots to do. Richmond Heights isn't that great. I used to pass through there and it always seemed a bit crummy and run down. Brentwood is pretty nice, but is typical suburbia. Lots of chain stores and restaurants, have to drive everywhere...basically nothing unique...but, it's nice and safe. More of a middle-aged family crowd. Downtown is really great too--the Washington Avenue loft district has tons to do and draws mostly young, sophisticated people at night. Anyway, I'd recommend:

1) Central West End (right around Maryland Plaza and N. Euclid Ave)
2) Delmar Loop (along Delmar Blvd close between N Big Bend Blvd and N Skinker Blvd)
3) Downtown (along Washington Ave between N Broadway Ave and N Tucker Blvd)

These are my 3 favorite places in St. Louis and are the most popular for young people, in my opinion (and coming from a young person). Lots to do here, walkable, and lively at night (read: fairly safe on the main paths).

Old 05-12-2008, 12:27 PM

15 posts, read 77,296 times
Thank you so much for all of your responses. I feel more prepared for apartment hunting now.

One last request: I know that previous posters have described Richmond Heights as more family oriented and sort of run down, but is it safe (i.e. could I walk my dog around there past 9pm)? And what about Dogtown? Is it pretty much the same as Richmond heights?

THANK YOU!!!!!!

Old 05-12-2008, 06:04 PM

1,869 posts, read 5,803,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KITHforlife View Post
Thank you so much for all of your responses. I feel more prepared for apartment hunting now.

One last request: I know that previous posters have described Richmond Heights as more family oriented and sort of run down, but is it safe (i.e. could I walk my dog around there past 9pm)? And what about Dogtown? Is it pretty much the same as Richmond heights?

THANK YOU!!!!!!
Safe on both counts.

Old 05-13-2008, 08:57 AM

2,667 posts, read 6,780,592 times
lol Richmond Heights is not run down. It prettymuch blends in with its neighbor - Brentwood.

If you choose U City, stay south or west of the loop - or north for about a half mile (like you described earlier).

If you decide to go the Richmond Heights area or the Clayton-ish area, make sure to rent somewhere that is close to the Metro if you don't want to have to depend on a car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis