U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2020, 09:44 AM

998 posts, read 1,993,352 times

Advertisements

Usually I am replying to these type threads but I guess now I'm on the other side of the issue.

I have a child about to start at Washington University and we are looking at housing options. Our goal is to stay within 10 or 15 minutes of the campus so we have been checking out neighborhoods in that range. We have identified a couple of options in the Clifton Heights area close to I-44.

Any opinions on the safety of that area? Anything to be looking out for? Suggestions on other areas we should check out?

Thanks for any input.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2020, 01:24 PM

1,666 posts, read 804,401 times
How old? A freshman or a grad student? If an undergrad, I'd stay closer than that to campus. Most prefer to stick to Clayton, UCity, DeMun, maybe Hi Pointe. But I'd consider Clifton Heights to be pretty safe, yes.

Old 04-25-2020, 01:40 PM

451 posts, read 222,297 times
I assume your child is going to graduate school, yes?

Clifton heights is safe, no question. Also great access to Maplewood, Clayton, CWE etc. If your child finds Clifton Heights to be a little too sleepy, I recommend looking just to the north in the area called Dogtown.

Old 04-25-2020, 03:43 PM

Thanks for the replies. Yes the kid is starting grad school and will probably there 4-6 years. She has a friend that rents a house in that area and they are discussing becoming roommates.

Old 04-25-2020, 04:05 PM

451 posts, read 222,297 times
Wow, good for her! You must be a proud father. Getting into WashU is no easy task.

I think its in her interest to check out The Grove neighborhood, Maplewood, the Central West End, Richmond Heights, DogTown, and he neighborhoods around South Grand (this may be more like 20 min than 10-15).

Good luck!

Old 04-27-2020, 08:24 PM

1,911 posts, read 4,221,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexingtonDad View Post
Usually I am replying to these type threads but I guess now I'm on the other side of the issue.

I have a child about to start at Washington University and we are looking at housing options. Our goal is to stay within 10 or 15 minutes of the campus so we have been checking out neighborhoods in that range. We have identified a couple of options in the Clifton Heights area close to I-44.

Any opinions on the safety of that area? Anything to be looking out for? Suggestions on other areas we should check out?

Thanks for any input.
Clifton Heights is largely considered safe, if not a tad sleepy. I'm assuming the WashU main campus and not medical campus?

I think living walking distance/off the Metro or bus line is somewhat popular because parking is expensive/a pain.

In terms of other options, just about anything within 10 mins of the main campus heading west or south is probably fine. Things get questionable fairly quickly as you head north. Things transition from "lots of WashU affiliated people" to not. East also involves more judgement.

Old 05-01-2020, 03:39 AM

22 posts, read 16,604 times
I lived in the Demun neighborhood when I was at WashU (class of '00). My feeling is that Demun was near 50-50 split for grad school students. I'd say the Moorlands (cross streets Hanley and Clayton, NE of that quadrant) had an even greater grad school presence. It is very safe. You may get occasional thefts, but compared to where my friends lived (DeBaliviere and U-City near the loop), that is nothing. Up there, there are robberies and muggings. That doesn't happen in Clayton.

Clifton Heights... Hmm... I don't think I knew a single person who lived that far from campus. If I were her, I'd live as close to the school as possible. I spent many nights studying all night on campus (it seems like everyone did btw), so my recommendation is to be as close to it as possible.

So at this point, I'd look into WashU's bus system. Even if she has a car, it's a convenient alternative. Parking is expensive, and even with a pass, it can be a PITA. ...At least on the main campus.

Take a look at the link below. Click on each of the routes because there are maps showing the stops:
https://parking.wustl.edu/students/communting-students/

If your budget is driving the interest in Clifton Heights, I would suggest dogtown or maplewood (though I don't htink the shuttle buses drive that far south).

Also, if she's at the Medical School (in the Central West End which is east of Forest Park), disregard my advice about Clayton. She'll be better off closer to the medical school...

Old 05-01-2020, 01:43 PM

362 posts, read 541,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexingtonDad View Post

Thanks for any input.
Clifton Heights is a nice, safe neighborhood with a great hidden park, I live pretty close and its a great family type of place, as far as city neighborhoods go I would actually call it a bit sleepy.

However, it is a bit of a trek to campus, about 3 miles.

I would recommend Dogtown, 1.5 miles to campus, lots of different housing types from affordable to modest luxury, great commercial strip with a brewery, good pizza place and some decent bars, literally across the street from Forest Park, I know there is some occasional nuisance crime there, but it is safe. Close to the CWE, The Hill and The Grove.

Had a college friend from out-state MO who lived there in the mid 90's while his wife attended law school at Wash U, he loved it so much they bought a house there after she graduated and stayed for several years before life took them elsewhere, its always our first stop when he comes back in town.

Old 05-02-2020, 06:30 AM

Thanks for the advise guys, the plan to move to Clifton Heights fell through and we are back on the market. I'm actually thinking about buying a house instead of renting for the next 4-6 years. If you know of any homes in the area link me up.

Old 05-05-2020, 05:16 PM

How about the Lafayette Square/LaSalle area? Safe? Improving or in decline? All opinions welcome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis