Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2020, 03:01 PM

952 posts, read 2,621,285 times

Advertisements

What questions do I need to ask myself before making such a move? The move is based on my company opening another office there.

I'm single mom of 2 girls aged 9 and 5 (4th grade and kinder in fall).

They love the beach, road trips, parks and scenery.

I'm moving from San Antonio, TX.

I'll be looking to rent a house rather than an apartment (preferably a single story).

The areas according to the location of the new office, I am looking at are:

Chesterfield
Clarkson Valley
Ellisville
Ballwin
Machester
Town and Country
Twin Oaks
Creve Couer
Overland
Kirkwood

How does the weather in MO compare to 100 degree TX? Do you get the four seasons?

Lastly, Tell me about the school districts? Are there any Charter schools? Do they take the STARR test?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2020, 03:16 PM

2,125 posts, read 1,374,851 times
Other than Overland, the areas on your list all have very good schools...Rockwood, Parkway, Kirkwood, Ladue...all top districts. The STARR test is probably a TX thing, but MO has standardized testing, yes. Charter schools are really only in the city. A lot of private schools as well. I wouldn’t do Overland if you want public schools.

Four Seasons, yes. Colder winters than you are used to, but milder than the northern Midwest. Summer is hot and humid, but not as bad as San Antonio. It’s beautiful today, 81...spent the whole day by the pool with my kids.
No beach nearby really, but you knew that. Lots of scenery to the South and Southwest in particular.

Old 06-24-2020, 10:15 PM

7,442 posts, read 6,961,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jons_wifey View Post
What questions do I need to ask myself before making such a move? The move is based on my company opening another office there.

I'll be looking to rent a house rather than an apartment (preferably a single story).

Chesterfield
Clarkson Valley
Ellisville
Ballwin
Machester
Town and Country
Twin Oaks
Creve Couer
Overland
Kirkwood

How does the weather in MO compare to 100 degree TX? Do you get the four seasons?

Lastly, Tell me about the school districts? Are there any Charter schools? Do they take the STARR test?
Overland is an outlier on your list. No offense to anyone who lives there.

We like the beach too, you just have to drive a long way to find one. Pools are big around here when they are not shut down by pandemics.

Pretty much get 4 seasons. Hot, humid summers but generally not as bad as what you have. It is not Minnesota, but it gets cold and gray here. Some snow and ice. I think the places you mentioned outside of Overland are all in what we consider to be good school districts, whether Parkway, Ladue or Kirkwood. Lots of options, lots of resources at each. Lots of parks around here. I personally like the scenery, especially when it is green in the late Spring Summer into the Fall months including when the leaves change. You don't have to drive far to get into more rural areas with some state parks, conservation areas, etc. Others don't like it so much.

Last edited by MUTGR; 06-24-2020 at 10:24 PM..

Old 06-26-2020, 12:19 PM

6,115 posts, read 3,048,884 times
I think renting a single story house in Town and Country may not give you a whole lot of choices. And, since this is a high dollar area, you may find, here n there, a few snobby neighbors.
Mason Ridge elementary; however, is a great school. So is Henry elementary. For Middle school, you have Crestview and many others in the West County area.

https://www.rsdmo.org/discover/bythe...n-Schools.aspx

Obviously, there is no beach here but you can get some water scene, boat rent etc at the Lake of the Ozarks.
There is also Carlyle lake for some basic fishing etc.

One of the best parts of living here is that you usually don't spend half of your life in travelling from one place to another and sit in traffic for hours. Almost everything is within 30 minutes drive for your day to day needs.

In my experience, what truly sucks in St. Louis is the EXTREME lack of direct outbound international flights from Lambert Airport. You hardly have any. I think the only one we got left is Toronto. So international travel is bit of a hassle. But then again, who knows how long this Covid thing lasts? We may not be travelling internationally for a little bit?

People in general are nice and you get all four seasons. Weather is somewhat dry so some people do get some minor dry skin related issues in winter.

All the best! and do ask us any other question you might have about St. Louis.

Old 06-27-2020, 10:56 PM

1,251 posts, read 1,070,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jons_wifey View Post

Chesterfield
Clarkson Valley
Ellisville
Ballwin
Machester
Town and Country
Twin Oaks
Creve Couer
Overland
Kirkwood

OP, we moved from SA to St. Louis for work a few years back. Missouri is my home state and it was so good to be back. I hated the heat in SA, and missed four seasons. You will get a lovely fall and some “real” winter. Spring is gorgeous, too.
We had a very quick job change, and ended up renting in Chesterfield. I absolutely loved it! Of the towns on your list, Overland is the one I’m not familiar with. The others are close to each other and all very nice. Everything I use and love was within 15 minutes. I can’t help with charter schools, but had family in Parkway and Rockwood- both wonderful. We had to move again, temporarily, but I cannot wait to come back.

Old 07-01-2020, 06:25 AM

1,112 posts, read 871,931 times
Budget? Finding housing in your price range is a good starting point. Ballwin is cheaper than Chesterfield, for example. Al lot those areas are great but Overland is further east so that would be a no for me. I am from the Ballwin area. Wish I lived there now. It was home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis