Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2008, 10:33 AM

11 posts, read 41,508 times

Advertisements

Hi everybody!
I'm relocating this August from NYC to St Louis to begin a graduate program at WashU. I've been to St Louis to visit the university, so I know the general area where WashU is and saw some of the downtown area. For many years now I have lived without a car-I am from Atlanta, not NYC, so I am well acquainted with life in a city where cars are the primary mode of transportation.
Despite the challenges and frustrations of carfreedom, I am determined to try and live my life in St Louis without buying a car, out of both personal and financial reasons. I am very into famers' markets, health food stores, running, working out, etc. I will probably be living in the WashU grad apartments in UCity, in the Loop area.
I would love to hear from any St Louis residents or Wu students about possible places to shop for groceries, to work out, and any bus routes or shuttle routes I might be able to take to get there. I think a WU shuttle goes to Schnucks, but I'd love to hear about any other sorts of markets, stores, gyms, yoga centers, etc. I might be able to go to car-freelessly on transit or shuttles or by foot! Maybe I should add here that I am not really looking for an activist community (though that's OK too), as much as I just want to stay commited to a healthy lifestyle. I like going to bars too
Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2008, 01:07 PM

2,667 posts, read 6,780,592 times
Welcome. I just transfered here a month ago. You should have fun living by the loop. Get ready for some really crappy weather patterns though.

I've been using the metrolink for work and play, and in fact, the only time I even use my car is for the once-a-week grocery shopping or if I want to go out to St. Charles or somewhere. I can't comment on bus routes, as I just take the metro and then walk to where I need to be.

Unfortunately, I can't help you with most of your specific inquiries - as I grocery shop cheaply at shop-n-save and exercise for free at Forest Park. But, I know the "Center of Clayton" is a reasonable and neat gym (I think it's connected to a high school) that is accessable from the Clayton stop on the metro route. I havn't been able to find a gym that is in the actual STL city limits near a metro stop though.

Old 04-30-2008, 02:14 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,623,677 times
I have a friend who lives in the loop without a car (well he has one to travel to KC with but never uses it in town) and he does quite well.

He really enjoys it actually. He walks to the Schnucks on Olive to shop for groceries, though depending on your exact location, I find that a longer walk than I'd be apt to do too often (though I'm sure with one of those grocery carts it wouldn't be too terrible a proposition). Schnucks has been getting better at carrying organic and locally grown produce in the last few years, though they're no Whole Foods. There's a great farmer's market in Soulard. You'd probably take the metro downtown and then a bus south- not a short ride, but doable.

...Oh and there's plenty of bars in U city

Old 04-30-2008, 02:36 PM

634 posts, read 2,348,616 times
There are also seasonal (and also smaller) farmers' markets in both Clayton (Straub's parking lot) and Maplewood (Schlafly's parking lot) - pretty easy to access via the Metrolink train system. Times/dates vary for the latter, but the former is held on Saturday mornings beginning next month (??).

Last edited by breer23; 04-30-2008 at 02:37 PM.. Reason: forgot to add how to get to these places w/o a car...the train

Old 04-30-2008, 03:16 PM

11 posts, read 41,508 times
Thanks for your responses so far! I looked online at the Clayton gym and it is very reasonable for all they are offering. I'm glad to hear that there are markets going on. In ATL I remember there was an amazing market, a co-op. It was huge and it was actually much cheaper to shop there than at the grocery chains. And Forest Park sounds like a great place for running.
I'm definitely interested in hearing any more of your opinions on car-free and/or healthy St Louis lifestyles!

Old 04-30-2008, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bannsmith View Post
In ATL I remember there was an amazing market, a co-op. It was huge and it was actually much cheaper to shop there than at the grocery chains.
That pretty much describes the Soulard Market - excellent shopping for fruits, veggies, etc. And if shopping stresses you out, you can get bagels, a coffee...or a beer...at 9 a.m. on a Saturday in the common area!

Old 04-30-2008, 07:11 PM

Almost forgot, there is a small yoga center (Solar Yoga) located at Pershing & Des Peres Aves., one block north of Forest Park Pkwy, two blocks east of Skinker. Definitely within walking distance or a bike ride from the Loop. Have to admit, though, I've never been in there, but it's a little smaller and kind of cozy looking - not a googo-gym by any stretch.

If you're into the googo-gym thing, there is a Bally's located further west, just on the eastern edge of Clayton (Forsyth & FPP).

Last edited by breer23; 04-30-2008 at 07:12 PM.. Reason: added info about Bally's

Old 05-01-2008, 12:07 PM

1,817 posts, read 4,926,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bannsmith View Post
Thanks for your responses so far! I looked online at the Clayton gym and it is very reasonable for all they are offering. I'm glad to hear that there are markets going on. In ATL I remember there was an amazing market, a co-op. It was huge and it was actually much cheaper to shop there than at the grocery chains. And Forest Park sounds like a great place for running.
I'm definitely interested in hearing any more of your opinions on car-free and/or healthy St Louis lifestyles!
Are you talking about the market just off of 75 south of Atlanta. If thats what your talking about it is a great market. Ive live in atlanta now for about 8 months and go there just about every weekend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis