Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2008, 03:39 PM

19 posts, read 54,464 times

Advertisements

Hey all -

My wife and I (longtime South City residents; I'm a native, born and raised) are looking for a house to buy, and although it wasn't on our radar initially, we've noticed a couple of apparently good bargains in Webster Groves. I know Webster fairly well because I lived at the dorms in Webster U. for a few years, and I really enjoyed the smalltowny but reasonably progressive mood there. But these houses are in North Webster, the traditional African-American neighborhood, which I've spent no time in.

I was wondering if anybody had any firsthand experience with North Webster, because I don't. Judging by the crime column in the Webster-Kirkwood Times, it seems as safe as the rest of Webster. What I'm wondering is, bluntly, how welcome a white family would be in the neighborhood. I've heard mixed things about Meacham Park, the similar neighborhood in Kirkwood, about how white homebuyers are received there (and we've all seen Meacham Park in the news over the last couple of years). In particular, I've heard stories of white residents in Meacham Park sometimes being the target of vandalism or hostility, primarily from teenage boys.

I don't care if we're the only white family on the block. I just want a safe, welcoming environment (not to mention a cheap way to get my kids into WG schools). I have no reason to think North Webster wouldn't be welcoming, but I don't want to just roll the dice. Anybody know the score on North Webster? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2008, 04:06 PM

45 posts, read 134,436 times
By North Webster-what area are you specifically referring to? The area West of Brentwood/Kirkham or elsewhere?

We lived South of Newport/North of Oakwood and LOVED it. There are many houses in that general area (Avery Elementary School) that are very affordable. The area is very safe and family friendly. We were VERY sad to leave.

Old 05-17-2008, 09:52 PM

8 posts, read 28,178 times
I think that nowadays things in that area are a lot more mixed than they were when I was younger. When I went to Avery I heard stories of white kids getting harassed on the way home from school... but these were probably just stories. I think the kids in this area tend to be very well adjusted despite the racial division of the train tracks.

Old 06-01-2009, 11:41 AM

1 posts, read 3,924 times
I live there and there isn't a race issue. It's a great area - one of the best kept secrets in the county. Close to everything, low crime, very reasonable prices on the homes. Go for it!

Old 06-30-2010, 01:48 PM

1 posts, read 3,429 times
drove down Euclid avenue yesterday trying to make my way to Manchester and McKnight and "African American" teens told me to "get the **** out of here." This simply pisses me off. Plus, I live in Webster Park and a close friend of mine was jumped by 10 black kids last week walking home from my house...they broke his hearing aids and beat him rather seriously....lets just say it'd be interesting to see how fast Reverend Al Sharpton would be there if the situation was flip-flopped...

Old 06-30-2010, 04:56 PM

1,521 posts, read 3,598,727 times
JToon - does your move have anything to do with this?

Woot Acquired by Amazon
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis