Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2007, 01:22 AM

9 posts, read 86,367 times

Advertisements

Thanks to everyone who replied above. I finally got word that we will be moving to St Louis at the end of September. I hope to spend some time there before then and am really looking forward to the move.
I'll be sure to check out all the above suggestions.

Again, thanks all
Matt
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2007, 07:28 AM

285 posts, read 1,068,047 times
Where are you currently living?

Have you checked the downtown lofts? They are very nice, moderns places, and 9 times out of 10 they have been remodeled in only the last few years. If you are interested, check out the website UrbanStLouis.com. They have featured developments and a ton of information about current and completed developments.

Old 08-03-2007, 10:19 AM

572 posts, read 1,995,245 times
Look at lofts in west downtown, townhouses and condos in Lafayette Square and LaSalle Park. I'm not sure if I can say this but I have a townhouse for sale in LaSalle Park. There are several properties for sale in the nieghborhood. You would love it. Quaint, quiet, hip and close to downtown (walk to a ballgame, restaurants, parks) & the highway system.

Old 06-22-2008, 07:19 PM

9 posts, read 86,367 times
Hello all
I have been meaning to update this for some time now so here goes. We moved to StL in October 07 and moved into a downtown loft on Nov 1st. We survived our first winter (after 4 years on Hawaii!!) and are now "enjoying" our first StL summer.
Been to the ballpark, jazz in the park, numerous restaurants, pubs and parks and enjoying life in the midwest.
Thanks to everyone for the welcome suggestions.
Regards
Matt

Old 06-23-2008, 08:07 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,618,797 times
Glad you made it and that you're enjoying yourself!

I love love love jazz in the park

Old 06-23-2008, 07:06 PM

1,117 posts, read 2,926,489 times
Glad you are enjoying!!!

Old 06-24-2008, 10:10 AM

634 posts, read 2,348,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
I've been looking at Maplewood as well as the Dogtown area. Seems to be an Irish connection there
You are correct - Dogtown is a localized Irish area in the city of St. Louis; Little Ireland to the Hill's Little Italy. Mostly small homes, and a few apt. complexes around. Tons of brick buildings. And of course, the St. Patrick's Day Parade marches right through the middle of Dogtown (Tamm Ave.). Were you able to head over from downtown to check it out? If not, there is always next year!

Old 07-10-2008, 11:11 AM

1 posts, read 2,542 times
Default also considering moving to st louis

hi,

was recently in st. louis and saw the tower grove area and the park, both beautiful. we are considering moving there or somewhere in the stl area, but have a young son and are worried about the public schools. we live in brooklyn, n.y. so are use to urban living. however, would like somewhere with more space, a yard and a better school system to nyc public schools. we are also used to being able to walk to restaurants, bars etc... the houses in tower grove look beautiful, but relatives in the area told us it's not a great area,, however, i think their standards may be a lot different to people who have lived in nyc as we have done for many years. thanks.

N.

Old 07-10-2008, 11:49 AM

5,812 posts, read 18,827,879 times
Tower Grove I think is generally ok. Some nice homes there.

But I would look into private school. I'm not sure how good NYC schools are, but I can't believe St. Louis City schools are any better.

Old 07-10-2008, 03:38 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,618,797 times
You'll want to look into the magnet systems, I don't have children so I haven't had to deal with any of that, but apparently they range from so-so to fantastic, so it's worth the homework.

Regarding the Tower Grove area: South is best, East is OK and has gotten better as of late, and north of the park is/can be sketchy. It's all about comfort level.

How much are you looking to spend on a home?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis