Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2008, 11:37 AM

634 posts, read 2,348,616 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
If your kids like animals you could also hit Grant's Farm, which is a little closer in. It's the historic land of Ulysses S. Grant and it's owned by Anheuser-Busch now. They have lots of animals and it was rated by Zagat as the 7th best attraction nationwide for families
We recently went there for the first time and enjoyed it. The train ride they have you start on was a little hoky - we would have rather just walked the area ourselves - but once we saw the Clydesdales we forgot all about it - magnificent creatures!

FYI: Grant's home (which is run by the National Park Service) is actually different than Grant's Farm, even though they are located on the same road (you pass by the home on your way to park at the farm).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2008, 12:24 PM

1,869 posts, read 5,803,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonefishingw2boys View Post
Hi,
At the end of June husband and 2 kids (2 and 4) and I will be staying overnight in St. Louis. Can someone offer me suggestions on what part of town to stay - and kid friendly activities to enjoy in St. Louis that we should not miss?

I have never been to St. Louis and am looking forward to seeing some "can't miss" places. Is the Zoo good? Any local (non-chain) local water parks, restaurants, events we should go to?

Thanks for any and all help.
I'm still sticking to my original suggestions in this thread. And btw, since you only have one day, you can do and see a lot in Forest Park. I'll also add, while not a water park, I've seen many little kids of ages 2&4 play in the water at Forest Park at the Fountains of Worlds Fair Pavilion and Art Hill. You can also have lunch at the Boathouse and while waiting(you'll wait a little while) you can rent a small paddle boat ($15) and hour I believe, and cruise the waters of Forest Park as well to get your small child water fix.

The same place has the zoo and many other things.

For kids that age, and one day, that's where I'd start. My other suggestions are also good but suburban for kids that age, .....The Magic House is an excellent Children's Museum,(packed with kids those ages) and the mention of Grant's Farm....both would take 15 minute plus hwy drive and back.

Old 06-05-2008, 02:28 PM

3,131 posts, read 11,648,036 times
we truly enjoy st. louis and have never been to the city museum. I will put that on my list for this fall when we bring our son back to wash u! we will be making a number of trips because he plays football. we have to have something to do besides the game! I am still looking for a good pizza place because we HATED IMO's. any other suggestions would be welcome.

Old 06-05-2008, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgresident View Post
we truly enjoy st. louis and have never been to the city museum. I will put that on my list for this fall when we bring our son back to wash u! we will be making a number of trips because he plays football. we have to have something to do besides the game! I am still looking for a good pizza place because we HATED IMO's. any other suggestions would be welcome.
Given that you are in the greater Chicagoland metro area, if you prefer Chicago-style stuffed pizza, I'd suggest Black Thorn Pub (south city, on Wyoming St.)...there's not much to the place, and the pizza takes extraordinarily long, but I'd put it right up there with Giordano's...not quite Geno's East, but darned close.

If it's NY style you're after, try Talyana's (less then 5 minutes from Wash. U.) or Racanelli's (5-10 minutes, depending on the location) - both of these are between UCity & the central west end area.

One last option: Joanie's Pizza, in the Soulard area. You can get NY, STL, CHI or "thick" crust (between NY & CHI style) - the toppings were excellent and the price was very reasonable.

Last edited by breer23; 06-05-2008 at 03:15 PM.. Reason: ...forgot to mention Joanie's...

Old 06-05-2008, 06:49 PM

48 posts, read 171,144 times
From the sounds of all the great suggestions of things to do, we will probably have to come back to do a weekend to hit more of the sights. We are driving through on the way to KC,MO do to a company relocation. Need to leave OH on Saturday (after a Friday house closing) and get to Kansas City, MO to close on our house on Monday.

Have not found a place to stay yet as we need to find a nice place that will accept pets. Looking in the Forest Park area as there seems to be alot of attractions right there.

Thanks again for all of the great suggestion!!

Old 06-05-2008, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonefishingw2boys View Post
Have not found a place to stay yet as we need to find a nice place that will accept pets. Looking in the Forest Park area as there seems to be alot of attractions right there.
Just south of Forest Park, in an area that borders our Little Italy (called "The Hill"), there are several big-chain hotels (Drury, Holiday Inn). I would imagine one of them accepts pets. You'd be looking for hotels at the intersection of I-44 & Hampton Ave.

Old 06-06-2008, 09:06 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,623,677 times
The Westin St. Louis in downtown at Cupples Station (across the street from Busch stadium) allows pets and is very nice.

Old 06-06-2008, 02:47 PM

1,869 posts, read 5,803,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgresident View Post

La Pizza ...Delmar and Bonhomme in U.City, Northeast style. handful of tables for dine in, or can have carry out or delivery. It's not far from Wash U. Just go West on Delmar from there a few blocks. It's my favorite pizza place in St. Louis. And, I'll throw in a plug for "Vito's" at Grand and Lindell at SLU's campus. Sicilian Style. These would be my first two based on your location and quality. If you want Chicago style,(not my preference of styles but I'd second Black Thorn.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis