Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2008, 11:48 AM

938 posts, read 3,506,460 times

Advertisements

Regardless of even how St. Louis AB is, it is also a very American company, making American-brewed and owned beer for the masses, and losing it for foriegn ownership will be a loss of not only a STL company but a company which is purely USA too. I rarely drink AB products anymore (couldn't say that when I was an undergrad and always had a 24 pack of Bud in the fridge ), but I really hope it stays American owned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2008, 02:12 PM

216 posts, read 627,928 times
Wow, looks like my post was hijacked..I was hoping for more info from people on whether they think it will happen, what the effect might be on the community (i.e. great places like Grant's Farm, etc). There certainly have been many other companies that have either left St. Louis all together or been sold/acquired by companies based elsewhere. Not good.

Old 06-06-2008, 02:51 PM

5,765 posts, read 10,999,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
I think we are talking about more than the beer, being from KC, perhaps you dont understand how deeply ingrained in STL AB is.
Also, how in the world do you know that they put corn syrup in the beer? Please enlighten the rest of us.
I can understand how important AB is to St. Louis and I guess I can understand how it being bought out by a foreign company would be taken as bad.

In regards to how I know they use HFCS and other such products in there beer?

I brew beer and read journals for brewing. I also have several acquintances that have been brewing for years among those are people that are Presidents and VPs of prominent beer brewing associations.

AB has a very poor reputation among beer brewers around the world for taking short cuts to produce mass quanitities for cheap instead of brewing quality beer. Many consider them the bottom of the barrel when it comes to breweries.

I would much rather have them bought out by a foreign company that will stop that process and produce a quality product rather than they continue to produce the crap they put on shelves now.

Old 06-06-2008, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inoxkeeper View Post
I can't wait to hear the response to that one myself. I have taken the tour and drank many of their products (Bud Select anyone?) and don't recall seeing corn syrup used during the process.

I too hope that INBEV doesn't end up buying AB. Dang furinners...

Guess I will have to drink Schafly's brew if it happens. Anyone tried their APA? Good stuff!

I am surprised you dont drink Schafly's anyway. Their beer is outstanding and among some of the best I have ever had.

Old 06-06-2008, 03:20 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,621,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post

I would much rather have them bought out by a foreign company that will stop that process and produce a quality product rather than they continue to produce the crap they put on shelves now.
I would think that would be exceedingly unlikely to happen. Inbev is just out for profit, so if anything I could see the quality faltering yet more.

I'm also surprised to hear you say you care more about quality beer than the tens of thousands of Americans employed by Anheuser-Busch

Old 06-06-2008, 03:33 PM

1,291 posts, read 2,895,121 times
Quote:
I am surprised you dont drink Schafly's anyway. Their beer is outstanding and among some of the best I have ever had.
I sort of thought one would deduce that I do drink Schafly's from my comments about how great their APA is. It's kind of hard to recommend a product if you haven't sampled it.

Ditto for their IPA and 15, they are my favorites.

Old 06-06-2008, 04:16 PM

938 posts, read 3,506,460 times
Quote:

AB has a very poor reputation among beer brewers around the world for taking short cuts to produce mass quanitities for cheap instead of brewing quality beer. Many consider them the bottom of the barrel when it comes to breweries.

AB has very strict quality control, and a Budweiser you buy in Missouri will taste just like one you buy which was brewed in Texas or even Japan. Any microbrewery will have an extremely hard time pulling that off and it is where the beauty of mass production come in. They make beer for the masses, and lets face it, not everyone likes microbrewed beer. Millions of people are quite happy drinking Budweiser or Bud Light. I usually drink local beers myself (Real Ale beers in Austin are really good), but I have a soft spot for AB because I drank so much of it as an undergrad in college, and it is a Missouri and USA tradition.

If you don't like AB products don't buy them, but realize that millions of people do and AB has contributed a lot of the economy of Missouri and the USA, and many people do not want to see AB lost to foreign owners.

Old 06-06-2008, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
I would think that would be exceedingly unlikely to happen. Inbev is just out for profit, so if anything I could see the quality faltering yet more.

I'm also surprised to hear you say you care more about quality beer than the tens of thousands of Americans employed by Anheuser-Busch

Inbev makes some quality beer and Europeans take beer very seriously.

Just because InBev takes them over doesnt mean they will cut out all the American jobs. Do you think they are just going to bring over workers to replace everyone? Highly unlikely.

Old 06-06-2008, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inoxkeeper View Post
I sort of thought one would deduce that I do drink Schafly's from my comments about how great their APA is. It's kind of hard to recommend a product if you haven't sampled it.

Ditto for their IPA and 15, they are my favorites.

You said, "Guess I will have to drink Schafly's brew if it happens." which I took is that you have tried it but didnt drink it regularly.

I pick up a six pack of Schafly's when I see it. They produced a special edition Louis and Clark Pale Ale last year that might of been the best beer I have ever had.

Old 06-07-2008, 06:09 AM

23,416 posts, read 36,998,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OA 5599 View Post
AB has very strict quality control, and a Budweiser you buy in Missouri will taste just like one you buy which was brewed in Texas or even Japan. Any microbrewery will have an extremely hard time pulling that off and it is where the beauty of mass production come in. They make beer for the masses, and lets face it, not everyone likes microbrewed beer. Millions of people are quite happy drinking Budweiser or Bud Light. I usually drink local beers myself (Real Ale beers in Austin are really good), but I have a soft spot for AB because I drank so much of it as an undergrad in college, and it is a Missouri and USA tradition.

If you don't like AB products don't buy them, but realize that millions of people do and AB has contributed a lot of the economy of Missouri and the USA, and many people do not want to see AB lost to foreign owners.
My GGGgrandfather was a stone mason, he helped build the original brewery. I have had family working there right up to the present day, and they are worried about their jobs.
Its always a shame when when one of the iconic names in STL slips away, it diminishes the rest of the community. The Busch family has had a long tradition of supporting all sorts of things in STL, and the rest of Mo, for that matter.
I sure dont see this new company doing that! Why would they care what happens to the good people of STL?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis