Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2008, 02:20 AM

15 posts, read 33,821 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,I've been reading this message board for some time and have gotten alot of good information and people here seem really nice.

I can't tell you how many cities and states I have considered moving to, but at the moment it has come down to either Flower mound in texas(north of fortworth,south of denton) or Ballwin in Missouri. I can't make up my mind between the two. Has anyoneone lived in or visted the cities who could give me a comparison of the two other than what's on the citydata website? I'm mainly worried about whether or not I could get a job in either city.Other concerns are cost of living and crime,weather? Any info really. My second choices are Round rock (tx) and oakville(mo).Any information about them?

Background information:
Single male,35 year old.
Currently living in Albuquerque,NM
Education Have attended a vew years of colllege(no degree though)
Work would consider myself entry level,general labor
Have manufacturing experience(matresses,contact lenses,mexican frozen food,cotton)

I have visted corpius christ(tx) during the fall. And my family used to go each year to hot springs arkansas during the summer.The heat and humidity in arkansas was a bit much when we first arrived,but by the time we left in 2 weeks I was ok.I loved both places.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2008, 06:59 AM

5,812 posts, read 18,829,880 times
Ballwin shouldn't be quite as hot and humid as Arkansas, but it has been in the 90s this week.

Ballwin tends to be a more expensive, upscale area. Very nice. Maybe not so much for blue collar single people.

But it's a very nice area. But in my opinion if you wanted to move to the St. Louis area considering your age and marital status, I would suggest living closer to the city, unless you just like suburbs.

Ballwin is very nice. I'm just not sure if it's as good for young singles as a place closer to the city.

Old 06-12-2008, 12:29 PM

2,667 posts, read 6,779,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLCardsBlues1989 View Post
Ballwin is very nice. I'm just not sure if it's as good for young singles as a place closer to the city.
From his 4 or 5 listed cities, I don't think he is exactly looking for the young, single, big-city atmosphere.

Edit: What is wrong with Albequerque? Only been there once, but liked it alot.

Old 06-12-2008, 01:23 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,621,105 times
I guess I'd like to know what interests you in Ballwin, what you're looking for in a home. What kind of neighborhoods do you like? What stores are your favorite? What do you do for fun?

I don't think you'd have a problem finding employment here- anywhere with 3 million people in the metro should be fine for jobs.

Old 06-12-2008, 01:29 PM

634 posts, read 2,348,284 times
Not to sway you from choosing St. Louis, but I have a family member who has lived in Flower Mound since the mid-80s, so I might be able to give you some info about both cities, albeit with little detail.

Old 06-12-2008, 07:22 PM

10,364 posts, read 20,797,076 times
Ballwin doesn't strike me as the kind of place that would appeal to a single man. It's all spread out on the edge of town, but if you love urban sprawl, it's just the place for you. Not to insult Ballwinians, but I don't find it very appealing myself since I like older established neighborhoods, and it's mainly family oriented anyway. There are many places in St. Louis that would be closer in to the industries and to everything else too. One thing to keep in mind is that most of Ballwin is fairly new--no older than 15 yo. If you like new houses and buildings, you would like it, but the older houses are closer in to the city.

Old 06-13-2008, 04:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscottscotto View Post
From his 4 or 5 listed cities, I don't think he is exactly looking for the young, single, big-city atmosphere.

Edit: What is wrong with Albequerque? Only been there once, but liked it alot.
You are right,I am trying to stay away from living inside st louis itself. Mainly because of what I call "hiway nightmare, which is basically, too many lanes going this way and that and signs that do little good unless a person is already in the right lane. I could possible handle going from a suburb into the city for work, but I wouldn't want to live in the big city itself.

Albuquerque? Oh man,don't get me started. But basically about the only way it is not dry is with the alcohol.(Grass,trees,money ect..) Other than the lack of moisture, the weather though is pretty mild and can't be beat.

Old 06-13-2008, 04:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLCardsBlues1989 View Post
Ballwin shouldn't be quite as hot and humid as Arkansas, but it has been in the 90s this week.

Ballwin tends to be a more expensive, upscale area. Very nice. Maybe not so much for blue collar single people.

But it's a very nice area. But in my opinion if you wanted to move to the St. Louis area considering your age and marital status, I would suggest living closer to the city, unless you just like suburbs.

That's good to hear.I was hopeing(sp) it would be a little better climate than arkansas. I'll take a look some other areas then, as I don't like too modern or cookie cutter homes. What other areas do you suggest?

Old 06-13-2008, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
I guess I'd like to know what interests you in Ballwin, what you're looking for in a home. What kind of neighborhoods do you like? What stores are your favorite? What do you do for fun?

I don't think you'd have a problem finding employment here- anywhere with 3 million people in the metro should be fine for jobs.
From what I have researched so far, St louis has a lot of employment agencies. So that should help ALOT with getting a job. Most of the positions I have had, I got through a temp service. Where ever I move to, I will use one just to have some income right away. Eventually I'll want to get a job on my own. I don't know what it is is like there,but here working at a company as a temp I find that the bosses and other employees tend to look down on the temps. The pay is lower for the temps as well.

I'd like a decent apartment in a quite,not upscale-but not rundown neighborhood. 30 minutes is my limit of what I mind for a commute to/from work.I usually shop at Walmart,Like to fill my vehicle up at a giant gas station. I like watching movies(comedy,horror,sci-fi) and playing computer games. Have a interest in the paranormal, in particularly UFO.Hopefully once I move I'll enjoy the great outdoors more and pick up other interest.

Old 06-13-2008, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
Ballwin doesn't strike me as the kind of place that would appeal to a single man. It's all spread out on the edge of town, but if you love urban sprawl, it's just the place for you. Not to insult Ballwinians, but I don't find it very appealing myself since I like older established neighborhoods, and it's mainly family oriented anyway. There are many places in St. Louis that would be closer in to the industries and to everything else too. One thing to keep in mind is that most of Ballwin is fairly new--no older than 15 yo. If you like new houses and buildings, you would like it, but the older houses are closer in to the city.
How would oakville be? Or is it allot like ballwin. From other post I have read it sounds like anywhere south or east of the city would have too much crime.Any suggestions to other areas I might look?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis