Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2008, 02:57 PM

1 posts, read 4,396 times

Advertisements

Hi all. 4 of us will be in STL for the 4th of July weekend. We will be going to the Cardinals/Cubs game on Friday and we are staying at the Pear Tree Inn - Drury Hotel near the airport. We are looking to go out after the game to perhaps the landing and was wondering what good spots to hit up.

I've heard that the Landing can get really crowded since the Live on the Levee activities are near there each year. However, I just saw that due to the flooding, the events will be moved near the Blues arena so perhaps it won't be as bad??

We aren't opposed to a club type place but will be coming from the game in our jersey's, shirts etc. I've heard some things about the Big Bang...do you think everything will be beyond crowded if we arrive about 10:30-11pm?

We were looking for something a little lower key on Saturday night and saw Westport...is that worthwhile? Finally, I've been told not to miss Ted Drewes custard so we will try and stop there too!

Thanks everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2008, 10:34 PM

4,682 posts, read 12,055,024 times
WestPort, from my memory of few years ago, was/is a good place to chill. Yea, lol, Ted's is not to be missed when in the area... neither is toasted ravioli, or some of the other StL treats that can be found only in the area. As to how crowded, just gonna depend on what happens between now and then, and on that nights, in regards to the weather. Might check out other threads herein regarding what to see and do in StL. Good luck, and safe travels!

Old 06-20-2008, 08:42 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,611,075 times
the Landing will be beyond crowded - esp. Big Bang. A place like Joey B's will probably be a bit more down to earth.

As far as Westport... blech. 10 years ago it might have been fun... it's not really worth it if you ask me. the comedy club (the funny bone) is fun, but everything else is only so so. Last time I was there something like 3 places had recently closed.

Old 06-20-2008, 11:04 AM

634 posts, read 2,347,430 times
You could always hit Sundeckers, which is on the northern edge of the "old" Landing...plenty of outdoor seating, especially after a July game, with an extra bar out back. Plenty of Cubs & Cards fans alike frequent there after a game, so don't feel you'll be heading into enemy territory..no matter which side you root for!

Old 06-21-2008, 10:35 PM

275 posts, read 1,124,588 times
During the day, you might want to grab lunch at Blueberry Hill (Blueberry Hill). Definitely visit Ted Drewes. Don't know if you like to bowl or not, but Flaming Bowl (Flamingo Bowl :: Bowling | Cocktails) is good fun. Just be sure to reserve a lane! Hip place with great cocktails!

Have fun, and enjoy the great fireworks over this beautiful city!

Old 06-23-2008, 02:34 PM

321 posts, read 1,003,281 times
If you are staying by the airport try going west on I-70 to the Heritage & Freedom Fest in O'Fallon over the July 4th weekend:

Heritage & Freedom Fest | Welcome

It is also free and less crowded than Fair Saint Louis and has some good entertainment this year (Gin Blossoms, Candlebox, Emerson Drive for country fans), and nice fireworks of course!

Old 06-23-2008, 03:26 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,611,075 times
We went out to O'Fallon one year... maybe 6 years ago? Right after St. Charles decided to scale back their festivities.

We had a nice time, but honestly, if you're only in town for the weekend and you're looking for a great fireworks display I'd definitely do Fair St. Louis. It was rated one of the top 10 destinations for 4th festivities by professionaltravelguide.com

Quote:
Another all-day festival, the Fair Saint Louis/Celebrate St. Louis Fourth of July event is one of the largest in the Midwest. With a backdrop encompassing the Mississippi River and the famed Gateway Arch (http://www.professionaltravelguide.com/historic-sites/sightseeing/see-and-do/st-louis-gateway-arch/see-and-do-469477/ - broken link), these fireworks are some of the best in the country. And St. Louis doesn’t stop the party after July 4th – the great LIVE on the Levee series, complete with free music and fireworks, continues through July and August.

Old 06-30-2008, 05:21 PM

287 posts, read 1,086,538 times
I second Sundeckers! The outdoor patio is my favorite place on the landing, and with the river up, you should have a pretty good view
The Big Bang is a fun dueling piano bar, but gets REALLY packed, so if you go, go early. And if you like Sushi, or a quiet place for a martini, try the Drunken Fish. Those are about the only places on the landing where we go--everywhere else is packed full of college kids and frat boys (my apologies if you're in college)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis