Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2008, 09:25 AM

8 posts, read 15,407 times

Advertisements

Everyone, I am new to this whole move thing. After this historic flood in Iowa, I am ready to move elsewhere. Plus I got this divorce situation going for about a year now. My house wasn't flooded, so I think my house will sell without a problem. Ameren (STL metro area) has offered me a job with 23% more pay than my current job. I was comparing between living in Edwardsville IL and St Charles MO. Can you help me decide?

I am 27, looking to find a place where there's less crime and less racial tension. Not a huge baseball fan so I wont be going to cardinals games as much. I am big into salsa dancing though, I wouldn't mind living close to a community with places for salsa dancing. Also, I am big into volleyball, tennis, soccer - just sports in general. Like the young crowd.

Also, I am thinking I should rent for now. Please help me with any information you can. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2008, 11:17 AM

5,812 posts, read 18,758,163 times
Illinois property generally costs less, but Missouri has some more confusing taxes.

And gas in Missouri can be $.15-$.20 cheaper.

If you want social-related activities and the young crowd, I'd probably recommend somewhere in the city, and maybe Clayton or University City. But I don't think St. Charles is generally a place to find young people.

Sorry I can't be of more help. I don't really know about salsa dancing. Collinsville, IL is supposed to a get an MLS team in a few years, hopefully.

Renting may be a good idea. Although home prices are low, it can be hard to get a loan. What's your budget?

Sorry about the flooding and your divorce.

Ameren's south of Scottrade Center, correct? Just south of there is Lafayette Park. It's a nice, though somewhat expensive area. What are your plans for transportation? I'm not sure if MetroLink (train) or MetroBus travel very near Ameren. South St. Louis only has buses I believe. Union Station has a MetroLink Station, but I don't think it goes to Ameren.

Last edited by STLCardsBlues1989; 07-18-2008 at 11:33 AM..

Old 07-18-2008, 11:19 AM

275 posts, read 1,121,398 times
Do you have children?

Edwardsville is great, but I don't think you will find a lot of Salsa dancing. SIUE is located here, so that does help with someone that enjoys the arts. Lots of great sports activities at your disposal. We have wonderful hike/bike trails, and two YMCA facilities.

If I were 27 and single, I would probably be looking more to the urban St. Louis area. As much as I love Edwardsville, I think you will find plenty to do in St. Louis, and many people to do things with. Now, if you have children, that changes things a bit.

Good luck! I lived in Iowa for a short stint, and married an Iowa boy. Love Iowa, but the job opportunities there were not good for for my husband's line of work. Otherwise, I could have lived and died in the Des Moines area and been just fine. I hope you find this area to be welcoming. I'm sure it will be. Good luck!

Old 07-18-2008, 12:49 PM

I dont have any kids, luckily. How much does a 2 bedroom apartment rent for in Edwardsville? How far is the commute to Ameren headquarters? I will be working at 1901 Chouteau Avenue. I think some of the coworkers use the bus to get there. They probably have to drive from out of town, park somewhere, then take the bus.

Cellarbelle, you said urban, where is a good urban area to avoid the crime but yet enjoy the nightlife? I am on the same boat with your husband. I wouldn't mind living and working in Des Moines myself. Unfortunately I am stuck in Cedar Rapids flood and its depressing alongwith the divorce.

Old 07-18-2008, 01:35 PM

2,667 posts, read 6,752,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvrgvup View Post
Cellarbelle, you said urban, where is a good urban area to avoid the crime but yet enjoy the nightlife?
Kindof a contridiction, but if you are that set on perfect safty while still wanting a hint of the city-entertainment ... I would suggest renting in Clayton or Brentwood and taking a short drive to UCity or STL for entertainment. Or, I mean, you could live in St. Charles or Edwardsville if you don't mind alot of driving.

If we are talking about decent-enough safty but not much suburban feel, I would personally suggest UCity residential area south of Delmar or west of Midland (but south of Olive), the Tower Grove area in South City, CWE, or Dogtown ... or I guess South Hampton (from what I've heard - havn't really explored South Hampton yet).

Old 07-18-2008, 03:22 PM

How much a 2 BR costs can vary I think.

Honestly, where you're working, I don't think St. Charles or Illinois makes sense. Both are fine to live in, but why live so far away and drive into the city?

Not to sound insulting at all, but are you afraid of city? I understand if you are. A lot of people, particularly those who haven't lived in a big city, are afraid or apprehensive of it.

But honestly, I think you could live in a safe area like Lafayette Square (though more pricey) and drive just a mile or two to work. I'm not sure if the bus would take you from your apartment to Ameren.

Living in the city may cost a little bit more, but you'd probably save that much in gas since commuting to work and fun would be easier and closer.

MetroLink doesn't go into south City. South City is more residential than nightlife. If you want nightlife it may be better to check out University City, Clayton (St. Louis County not St. Louis City), or the Central West End (in the city). Even Downtown is a decent option, though more pricey than others.

According to Google Maps St. Charles is 34 minutes (25.6 miles) from Ameren (not including traffic), and Edwardsville is also 35 minutes (26 miles). Why would you want to drive that far? If you get 26 MPG (which most cars don't), that's 2 gallons, or roughly $7.50 a day in gas. $37.50 per week. $150/month. I live in a town of 400 and my Dad drives that to work each day (we live 3 hours from St. Louis in the middle of nowhere). But honestly, there's no reason to spend that much on gas each week. You don't have children, so you don't have to worry about city schools. There's no reason to not live in the city.

I'm sorry, but it seems like neither Edwardsville or St. Charles make any sense at all. They're not really social scenes, they're far away, and probably more expensive than the city.

I know St. Louis "is the most dangerous city in the nation", but I think as long as you do you're homework and you're careful, the city is fine.

Edwardsville and St. Charles, while fine places to live, just don't make any sense.

Old 07-18-2008, 04:00 PM

Thank you so much StCardsBlues, I will look into Clayton. I don't have anything against the city life. In fact I would like that. Its just the crimes that I want to stay away from. I understand that by being proactive and careful I can avoid that too. You are right about the math of gas cost. I guess I didn't think of it that way. Is there a local newspaper that I can look at for apartments in Clayton?

Old 07-18-2008, 04:25 PM

I'm not sure. The Post-Dispatch usually has listings. Clayton is one of the more expensive areas. Some towns in the County have their own small newspapers. But the St. Louis Post-Dispatch is really the only major paper in the area.

You could certainly try Craigslist as well.

But honestly, I wouldn't worry about the city so much. Most of it is just fine.

For the cost of Clayton you could probably get a decent place to rent around the Lafayette Square area and be only a couple miles from work and downtown.

STLtoday.com - For Rent (http://realestate.stltoday.com/RealEstate/rentals/SearchIndex.asp - broken link)

Old 07-18-2008, 04:47 PM

2,667 posts, read 6,752,312 times
You will definitely be safe in Clayton and it has a neat downtown, but it is expensive and the local crowd is ... um, rich-acting (in my humble, non-rich opinion). But, you may be able to find a decent mid-range rent in Clayton near Big Bend - which would be a hop, skip, and jump away from the Loop in U City.

And, off-topic, but I wish the Metro did run to South City ... specifcally south Tower Grove. I get my money's worth out of it with downtown, cwe, the loop, the galleria, the airport, and maplewood as stops ... but it should still either expand further south or west. And, it should run 24 hours for us late-night weekenders.

Old 07-18-2008, 10:51 PM

82 posts, read 245,778 times
A couple of quick thoughts for you....i grew up in the city and know it fairly well. i would try the 63109 zip code...this would be hampton/loughborough area..st.louis hills area or the "hill" area...italian area with great restaurants. i would stay away from the lafayette area or tower grove area....single women by themselves..kinda risky in my opinion. you are going to have a short drive to work not bad in these areas and crime/racial conflict minimal here for urban area.

don't know much about salsa spots but your close to laclede's landing and really not to far from loop or central west end.hope this helped a little and welcome to the loo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis