Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 02:35 PM

2,404 posts, read 6,269,285 times

Advertisements

I guess it all depends on what is more important to you. I grew up in 63141 & 63146.

We would rather live in the country...fresh air, everything green...great neighbors that don't live on top of you. No traffic. Farm fresh eggs almost every AM from your own chickens. Planting your own farm fresh veggies is wonderful.
Hubby drives 50 miles one way to go to work but doesn't mind it. You get use to that after awhile. He'll be the first to say, it's no big deal & worth the ride to get out of the city, to get home to the peace & quiet.

Family & friends still come to visit, but... it's a good thing they don't come out this way, all the time. We love our privacy.

The schools I know nothing about, since we don't have kids, just the best dogs in the world.
We use to have the greatest Sherriff, until he chose to go elsewhere. I know nothing about the new Sheriff.

As for as the shopping goes. There is enough around to buy what you need. Neither of us like to shop at malls , if we HAVE to to get what were looking for we will. In fact, we just went to the mall in St. Peters around New Years. First time we've been there in over 4 years. Yes people, over 4 years.

So I guess it all just depends what is more important to you & your choice of life.

Troy is growing. I believe they said it's the fastest growing city in MO.
We only go to Troy early on Sunday while everyone is still asleep or in church.
The plan is to build yet another Super Wal-Mart right on hwy 61 & hwy 47, along side a Lowes. They just made a Wal-greens last year which will be on the south side of the Lowes/W-M. A Target will go in at the location that the super Wal-mart is now.
Another Super Wal-Mart is being built at hwy 61 & hwy 54 in Bowling Green. They will be closing the smallest Wal-mart in it's company in Louisiana , MO when the BG W-M gets finished.

To each their own.
Good thing everyone has the rights to their choices to where they want to live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2009, 02:59 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,883,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sillypups View Post
You act as though this is a good thing? What will you do in 10 years when Troy has all the nasty suburban traffic jams that closer in, more built up suburbs have today? Only you will still be 50 freaking miles from most destinations in St Louis. It will just take twice as long to get there. 61 will be a nightmare just to get to I-70.

Oh, I forgot, you will move to Bowling Green and commute to the jobs in Troy, which will then be a part of Metro StL. Of course all of those jobs that used to be in the now blightend office parks of West County and St Charles will have moved to Troy to be near the residents that wanted to get away from the city.

Someday our cities are going to have to reverse this trend of “everybody wants to live near the city but in the country”.

It simply doesn’t work. It’s a vicious cycle that only produces blight.

Old 01-28-2009, 03:01 PM

51 posts, read 129,729 times
Please see my responses below in bold...
Quote:
I guess it all depends on what is more important to you. I grew up in 63141 & 63146.

We would rather live in the country...fresh air, everything green...great neighbors that don't live on top of you. No traffic.
There are not enough stop lights in Troy which makes it rather difficult/dangerous to get back across traffic. Rush hour is bumper to bumper 15mph all the way through town, cars fill the Troy exit ramp and spill out onto the highway.

Farm fresh eggs almost every AM from your own chickens. Planting your own farm fresh veggies is wonderful.
Those looking for 5 or 10
(affordable) acres would likely be well suited for this area.

Hubby drives 50 miles one way to go to work but doesn't mind it. You get use to that after awhile. He'll be the first to say, it's no big deal & worth the ride to get out of the city, to get home to the peace & quiet.
Agreed, however that's two completely wasted hours per day he will never get back, if you do the math you'll see just how much life is wasted on the commute.

Family & friends still come to visit, but... it's a good thing they don't come out this way, all the time. We love our privacy.
This is nice most of the time, but times when you do want visitors, it's still an inconvenience for them.

The schools I know nothing about, since we don't have kids, just the best dogs in the world.
We use to have the greatest Sherriff, until he chose to go elsewhere. I know nothing about the new Sheriff.

As for as the shopping goes. There is enough around to buy what you need. Neither of us like to shop at malls , if we HAVE to to get what were looking for we will. In fact, we just went to the mall in St. Peters around New Years. First time we've been there in over 4 years. Yes people, over 4 years.

So I guess it all just depends what is more important to you & your choice of life.

No, that would be Wentzville.
We only go to Troy early on Sunday while everyone is still asleep or in church.

The plan is to build yet another Super Wal-Mart right on hwy 61 & hwy 47, along side a Lowes. They just made a Wal-greens last year which will be on the south side of the Lowes/W-M. A Target will go in at the location that the super Wal-mart is now.
Another Super Wal-Mart is being built at hwy 61 & hwy 54 in Bowling Green. They will be closing the smallest Wal-mart in it's company in Louisiana , MO when the BG W-M gets finished.
Great info! However I have been hearing this for over 2 years. The only new businesses I see are Walgreens and a Jack-in-the-Box.

To each their own.
Good thing everyone has the rights to their choices to where they want to live.
Absolutely! Troy is undeniably an excellent way to get the most house for the money...I only urge everyone to consider the value of your time lost/spent commuting. As the economy worsens and jobs become scarce, I tend to want to gravitate to an area where there are more opportunities. Lastly, the $5 gas scare was bad enough, if this happens again, or in other extreme economic conditions, towns like Troy may be stuck/isolated from the rest of civilization. Then again I tend to over-analyze things....

Old 01-29-2009, 12:28 PM

Default Kcmo & reako...

KCMO

I didn't say "it was a good thing" I just said TROY is GROWING.

We would NEVER move to Bowling Green. We are thrilled to be right where we are.

I grew up in west county. In those days west county was "THE COUNTRY" all farms & fields. Before Hwy 270 existed. It was BEAUTIFUL back then.

We don't live anywhere near TROY, so what ever happens...happens. We have no control over what does or doesn't happen to Troy.

`````````````````````````````````````````````````` ```
REAKO...

THAT'S WHY WHEN WE DO GO TO TROY, WE GO EARLY SAT OR SUN AM.

We are very well suited for the farm area.

Doesn't bother Hubby one bit. Once off hwy 70, the drive home relaxes him and has, for over 13 years.

NOPE... family & friends aren't inconvenienced at all. They love coming to the country to get away from all the craziness. They come out when "THEY" want to. If were available then we'll plan something .

Maybe it is Wentzville now, use to be LINCOLN COUNTY

When you decided you might like to live in this area, didn't you realize then, at the beginning how much you would be traveling to work ?

Isn't it great... we ALL have our priorities...and they are mostly all different then the next guy.

Old 01-29-2009, 12:53 PM

See below.........
Quote:
Doesn't bother Hubby one bit. Once off hwy 70, the drive home relaxes him and has, for over 13 years.

It's relaxing until you smack into a deer at 65mph......

When you decided you might like to live in this area, didn't you realize then, at the beginning how much you would be traveling to work ?

Certainly.....at the time a 35 mile commute was not that bad. However we could not foresee the extent of the economic collapse we are in now, most notably, increasing job losses. Along with rising taxes, gas prices, and pretty much everything else; this area quickly loses it's appeal.

These conditions exist in every town across America, however the extended commute required to reach Troy continues to add insult to injury.

Isn't it great... we ALL have our priorities...and they are mostly all different then the next guy.

Old 01-30-2009, 06:44 AM

REAKO...

If your going to hit a deer...your going to hit a deer. I know several people who have hit deer in west county.

That's right those conditions are everywhere in every state. Something we just have to deal with, one way or another.

People should be very grateful they have a home, a roof over their head & food to eat.
Everyone now a days think they have to buy the latest techy toy...or any kind of toy. People just never seem to be satisfied with what they have...like the important things in life.

Old 01-30-2009, 08:49 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,618,797 times
I'll give you a cookie if you stop posting everything in bold. It makes my eyes hurt.

Old 01-30-2009, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
I'll give you a cookie if you stop posting everything in bold. It makes my eyes hurt.

I have vision problems & to use bold font helps me able to see better.

Old 01-30-2009, 04:00 PM

Quote:
I have vision problems & to use bold font helps me able to see better.
If you hold in the CTRL button on your keyboard (located to the left of the spacebar), and simultaniously hit the + button (located to the left of "Backspace") it will increase the size of everything on the screen. To reduce size, Hold CTRL and the minus key (left of the + key).

Another way to do it is by clicking "View" at the top of your web browser window, then adjusting the zoom from the sub menu. ("View" is located to the right of "File, Edit)

Old 01-31-2009, 06:37 AM

thank you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis