Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2008, 05:11 PM

40 posts, read 90,174 times

Advertisements

[rant]
Why is it so rare to find one of those refreshing threads where someone is looking to move to ST LOUIS. Like, THE REAL St. Louis. Not "St. Louis," like the response you get from someone who lives in Chesterfield when you ask where they are from.

I know that the public school system is in disrepair, I understand. Most people in the city who want their kids to have a good education where they feel that their kids are safe send them to private school. If you can't afford private school, I understand. So...how about Richmond Heights? Brentwood? Maplewood? Any other suburb that isn't 30 miles out in the county/St Chas county? Why does everyone ask about O'Fallon, MO, a 35 minute commute (on a Sunday with 0 traffic) from my house in the city?

If you have a job in O'Fallon, fine...but if you are moving to the area without a job, or a job downtown, why are you wanting to subject yourself to a long commute in the morning? Along with a 30 mile commute comes a LOT more opportunities to get stuck in increased traffic due to accidents and weather. Why are you wanting to subject yourself to filling up your gas tank every 3-4 days when gas is between 3.50 and 4 dollars a gallon?

I love talking to Cardinals season ticket holders who live in Chesterfield. So, on top of the $5-15 they pay to park, they spend $10 in gas getting to the stadium. Maybe it's just not a problem for people who can afford season tickets?

I just don't understand it. It is SO refreshing to me to find that one in a million thread where people are asking about THE CITY. I grew up wanting to live in a city after being raised in a small rural town. I don't recall ever saying to myself "Man, I hope to live in the suburbs of a major city some day!"

I admittedly moved to the burbs when I first moved here, but that was just to scout the area before making a decision elsewhere. I moved to where I was familiar and was closer to family (on the IL side). From reading these dozens of posts, most people are looking for a place to settle permanently or semi-permanently.

Now I live in a central location in the city and I am close to everything.. I'll never forget talking to a well off individual I work with who lives in Wentzville who has an 8 year old son who has never been to a Cardinals game, and their kids hadn't been to the zoo in over 2 years. I choose not to spend my morning in my car for an hour or more and another hour or more coming home. I enjoy getting off at 4:30pm (in the suburbs, mind you), and making it to my home in the city in 20 minutes. All those poor people that move to Wentzville, only to get a job downtown 2 years later Now they have an hour commute in the morning.

Where I live, I get to my work in west county in the morning in 20 minutes. If I got a job downtown tomorrow, guess what? It would still be a 20 minute commute.

[/rant]

P.S. If you have even a slight tinge of racist in your blood, please don't bother commenting...your opinion is obviously skewed. If you have spent your life or your time in the area in the suburbs and have never lived in the city, please don't bother commenting...your opinion is obviously skewed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2008, 04:27 AM

973 posts, read 2,228,933 times
I was born, raised, went to high school, college, and career in Florida. With the exception of my dad's military service bringing me through StL for 2 years (Scott AFB), California for a year, and South Korea for two years, I've lived most of my life in Florida. I'm well-traveled throughout the country and parts of the world, and I can't wait to make my final move TO St. Louis. I've visited nearly every year for a decade - I have two parts of my family that moved TO St. Louis after I lived there in the mid-80's.

My career situation has me in Florida for now, but when I get an opening in a year or so, I'll be there. I'm currently a software engineer in the simulation industry, but being a diverse and out-going guy, I'd be open to a variety of careers up there. I'd be lying if I said the Cards don't have anything to do with it, and plan on having season tickets after I've got the job & house situation well-settled. My sister's family lives in the country, a couple miles outside Belleville, and my cousin's family lives in south STL. I plan on securing a job first, and I'll be staying with my sister in Belleville for a month or two while I locate a reasonable place to rent. So far, I'm looking primarily at CWE, downtown, Soulard, Tower Grove, and U City.. and I've never lived *in* a city before.

I've been to NYC and felt like I could easily handle living in midtown Manhattan, if only I could bring myself to accept how much money I was throwing down the drain on rent. I loved it while I was there. I'm not intimidated by the city at all, and expect to live *in* STL for awhile. Although I'll probably move closer to family (likely the IL side) once I have kids, I'm moving to STL soon to live *in* STL. Here's a Florida boy who thinks it's one of the greatest places in the country. Once you factor in the benefits of raising a family in the area, it's easily the best in my book. (Alright, the Cards and Cards fans are there, so that automatically makes it the best.)

My only concern has to do with the singles scene up there. I'm not big on the club scene or blowing money on $16 drinks just to show you have it to burn. I tend to prefer the tamer wine bars, sports bars, coffee shops, and mom & pop restaurants, and to look for the girl next door. Coming from friends and family, fewer people stay single long after college up there than in other parts of the country, so I have no idea what to expect as a single 30-year old guy.. what's it like? Am I in for a rude awakening?

Old 09-13-2008, 07:56 AM

5,812 posts, read 18,825,170 times
I think for a lot of families it has to do with their perceptions of city schools, right or not.

Old 09-13-2008, 08:18 AM

2,667 posts, read 6,777,917 times
I moved here in March ... to the "city".

Old 09-13-2008, 11:41 AM
TGS

360 posts, read 1,721,337 times
Oh come on. Different people like different things.

There are real benefits to the suburbs. The houses are generally newer, which means less upkeep. The houses are also usually better laid out for today's lifestyle. The yards are generally larger which is great for kids. The public schools are a heck of lot better. There is a great access to to most big-box stores. For many people, their families and friends live nearby. It is also undeniable that the far-flung suburbs like St. Peters are generally much, much safer than most neighborhoods in St. Louis city.

Old 09-13-2008, 03:20 PM

1,117 posts, read 2,925,845 times
I have lived in the city for 7 years and have met more and more people that have moved to the city recently. The whole moving to the city idea has taken a while to catch on for some people but it certainly is gaining momentum.

Old 09-13-2008, 04:09 PM

2,480 posts, read 5,318,662 times
oh come on is right . There are city people and there are country people. Diversity-This is what makes the world go around.

Old 09-13-2008, 05:14 PM

351 posts, read 649,580 times
Sooooo....you shouldn't live in Chesterfield if you've got Cards tickets???

Chesterfield is a ridiculously more desirable place to live than the city. Unless you're into the whole urban hipster routine--and, let's face it, most people are not--you're not gonna find the city all that appealing.

If you are...awesome. There's obviously plenty of room for you.

Old 09-13-2008, 06:57 PM

40 posts, read 90,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Answers
Chesterfield is a ridiculously more desirable place to live than the city. Unless you're into the whole urban hipster routine--and, let's face it, most people are not--you're not gonna find the city all that appealing.
I actually laughed out loud when I read that. Yes, Chesterfield is great! Nothing like strip malls, chain restaurants, cookie cutter houses, and Stepford wives! All that diversity, fine dining, and entertainment in Chesterfield, what more could you want?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKVA
oh come on is right . There are city people and there are country people.
I'm going to help you out with this one; I have a feeling you read a different thread and then responded to this one. I didn't say COUNTRY, I said suburbia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGS
Oh come on. Different people like different things.
That's very true; some people want to escape frightening minorities and the war zone that we call St. Louis, and then demand that their office downtown gets moved out to Chesterfield so they don't have to do all that driving in their SUV every day. You don't think urban sprawl is a real issue? Give me a break.

Maybe nothing will change until St. Louis stretches to the Lake of the Ozarks with beautiful cookie cutter subdivisions with big yards and white picket fences, and then somebody says "Oh. Maybe we screwed up?"

I just can't wait for the day that suburbia collapses under it's own weight. If you don't think it's going to happen, you're living in a dream world. Suburbia will always be around, so maybe I said that wrong...but "suburbia" stretching all the way to Troy MO and New Baden IL is sickening.

Old 09-14-2008, 01:10 AM

165 posts, read 451,372 times
I live in Webster Groves but my wife and I are moving to north City soon. We're buying an LRA house and renovating it, which will take a while to complete.

I'm confused, though. You deride those that live in west county but commute to the city, when you live in the city and commute to west county. Yes, the city needs more residents, but it also needs people to work there. What makes your choices better than the people you despise?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis