Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2008, 03:04 PM

9 posts, read 18,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishtacos View Post
Without the Hwy construction, the commute shouldn't be more than 30 minutes or you are seriously doing something wrong. Of course the Hwy construction will be complete in a year's time. And, remember, the Hwy project purpose is expanding the Hwy to help ease traffic.

To the original poster, out of curiosity, where in Atlanta were you looking? Buckhead? Midtown?
We've been looking in the Morningside and Virginia Highland neighborhoods, close to midtown and Piedmont Park. We currently live in a condo (renting) in midtown. We sold a house in the burbs last year, and rented to check out the condo lifestyle (my wife doesn't like it!). We love living intown and the access to everything. She just doesn't like sharing walls with others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2008, 07:51 AM

214 posts, read 691,547 times
You will love living in the CWE, I did.

Old 09-27-2008, 08:03 PM

3,618 posts, read 3,053,282 times
I would like to also throw out there the suggestion of U City. I have always argued that the CWE and certain parts of U City (namely Parkview and Ames Place) represent the best of city living in St. Louis. From Parkview or Ames Place, one can walk to the Loop which is a full service, non-chain dominated entertainment district-- a rare amenity in this city. Houses are slightly less expensive in those U City enclaves than their CWE counterparts 1.5 miles away, but very comparable in terms of quality and architectural beauty. For 500 you could pick up a well maintained place in Ames, and something maybe a bit more run-down (and larger) in Parkview. These neighborhoods are also within 1/2 mile of metrolink stations which could get you downtown or to the Galleria shopping center. I have studied the CWE and U City carefully as a potential $400k buyer, and for my money I would go with U City. U City also just a little closer to Westport. You could take Page avenue all the way out, no need to fret over I-40 construction.

Old 09-28-2008, 03:31 PM

Thanks! I'll check it out.

Old 09-29-2008, 01:32 AM

Location: Shaw, St. Louis/West Ridge, Chicago/WuDaoKou, Beijing
292 posts, read 871,648 times
clayton is for you...
I live in chesterfield and being completely honest it is painfully boring.
My family owns a business in the CWE and driving back and forth everyday is a pain, but due to clayton's absolute central location and access to the major highways and major suburban roads it is in my opinion awesome...& it is a little bubble of culture.

Old 09-29-2008, 01:35 AM

Location: Shaw, St. Louis/West Ridge, Chicago/WuDaoKou, Beijing
292 posts, read 871,648 times
also check out U City near WASHU...check the neighborhoods between forsyth and big bend, E-W and between Forest Park Parkway and Delmar N-S...there are giant beautiful homes in that area that are inexpensive for their size...mostly gated communities...anything along Waterman.

Old 09-29-2008, 12:33 PM

Thanks, desperad0stl! I think we're focused on CWE, Clayton and U City. Does anyone have a realtor recommendation, someone who specializes in those areas?

Old 09-29-2008, 01:32 PM

1,869 posts, read 5,801,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfsinger View Post
Thanks! I'll check it out.
U.City is a good suggestion and less expensive than Clayton. The Loop is great. There are some good possibilities East near Wash U. and on the Southern edges of U.City as well.

Old 10-18-2008, 08:51 PM

5 posts, read 21,347 times
Wink I've lived in both cities and I like....

both of them for different reasons. Kansas City is more folksey. I think the people are very nice there. Definitely better, more considerate drivers. Slower pace there, for sure. You can get more house for the money there in my opinion. One of my favorite places I've ever lived was on the Country Club Plaza in KC. Absolutely gorgeous and such a fun place to live. You can walk to excellent restaurants and entertainment. Short drive to Arrowhead stadium or Royals stadium. It's so enchanting at Christmas time. Especially for your age bracket I think the Plaza area would be perfect for you.

St Louis is more metropolitan. You might like St Louis Hills if you want to have some yard. People there are very nice and neighborly and love to work on their yards.

Good luck!

Old 10-19-2008, 08:23 AM

634 posts, read 2,347,430 times
You should also check areas just west of Wash U. (Big Bend) heading towards downtown Clayton, which will be called UCity or Clayton, depending on the block you're looking at.The Wydown area is especially nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis