Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 10:26 PM

2 posts, read 4,358 times

Advertisements

I am so glad I stumbled onto this site!
Today I received am offer to relocate with my current company to the St. Louis area. I'm lucky to be 2 hours away in IL, so I can scope things out first, but nothing compares to those who currently live there - you! First, I'd work in Ballwin. I'm in a investing/banking position, and my ideal clients for me are middle/upper middle class, particually baby boomer age. Not too wealthy, but those with some money to invest. How does Ballwin stack up?
The next big question is where the heck do I live? I've looked at so many places online and I desperately need help narrowing them down. I currently own but probably will rent for a year first, unless just the perfect place to buy popped up. I'm a 29 yr old female and am excited about being in a bigger city. I like arts and music, and it would be great to be able to go out for a night on the town without having to drive. So being near the Metro or within walking distance of restaurants and bars is preferable. I've been considering the CWE and Clayton. I'm thinking downtown would be too far to Ballwin. What other suggestions do you have? The max rent I'll pay is $1000, but less is better, since I pay $700 now for a house. I'm also concerned about the commute. How long could I expect it to take from the CWE to Ballwin in rush hour?
Can a girl have it all? THANK YOU FOR HELPING!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2008, 10:50 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,827,879 times
I don't live in St. Louis either. But being young, Central West End may work for you. Clayton is probably going to be more expensive, though $1000/month should still be enough. From my understanding the Ballwin area is a pretty upscale/expensive suburb. It's where the Phillies Ryan Howard is from actually. Downtown may be a farther commute, but there are some beautiful lofts and apartments there. The Central West End, Clayton, and Downtown all have MetroLink, so you could live in one of those places and take the train around the city. Unfortunately, south City has no train, only buses. Google Maps shows the commute from Clayton to Ballwin to be about a half-hour trip, but I'm not sure how they calculate traffic.

St. Louis County needs to pass a sales tax in November. If they don't, MetroLink has threatened to stop service at 8 PM. So hopefully St. Louis County residents have enough foresight to pass the tax.

Once you meet your coworkers, you could see if they have any kind of carpool set up, or if you could set one up. That would certainly help ease gas prices.

I don't know if I can help you more than that. I'm only posting what others have told me and what seems to be the general consensus. I go to St. Louis a few times a year, but I live 3 hours away in SE Missouri, so you probably live closer than I do.

Anyway, if you have some time, maybe on a weekend, it might be good to spend a couple days in the city. I would probably check out downtown, Central West End, Clayton, University City, maybe Soulard (probably quieter than the others).

Best of luck! St. Louis could always use more young people.

Old 09-24-2008, 07:24 AM

2,667 posts, read 6,779,210 times
Would you really want to commute from St. Louis to Ballwin? I live in St. Louis because I work in St. Louis, but if I worked in Ballwin, I'd live in Ballwin. But, yes, CWE would work well for you.

Old 09-24-2008, 08:28 AM

321 posts, read 1,003,618 times
Ballwin actually covers a pretty large area so it makes a big difference if your job location is closer to Clayton Rd on the Northern city boundary or closer to Big Bend on the Southern boundary since 141 traffic can get pretty bad during rush hour. If you are closer to the Southern edge you would be close to 44 so you could live in or near "downtown" Webster which would be a short commute but still appeal to your "arts and music" side. Living in or within walking distance of Clayton is doable at $1000/mo and would be a good bet if your job is closer to Clayton Rd, especially once the western chunk of highway 40 opens up in a few months. Just don't expect the most luxurious of Clayton accomodations at that rent level. In all cases you would be going against the main volume of traffic (until you hit 270 and then 141) so that is definitely a plus. Ballwin itself is actually a very nice city to live in, but definitely very suburban with less in the "arts and music" category and not much on walkability. But living in Ballwin the commute to and from work would definitely be nice! I am sure there are plenty of younger singles that live in the many apartment complexes in Ballwin, and they must find plenty to do there!

Old 09-24-2008, 10:22 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,618,797 times
Ballwin sounds like a very good place to do your business, but it doesn't sound like somewhere you'd want to live. It's a very family-oriented area, and wouldn't really fit at all with what you're looking for.

I also would like to know where in Ballwin you'll be working, as this can certainly help with our suggestions.

Old 09-26-2008, 08:23 PM

2 posts, read 4,358 times
I'll be working at about 15000 Manchester Road. Thanks!

Old 09-26-2008, 09:10 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,827,879 times
Hmm.. Can't find 15000 Manchester Road on Google Maps.

EDIT: Found it.

I think the closest MetroLink area is at Maplewood, which may be to quiet for you, or maybe Clayton. Each is going to be a while away, depending on the I-40 traffic.

The I-40 thing only has like a year left. So, if you want to live in the city, then I say go for it. Or, if you don't mind sacrificing your convenience to MetroLink, you could rent closer to work until I-40 work is done.

Last edited by STLCardsBlues1989; 09-26-2008 at 09:20 PM..

Old 10-13-2008, 09:55 PM

1 posts, read 1,927 times
I don't see living in the Clayton area and using Metro as compatible ideas. You'll be driving to and from work. You won't then go and take Metrolink to go out at night. Accept that you'll need a car if you want to live where there's night life and work in Ballwin. Consider Kirkwood or Webster Groves if you want a great atmosphere and a sense of community that's accessible to both. It's suburban but feels a bit urban as well. Homes are smaller and younger couples and singles live in them.

Old 10-14-2008, 01:19 PM

351 posts, read 649,697 times
I'd just live in West County, if I were working in Ballwin. But if you're set on a more urban lifestyle, the CWE would be a good bet. You'd be doing a reverse commute so traffic shouldn't be too bad--though with the 64 shutdown it won't be nearly as breezy as it would be the highway open.

If you're working in Ballwin, you're going to be driving. You might be able to tool around town on Metrolink if you're going downtown or over to Clayton for dinner or something. But St. Louis is very much a car city. I guess it all comes down to what you're looking for. It's true that you'll fine more people in your age group in the CWE and a much "hipper" set of people--but don't discount all that West County has to offer.

Old 10-14-2008, 02:02 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,618,797 times
What does West County have to offer?

Prestige?
Great schools?
Big houses?
Super safe?
Family-oriented?

How are any of those things the OP wants?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis