Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2008, 03:40 AM

3,430 posts, read 4,252,671 times

Advertisements

I have two questions, please. What can you tell me about the area around Hampton & Chippewa? A friend e-mailed me about an apartment complex there. She did not get a name of the complex but did get the price.

The price gets me to my second question. This may sound ridiculous but, isn't $475/month rather cheap for a nice apartment in St. Louis? Not to quibble. Most people would grab anything that costs less but I am not sure something so inexpensive measures up.

Thank you for some thoughts on this. Hazel W
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2008, 10:55 PM

115 posts, read 481,378 times
My sister lived in that area off of Mardel, and it was nice. Definitely somewhere desirable in the city. I can't specifically tell you about any of the apartments though. Good luck in your search!

Old 09-29-2008, 04:18 AM

Thank you.

Old 09-29-2008, 09:26 AM

287 posts, read 1,086,538 times
I live in this area, and we like it here. At that intersection, you have a grocery store, Target, McDonalds, JC Penney, several restaurants, a library, a music store, nail salon, and various other businesses. The only apartment "complex" I can think of near there is Hampton Gardens. Is that what you're looking at? I don't have any specific knowledge of those apartments, but it looks nice enough from the outside. I would be wary of renting on Chippewa east of Hampton, as that street does have some issues. HTH.

Old 09-29-2008, 09:35 AM

Thank you. Is that street to the shops easy to cross on foot? That is my problem. I do not drive and must walk it. And, I know from experience that the fact there is a walk light doesn't always mean anything. Certainly not where I live now.

I've not yet run into a Hampton Gardens. I'll check on that. All I have so far are Crystal Towers and Lindenwood Heights. I am told that Crystal Towers is about a block from the intersection of Chippewa and Hampton. Not sure about which direction. Lindenwood is behind Crystal.

I'll look for Hampton Gardens. Thanks.

Old 09-29-2008, 09:42 AM

287 posts, read 1,086,538 times
Yes, that area is very pedestrian friendly. This part of south city is built mainly on a grid, so it's easy to get around without getting lost. There are also bus stops up and down Hampton, Chippewa, Kingshighway and Macklind.
Hampton Gardens is a little north of that intersection, I think near Hampton and Fyler. I'm not familiar with the shape of any of the apartments you mentioned, but I can tell you, the area is safe and you shouldn't have any problem getting what you might need on foot. Good luck!

Old 09-29-2008, 09:48 AM

Thanks so much. I appreciate the input. I am not one for getting lost in any city - lucky me - but crossing busy streets on Walk lights has almost defeated me. Especially since the "turn right on red law" came to haunt us.

Old 09-30-2008, 12:57 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,611,075 times
Very nice area, little more urban than some of Shrewsbury and Marlborough locations you had mentioned before, but this probably works well for you if trying to get around by bus, and its a pretty walkable area.

$475 is a little cheap, but not worryingly so. At that price point I would think you're looking at an older, un-updated 1 bedroom.

Old 09-30-2008, 02:33 PM

Actually it is a two bedroom but I found out that it does not have central air conditioning. They furnish two window fans but you know how that does for evenness of temperature.

I surely appreciate all of the thoughts you all have passed on. I really am progressing. Still looking, though. For one thing, I want my own washer/dryer and those seem to be rare as hen's teeth.

Old 10-05-2011, 03:09 PM

1 posts, read 5,076 times
I am going to be visiting some friends that live off Chippewa and Hampton. I am wanting to go out and do things in the evening? I used to live in the O'fallon area... but don't know anything about downtown. Was wanting bar... nightclub...maybe even a haunted house. We are 26 and want to have a good time. Anything close to that area for that. One of the persons going to be with me has never been to STL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis