Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2009, 11:14 PM

421 posts, read 1,565,532 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
After JFK was elected there was a vast decline in people's bad perceptions of Catholics. Do you not think electing a black president could do something similar?
The fact that Obama is an intelligent intellectual man who is a responsible father and good husband (at least he appears to be these things) does not change the reality that 40% of young black males in America are incarcerated. When Kennedy was elected, Catholics were as law abiding if not more so than most Protestants. Prejudice against them was not based on large numbers of them using their free will to make immoral, callous, and destructive choices. Catholicism has always used guilt very effectively to build a fear in one of engaging in deviant acts.

In terms of racial harmony, I don't think America is headed is a positive direction these days by any stretch of the imagination. White youth absorbing themselves in rap culture is 100% negative. They are mainly learning to disrespect women through this. Social acceptance of black youth who behave responsibly and display high morals is what should be occurring, not white teenaged boys thinking drug dealing, drive-by shootings, and objectification of women are cool. These behaviors are tragic consequences of the poverty and despair of the ghetto, and are behaviors that hurt decent black people trying to live good lives. White kids thinking these behaviors are "cute", as the current generation of white teens seems to think, is a pretty negative path to racial harmony in America. Black teens moving away from rap culture, not white teens moving toward it, is what we need to have a better America. There is nothing "cute" about drug addiction, violence, domestic violence, or prostitution. We need black teens who want to be like Aretha Franklin or Lionel Ritchie, not white teens who think Tupac Shakur was some kind of hero to have a truly better AMerica.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2009, 10:26 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,611,075 times
I think you mean 4% of black males are incarcerated. You could also say that 35% of the prison population is black males or that 21% of black males in their 20s who didn't attend college are incarcerated (as of 2004 stats anyway). Where do your 40% statistics come from?

Old 06-18-2009, 11:34 PM

421 posts, read 1,565,532 times
The 40% was a stat I encountered over and over in the criminal justice courses I have taken over the past couple of years. A very disturbing fact, yes, but realistic, according to a number of the black students that were enrolled in these courses and who grew up in urban neighborhoods. The drug culture has created a horrible cycle of violence in many inner city neighborhoods. Rap music has also encouraged the violence by glorifying "thug life" and prostitution. These behaviors are learned, and can be learned by anyone, especially stupid white teenagers who think that gangster rap culture is cool.

Old 06-18-2009, 11:57 PM

414 posts, read 884,225 times
Places where I have encountered racism, either verbally, physically or just those certain looks I get, I generally start to call racist. While it might not be fair to a lot of other good people who live in those areas, it becomes very difficult not to label an area with a certain stereotype. A person of a minority race, like myself, has to begin to consider their own safety at some point. When I see fear or anger in the eyes of people I get really uncomfortable and fearful too. If that happens enough in one place its best that I just remember there are many racists there and don't return. I also depend on the accounts of people I trust to avoid such areas. While I've only encountered racism, or moreso disgruntled rude tolerance, in South County once I've been advised not to upset anyone there as it could escalate quickly.

Now, you can call me racist for feeling that way...whatever. I am not out there trying to ruin anyone's day or life b/c they are different. I can assure you, there are more than a few that will want to harm me. I mean, just imagine what it feels like when you call your mother to tell her you are visiting some place rural and she starts worrying about your safety b/c of racists. I'm not sorry, but the bad apples ruin it for all the good folk.

I am very optimistic for the future though. With the ways that people are connected in our generation today through social networking people, even those from racist roots, begin to understand those they used to fear before they even know the color of their skin.

Old 06-19-2009, 12:02 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
its the knee jerk for when you get called on your stuff.

Old 06-19-2009, 12:52 AM

414 posts, read 884,225 times
You know, its been about a year since I visited South County. I was brought there by a friend to a party with some young people. When they learned I wasn't the hostile type...heh...the black jokes came a rolling...prolly b/c I look Mexican to them. It still made me very uncomfortable but I wonder if recent events have changed the minds of the youth there. Maybe not...but I have hope.

Old 06-19-2009, 05:23 AM

1,817 posts, read 4,924,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orwelleaut View Post
The 40% was a stat I encountered over and over in the criminal justice courses I have taken over the past couple of years. A very disturbing fact, yes, but realistic, according to a number of the black students that were enrolled in these courses and who grew up in urban neighborhoods. The drug culture has created a horrible cycle of violence in many inner city neighborhoods. Rap music has also encouraged the violence by glorifying "thug life" and prostitution. These behaviors are learned, and can be learned by anyone, especially stupid white teenagers who think that gangster rap culture is cool.
Ya you are insanely wrong. It is just over 4 percent.

Geesh.

Old 06-19-2009, 07:57 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,611,075 times
It's not a "disturbing fact." That would imply it has basis in fact, which, from everything I have ever seen, it does not.

I'd be curious to see you post any Web site, study or article that has a number any where near that number.

Old 06-21-2009, 10:02 PM

711 posts, read 2,107,119 times
I used to be an elitist who declared everyone in the suburbs a racist, then realized what an idiot I sounded like.

Old 06-22-2009, 08:27 AM

27 posts, read 46,234 times
I think the term "racist" is thrown around too easily. Truth is, racism does exist. Those who fail to recognize that are clearly not paying attention. But with that being said, we have come along way. Racism is not openly accepted like it was back in the day. Those, who voice racist opinions are quickly alienated by the majority of society.

Being a black female, I do get sick and tired of individuals within my race using "racism" as an excuse for everything. For example, I get tired of hearing about these communities that blame the "rich white elite" for all of the problems and crime in the inner cities. In my opinion the root of the problem is the family structure. If family's took more control in raising their children, if father's stepped up to the plate and were better role models, if parents just paid attention.... I'm sure that some of the issues could be alleviated. This goes for the poor white and black communities. Racism has become a cop out....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis