Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 11:32 AM

2 posts, read 11,598 times

Advertisements

I'm new to St Louis and expecting my first baby -- can anyone recommend a good, pro-life ob-gyn?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2009, 12:04 AM

93 posts, read 305,275 times
I hope someone else can help you out. Good luck!

Last edited by ShadowCaver; 01-07-2009 at 10:09 AM.. Reason: remove off-topic material...

Old 01-07-2009, 01:25 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,264,727 times
Any of the Catholic hospitals will be able to provide you with a referral. Try SLU Hospital, for example.

You will still need to interview the doctor referred.

Old 01-08-2009, 12:26 PM

2 posts, read 11,598 times
Thanks for the advice. The doctor-decision is a bit overwhelming!

Old 01-14-2009, 09:57 AM

20 posts, read 92,581 times
Have you considered a midwife?

Old 01-14-2009, 03:06 PM

80 posts, read 159,304 times
I don't know of any doctor who is not pro-life. The question might be- does the doctor perform abortions as in "elective abortions"? Becky Shelton, M.D. and Jodi Smith, D.O. are both excellent doctors in ob/gyn. They are located in Town & Country (314-919-2600) the hospital is St. Johns Mercy. They have a midwife who works with them as well. She is a Certified Nurse Midwife (CNM).

I do not advocate home birth by a lay midwife. As a medical professional I have attended many births. If something goes wrong, and it can in even the best of circumstances, you or your baby could be injured, or die in a matter of seconds. Go to a good hospital and have your baby safely, by caring and well trained doctors & nurses.

I wish the best for you and your baby.

Old 01-15-2009, 04:18 PM

Or, do your research and hire a qualified, competent home birth midwife certified by NARM (North American Registry of Midwives).

We have several in St. Louis who are just as qualified, if not more so. PM me if you want names.

And consider joining us for a screening of the documentary Orgasmic Birth this Saturday at the Ethical Society on Clayton Rd, or next Saturday at the Chiropractic Wellness Connection in O'Fallon, MO. You can get tickets online at www.freethemidwives.org - $10 in advance, $15 at the door. It will change the way you view birth - and yourself.

Old 01-15-2009, 04:42 PM

80 posts, read 159,304 times
Free the midwives.org, why are the midwives not free? I'm so very sure the doctors have a good reason to keep lay midwives locked up. Safety, safety, and more safety.

Are lay midwives telling unsuspecting women they will have orgasms during birth? You all will do anything to get folks in the door. How funny!!!!

Old 01-30-2009, 09:33 AM

Dr. Duhart, D.O, is the only physician in St. Louis who does home births. He has an office in North County.

CPMs (Certified Professional Midwives) are just as competent - if not more so - than OBs to care for a woman during a normal, healthy pregnancy and attend her low-risk birth out of the hospital. OBs are trained to view pregnancy as a medical condition that needs "fixing." Except pregnancy and birth are part of a woman's normal life cycle, and that is how midwives view it. Please do your research.

And yes, it *is* possible to have an orgasm during birth, or at the very least to have a wonderfully pleasurable experience. The same hormones, blood engorgement, muscles, and nerves are at work for birth as in sex. Going into birth in a healthy frame of mind, well-educated and well-prepared, rather than scared and full of horror stories from less-prepared and less knowledgeable women, can result in a birth experience that is enjoyable. And when one avoids the cascade of medical interventions (many wholly unnecessary other than to save a doctor time or "protect" a woman from "pain and suffering"), and when one allows her body to work the way it was designed, one can *gasp* experience an orgasmic birth.

Orgasmic birth has nothing to do with "getting women in the door." It's about choosing the best place to birth your baby with caregivers who support your informed choices. If you don't know your options, you don't have any. No woman should be FORCED to birth where she isn't comfortable - home or hospital.

OP - some good books to read include:
- Ina May's Guide to Childbirth (Ina May Gaskin)
- Spiritual Midwifery (Ina May Gaskin)
- Pushed (Jennifer Block)
- The Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth
- Gentle Birth Choices
- Birthing from Within

You may also want to research the "Midwives Model of Care" as compared to the medical model.

As a birth doula and soon-to-be student midwife, I welcome an off-line discussion if you would like more information about your choices for birth in St. Louis.

Blessings,
Meredith

Last edited by birthsister; 01-30-2009 at 09:42 AM..

Old 01-30-2009, 10:01 AM

4,682 posts, read 12,055,966 times
Lets keep the discussion helpful and related to the OP question/subject.

Debates are not what is needed here in this thread - create one in P&OC forum if so desired.

Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis