Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2009, 10:30 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,823,233 times

Advertisements

That's what I've always heard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2009, 10:53 PM

938 posts, read 3,505,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJohnston_STL View Post
Isn't the Mardi Gras in St Louis the second largest next to N'awlins?
Yes. The one year I went (2006), Soulard filled up with an estimated 500-800 thousand people. So probably twice the normal population of the city, all in one neighborhood. It was what you would expect for a Mardi Gras experience, although I haven't been in New Orleans. Word from the [now] wise...don't carry your wallet in your back pocket. Mine was nearly pit-pocketed, luckily my sobriety at the time saved it.

Old 01-25-2009, 09:40 PM

711 posts, read 2,107,119 times
That's awesome. Hopefully the NIMBY that is the alderwoman for Soulard doesn't try to get it moved, like she is Oktoberfest. She doesn't want it because it "snarls traffic" and brings in the drunks. But as another person said in another forum, Oktoberfest doesn't bring in the drunks; Soulard does

I had friends come from deep south Illinois to Mardi Gras, and the moron took the Metrolink in East St. Louis instead of Fairview Heights. I wanted to slap him in the head for that. To answer your question, yes, his window got busted out and got all his stuff stolen.

Old 01-26-2009, 08:17 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,611,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atl_to_stl View Post
My co-workers (who are from St. Louis) say it's a hard city to meet new people because they don't really welcome "outsiders"...is there any truth to this?
I suspect only outsiders are really qualified to answer this question, but my impression is that St. Louis can be a hard city to move to and make friends, not because we have anything against outsiders, but often because we're just different people. Singles see this especially I think because St. Louis has a history of being a very family oriented town.

I suspect you do also notice the lack of southern hospitality in St. Louis too as you did in Cleveland. St. Louis is much more like Chicago in that we'll hold a door for you, we'll make an inane comment about the weather on the metro to you, but we don't suffer fools well.

I have family in Atlanta and found Atlantans a little passive aggressive compared to St. Louis. Don't take that as a bad thing either -- I really just think there are strong regional differences. I think sometimes these differences in how you are raised can have a surprising effect on the relationships we form.

And God are you right! The traffic in Atlanta is like Chicago's (though Chicago wins that one because of the God-awful weather traffic we get here all winter long!)

Old 01-28-2009, 01:49 PM

1,869 posts, read 5,801,042 times
Another thing to add to the original poster is that Atlanta is flooded with many transplants from other places. St. Louis would be more in line with like size Midwestern cities and other places. There are more people who grew up in St. Louis and never left, or who left for a while and came back. Often times these people have lifelong friends and inside jokes and memories that go back a long way. The key is finding people who can balance that but who are not stuck living in only those memories with those people and who are open-minded for new things and new ideas. Those people exist in St. Louis, but to say you won't find the former too would not be accurate.

Explore the things, people, and places unique to St. Louis and find new things you like to go along with your current and past likes and interests to find some happy balance.

If you find yourself caught up with a person or group of people that are not open to outsiders, then move on to people who are, ...they exist and you'll be happier around those people.

Old 01-28-2009, 04:59 PM

1,117 posts, read 2,925,582 times
It may be harder than other cities but like any other place the size of STL it still isnt really that hard. You just have to put a little more work into it.

In addition, people may rave about the singles scene in NYC but what they forget is that it is commonly referred to as the loneliest city in the world.

Dont let perception interfere with reality!!!

Last edited by ShadowCaver; 01-28-2009 at 06:15 PM..

Old 01-28-2009, 06:55 PM

19 posts, read 62,443 times
I'm sure you're right, I'll just have to put a little more effort into it. It's been very tough...I won't lie. My work consists of traveling...I live out of suitcases for 12 months out of the year so I know how to get out and meet people. Haven't had success so far in this city but I'll keep trying. Still not finding a lot of young professionals, especially black professionals. I'm not looking to hang around with just one race but I don't see as much interaction between races like I do in Atlanta. I'm definitely used to being in a melting pot where people go to the same weekend hangout spots. Tough city for this newcomer but I'm still enjoying my time here.

Old 01-28-2009, 07:46 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,823,233 times
Sorry that you're not having much luck.

Where are you living? Maybe meet with your local neighborhood association when their next meeting is. Get to know some people that way.
St. Louis Neighborhoods: Map

Old 01-28-2009, 08:17 PM

711 posts, read 2,107,119 times
It's like you said atl_to_stl, you are used to living in a suburban city. And by your own admission, St. Louis is a real city. Being as ATL grew by something like 30 sq. miles and 2 million residents in 10 years time (no thanks!), I'm guessing you see such interaciton because the city is full of transplants, something STL is not.

Old 01-28-2009, 09:19 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,261,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atl_to_stl View Post
I'm sure you're right, I'll just have to put a little more effort into it. It's been very tough...I won't lie. My work consists of traveling...I live out of suitcases for 12 months out of the year so I know how to get out and meet people.
That is funny.

For two of our years in St. Louis, I commuted to Orange Co., CA and my wife to Boston. We were gone so much that we rented to a SLU student to keep an eye on the house.

Your best bet to meet people is to join a club, organization, or a church. That is the only way that we could meet up with people while we were home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis