Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 03:27 PM

5,888 posts, read 12,936,319 times

Advertisements

I still think the concept is interesting, and will develop over time into a nice community. Think Levitttown, NY and Irvine, CA.

I would leery of it being on a flood plain. We all know how levees can fail.

Its also the closest thing to a Disney Park that you will ever get in Missouri.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2010, 06:15 PM

23,410 posts, read 36,818,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
Its also the closest thing to a Disney Park that you will ever get in Missouri.
Thank you, Jesus!!!!!!!

Old 10-25-2010, 11:15 PM

165 posts, read 370,342 times
My brother and his wife have lived in New Town for the last several years, and I have been there many many times visiting them. They rent a nice town house for the time being while they are saving to purchase a home (Probably not in New Town). It's a really nice place, and it's dirt cheap compared to what I am paying for a much smaller place in Chicago.

We joked about the stepford thing about the place when they first moved in, but in reality I never noticed any kind of vibe like that. I have been to many of the community events, been to the bar, been to the grocery store, been to the ice cream shop, etc. ... and it's just normal people living life. Most of the people I have met there are very nice. It's just a neighborhood.

But anyway they have a young daughter and the amenities are really great for her. The lakes, the pool, the parks, the fish ponds, the movie nights, the fireworks etc. are all great for the kid (and the parents). They love it there.

They probably won't purchase a home there though, because they want to get closer to work.

Old 10-26-2010, 08:31 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,467,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dis99 View Post
My brother and his wife have lived in New Town for the last several years, and I have been there many many times visiting them. They rent a nice town house for the time being while they are saving to purchase a home (Probably not in New Town). It's a really nice place, and it's dirt cheap compared to what I am paying for a much smaller place in Chicago.

We joked about the stepford thing about the place when they first moved in, but in reality I never noticed any kind of vibe like that. I have been to many of the community events, been to the bar, been to the grocery store, been to the ice cream shop, etc. ... and it's just normal people living life. Most of the people I have met there are very nice. It's just a neighborhood.

But anyway they have a young daughter and the amenities are really great for her. The lakes, the pool, the parks, the fish ponds, the movie nights, the fireworks etc. are all great for the kid (and the parents). They love it there.

They probably won't purchase a home there though, because they want to get closer to work.
Well everything is dirt cheap in St. Louis when compared to Chicago, lol! Though, if I may ask, do you know what they're paying?

Old 10-26-2010, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
Well everything is dirt cheap in St. Louis when compared to Chicago, lol! Though, if I may ask, do you know what they're paying?
Yeah true about Chicago vs. St.Louis. I don't know why I made that comparison; It just came to mind

Anyway, they pay $800 for a two-story 3 bedroom, 2.5 bath town house, with washer and dryer in the unit. (Another hard thing to get in Chicago )

Their landlord owns several buildings in New Town. But she is really slow to fix stuff though.

Old 10-26-2010, 01:00 PM

^ A quick look at Craigslist shows that's a pretty good price given how new and nice I'm sure the townhouse is. Bummer about the lousy landlord tho -- have they had anything serious that needed fixing?

Old 10-26-2010, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
^ A quick look at Craigslist shows that's a pretty good price given how new and nice I'm sure the townhouse is. Bummer about the lousy landlord tho -- have they had anything serious that needed fixing?
Yeah it was a brand new unit when they moved. They are the only ones to ever live in it. But last year their hot water heater broke, and it took the landlord 4-5 days to get it fixed

Old 10-31-2010, 06:07 PM

263 posts, read 527,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenciti View Post
If you live in Newtown or know someone that does, please give us the lowdown. What are the pros and cons of living in this planned community? How much are the HOA costs? Is it really built on a flood plain? Why is it not creepy? Please inform us outsiders.
Fake urbanity at its worst.

Another really creepy spot is the planned community across the street from the Galleria. I get a little queasy every time I drive through there.

Old 11-01-2010, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotigers123 View Post
Fake urbanity at its worst.

Another really creepy spot is the planned community across the street from the Galleria. I get a little queasy every time I drive through there.
At least one near the Galleria would be in an already relatively dense area and close to amenities and public transportation. Do you know where exactly it's going?

Old 11-01-2010, 08:51 AM

321 posts, read 998,179 times
That's the Boulevard Saint Louis with the P.F. Changs, Magianno's, Nadoz and Crate and Barrel. They were originally supposed to build that all the way down to highway 40, but I believe due to the economy that has been slowed down and scaled back. It is an interesting concept but does seem weird having this supposedly "urban" street built across a major artery from a large suburban mall. I go by there every day and occasionally visit some of the stores and offices there on the Boulevard. It does have a Disneyland-like "instant urban area" effect, similar to the South 40 dorm area of Wash U. Weird place, but that doesn't mean I won't go there since we live so close to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis