Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 01:48 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,765,492 times

Advertisements

TPMDC | Talking Points Memo | Bond: Long-Term Mass Transit Investment "Not Stimulative"

Senator Kit Bond is giving us a nice kick in the head on his way to retirement.

It's just sickening. Our transit systems need help. This state cannot depend solely on cars all the time. The rural areas need cars. The urban areas do not need cars. Cars cause congestion and it dense areas of cities cars are not needed and are not the best option. What is Kit Bond thinking?

Want to call Kit Bond and tell him how you feel about this? Here's his contact info:
.: United States Senator Kit Bond :: Contact :.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2009, 01:50 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,499,088 times
Short-sighted moron.

Old 02-04-2009, 02:57 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,765,492 times
Go to his website. Write him an email. I doubt he'll read it, but maybe if he gets enough emails pointing out how wrong he is, he'll change his mind. Leave him a message on one of his many numbers.

We need some kind of protest also.

Old 02-04-2009, 07:34 PM

80 posts, read 221,215 times
Senator Bond is an out of date relic. I hope that we can replace him with someone better after he retires.

Old 02-05-2009, 09:20 AM

7,442 posts, read 6,968,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLCardsBlues1989 View Post
TPMDC | Talking Points Memo | Bond: Long-Term Mass Transit Investment "Not Stimulative"

Senator Kit Bond is giving us a nice kick in the head on his way to retirement.

It's just sickening. Our transit systems need help. This state cannot depend solely on cars all the time. The rural areas need cars. The urban areas do not need cars. Cars cause congestion and it dense areas of cities cars are not needed and are not the best option. What is Kit Bond thinking?

Want to call Kit Bond and tell him how you feel about this? Here's his contact info:
.: United States Senator Kit Bond :: Contact :. (http://bond.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?FuseAction=ContactUs.OfficeLocations - broken link)
Federal investment in mass transit in St. Louis (Metrolink) may in fact be a good idea that deserves debate. Short term economic stimulis it is not, which is the point of the bill currently being debated.

Old 02-05-2009, 09:27 AM

Wrong.

A healthy light-rail system employs many people, draws businesses to St. Louis, allows people to get to the jobs they already have and reduces our dependence on foreign oil.

Old 02-05-2009, 11:40 AM

938 posts, read 3,494,183 times
I believe any type of infrastructure construction, whether light rail or highway, is both short and long-term stimulus due to the instant jobs created by the construction. I'm a big fan of public transportation (and use it nearly every day), but I don't think the stimulus bill should be limited to mass transit only, as then it will only benefit urban areas rather than transportation needs in rural parts of the country.

Old 02-05-2009, 01:33 PM

More than 80 percent of Americans live in metro areas.

That's not to say I entirely disagree, but I think this is a very interesting, often overlooked statistic.

If one of Obama's key goals is to lessen the dependence on foreign oil it makes sense that he'd be pushing for public transit funding over funding for roads.

Old 02-05-2009, 02:46 PM

938 posts, read 3,494,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
More than 80 percent of Americans live in metro areas.

That's not to say I entirely disagree, but I think this is a very interesting, often overlooked statistic.

If one of Obama's key goals is to lessen the dependence on foreign oil it makes sense that he'd be pushing for public transit funding over funding for roads.
That statistic may be true, but also keep in mind that just about everything we own is shipped by truck, through the rural areas between cities. Some interstates and highways are nice, while others are crumbling and dangerous (Missouri has made leaps and bounds when it comes to highways in the past few years). Better roads in these areas equals lower shipping costs, therefore lower product costs, and safer roads for all of us. As I said I'm a huge fan of public transportation and think it should be funded, but highway projects should also be funded with the stimulus package.

I'm not a fan of Kit Bond and definitely don't agree that mass transit "isn't stimulative". I do like Claire McCaskill though, and even met her a when she was running for governor in 2004. It will be interesting to see who the junior senator from Missouri will be when Bond retires.

Old 02-05-2009, 04:15 PM

4,682 posts, read 12,021,428 times
Goal of the stimulus package is... to stimulate the economy, relatively soon, and with enough power to get bang for the buck w/ this ~900b dollars of our moneys. Do the items included within the bill as proposed meet those goals? Improving infrastructure is very important - such is highly critical to our economy, has great benefits across the board. Those infrastructures, IMHO, include rail, mass transit, highways, bridges, etc - all of this. At the end of the day, it seems that the formula to divide up which part of that puzzle gets how much is what is being debated...

The Washington Monthly
Quote:
... As for the vote itself, there were 58 senators in support of the infrastructure expansion, including two Republicans (Specter and Bond). There were 39 votes against, and 38 were Republicans. ...
Lastly, really buggers me about this stimulus package is the BS crud w/in it... the pork and favourite projects have got to get out of there.
Slash the pork in Senate stimulus bill | Midwest Voices
Oink oink: The smell of pork | KansasCity.com Prime Buzz
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis