Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 03:43 PM

4 posts, read 12,635 times

Advertisements

I am going to be graduating in May 2010 with my Bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering. I am wanting to move from Alabama to St. Louis to be closer to my family. I have been searching for jobs in St. Louis since December on websites such as indeed.com, monster.com, and missouricareersource.com. I cannot find anything! All the jobs I've seen require 5-10 years of experience and I only have 2 years of co-op/intern experience. Any advice on where to look? Is St. Louis not a good place for engineering jobs in general or is it just the economy right now that's keeping me from finding a job?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2010, 04:08 PM

1,912 posts, read 4,687,956 times
Boeing is a huge employer of engineers in the area. I would absolutely try talking to someone there, if you haven't already.

Old 03-08-2010, 05:45 PM

275 posts, read 1,124,801 times
Check out the website for ConocoPhillips. They hire engineers, but you need to go through their corporate headquarters. Go here: University Recruitment

Also, U.S. Steel in Granite City:
U. S. Steel - Careers: Overview

And don't forget the smaller companies in those communities that support these businesses. Check with contracting firms like Bechtel, too.

And don't forget sales in the engineering field. Check with companies like Emerson for not just engineering jobs, but also jobs in the sales of engineering products.

Good luck!

Good luck!

Old 03-09-2010, 01:20 AM

1,250 posts, read 2,517,147 times
I have noticed in engineering in St. Louis it seems that it depends on what type of engineering you are in as to weather you can find jobs in your field. I graduated in environmental engineering and couldn't find much in that field in the area so I ended with a job in Atlanta, though I got laid off a year later. I looked again and have only found a handful of jobs in my field and experience in the area so I hope you are finding better luck than me.

It does seem to be that depending on what engineering degree you got as to how easy it is to find in an area. From personal observation electrical and mechanical seem easier to find in St. Louis.

Old 03-09-2010, 08:12 PM

4 posts, read 12,635 times
Thanks for the helpful responses! I have applied to Boeing, but they definitely don't have as many postings as they have had in the past. I will keep checking though. CellarBelle I will take your very helpful advice and check out those places. Imperialmog, I seem to be finding quite a bit more software and mechanical jobs than electrical jobs, but I guess I'll keep looking. Hopefully jobs in general start picking up soon!

Old 03-10-2010, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherrylipz View Post
Thanks for the helpful responses! I have applied to Boeing, but they definitely don't have as many postings as they have had in the past. I will keep checking though. CellarBelle I will take your very helpful advice and check out those places. Imperialmog, I seem to be finding quite a bit more software and mechanical jobs than electrical jobs, but I guess I'll keep looking. Hopefully jobs in general start picking up soon!
The software and mechanical seems to be larger percentage in St. Louis, I know since I can't find many in environmental around there. I have found more luck where you are in Alabama than St. Louis for my field. It is starting to look more likely that with me I will just get rehired from my former employer when they are ready.

Old 03-11-2010, 05:32 PM

4 posts, read 7,326 times
My husband has had the same issue, he has a BS in electronics engineering and has found nothing, we were told out best bet is to go coastal, New York or California.

Old 03-11-2010, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG0803 View Post
My husband has had the same issue, he has a BS in electronics engineering and has found nothing, we were told out best bet is to go coastal, New York or California.
I think in that field that might be a where it is. I know in my field I was told to stay Southeast, though this might be a moot point in the door starting to creak open a bit on being rehired by old employer.

Old 11-17-2010, 10:15 AM

1 posts, read 2,887 times
90% of electronic products are made in china.So electrical engineering will be nessessary only a few.

Old 11-17-2010, 10:39 AM

264 posts, read 700,313 times
If you are graduating with a specialization in electronics, look for jobs in Southern Cali, Oregon, Seattle, Austin and Minneapolis.

OP, if you are into Power Electronics or electrical distribution related engineering, try Ameren in St Louis. They've been in the dumps since the economy collapsed but there's a decent chance you might get an interview out of it. Other options would be Schlumberger and Boeing ofcourse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis