U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 09:42 PM

2 posts, read 6,906 times

Advertisements

Looking to attend St. Louis University. How is the area regarding crime and weekend activities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2009, 12:04 PM

53 posts, read 121,363 times
SLU is in midtown which has a bunch of attractions such as the Powell symphony hall, the Fox theater, a few bars (Humphrey's is the most popular among SLU students), SLU's new on campus arena, and a few restaurants.

Midtown is a quick jog or bike ride away from the central west end and Forest Park, which contains museums, bike paths, and sporting fields. Downtown St Louis and is a few minutes away by car. Downtown is host to numerous bars and restaurants along with Busch Stadium where the Cardinals play. SLU was once a commuter campus but has drastically improved its campus life and is full of dorms and nearby apartments, if you go there you will no doubt be able to have the stereotypical college experience along with the unique experience of being close by to a lot of the attractions St Louis has to offer.

SLU has its own crew of public safety officers who patrol the area by car, bike, and foot. The campus itself is very safe, but once you wander off a few blocks you will find yourself in some questionable areas. I lived in an apartment right next to SLU and my car was broken into twice, my friend had his car stolen, and break ins are commonplace. I never felt like I was endangered the whole time I went to school there, but crime is something that you will have to deal with.

Old 02-24-2009, 04:04 PM

1,703 posts, read 3,757,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David40 View Post
Looking to attend St. Louis University. How is the area regarding crime and weekend activities.
Just a tip for you, and I learned this once a long time ago the hard way myself, but anyone affiliated with the school spells it Saint Louis University and not St. Louis University, and they are hard core about the distinction, just an fyi.

1) Is this for undegrad or grad or professional school?
2) Are you a local or out of towner? About half of the school is not from the area.
3) SLU and its immediate surrounding areas are safe. There is a lot of campus police and security. Like most inner city urban areas there will be areas of crime not far away, and using basic common sense is required at all times.
4) What sort of weekend activities did you have in mind? There are bars and restaurants around SLU. Pappy's Smokehouse is the best BBQ in town. A couple of very good pizza places in Vito's and Good Pie. Humprhey's is a long time popular SLU bar. There's a tex mex place, a brew pub restaurant, a really tasty sammie place called the "U." SLU is located next to several theaters which bring in National performers of music, theater, comedy, etc...SLU has its own first run movie cinema and bowling alley. About a mile West is the Central West End, a popular area for young professionals, an ecclectic diverse area with lots of bars, restaurants, of all shapes, sizes, prices, etc...and many SLU students and grads spend time there. Forest Park is located immediately West of the Central West End and it is the largest urban park in the United States. Many SLU sports teams practice there. It has running paths, bike paths, outdoor ampitheater, two tennis centers, 3 nine hole golf courses, plenty of lakes and ponds, a free St. Louis Zoo, museums, etc... Heading East from SLU a similar distance is the Loft District of St. Louis with again, restaurants, shops, bars, etc...not far from there is where the Cardinals, Rams and Blues play in three different venues, some Art museums. Last weekend the Soulard hosted the Nation's 2nd largest Mardi Gras and plenty of SLU students were a part of the revelers, ...the Soulard, another young professional area of bars and restaraunts.

Old 02-26-2009, 05:19 PM

8 posts, read 23,857 times
SLU is ideally situated in St. Louis, in my opinion. It's a good area of town with lots to do and easy access to interstates. Definitely there are some unsavory areas around, but it's not too bad in that district. Often people hear the stats about St. Louis and violent crime, but in truth, the worst of it is in fairly specific parts of town, nowhere near SLU.

As for stuff to do, check out the Moolah Shrine movie theater & bowling alley - very fun place. Also the Botanical Gardens not far from campus, and in Forest Park (which is beautiful) there is the art museum, the zoo, and the history museum, all free.

Old 03-01-2009, 02:25 PM

2,663 posts, read 4,170,955 times
In a neat part of town (midtown), close to Downtown, CWE, South Grand, and a metro ride away from the Loop. Beautiful structures in that area, also. Unfortunately, it is definitely close to many sketchy areas as far as "feeling a bit unsafe" and such.

Old 03-03-2009, 10:46 AM

5 posts, read 9,260 times
Yeah, there are some areas around SLU where you don't want to be out alone at night or you could be an opportunistic target. A relative of mine attended school there and the campus itself is pretty safe from what I understand. The areas away from the campus are, well, not quite so nice. Just be careful, as you would in any major city. Just note that the population of the city itself is quite small by comparison to Chicago or any other "big" city and the amount of attractions will be proportionately smaller.

Old 03-12-2009, 11:08 AM

2 posts, read 6,906 times
Thanks for all of the replies and info.

Old 11-12-2010, 10:47 AM

1,783 posts, read 2,078,864 times
If there's one thing that terrified me when I was in college, it was nearby sex offenders.

Old 11-12-2010, 01:11 PM

2,910 posts, read 3,086,677 times
i personally think what's really helped the midtown area around SLU is SLU buying out chunks of it. According to my wife, Jesuit schools have a history of being in "not so good" neighborhoods (she went to Rockhurst University in Kansas City another Jesuit University, which was right off Troost Ave in a "not so great" part of town.) Neway, as SLU has expanded over the years they've bought up a lot of the surrounding areas, which has been positive for that part of the city.

I would be willing to say that SLU is conveniently located. And it is "somewhat" close to the CWE, i wouldn't really say that it's seconds from forest park however, as that'd be a pretty long walk down the parkway to get there...If leaving the SLU campus i'd just recommend not going to far North, besides that you should be good to go. Be safe, and enjoy your college experience.

Old 11-12-2010, 01:43 PM

1,518 posts, read 2,017,497 times
^ You may be right to an extent. But there is a faction who would claim that SLU has destroyed much of the urban fabrick of midtown. Only now are areas of midtown starting to explode, and much of that is private investment. All SLU does is buy land, tear down buildings, and put in worthless plazas and fountains.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis