U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 12:57 PM

12,062 posts, read 17,873,352 times
26 percentage points difference on math, 16 percentage points difference on English -- not 2%.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2009, 01:13 PM

65 posts, read 166,892 times
Hi, aragx6

Thanks for your posts about the U City schools -- it agrees 100% with everything else I've heard.

The situation is really sad, actually. But I have to admit that it's also one of the reasons we can afford to buy in this area. Houses just a few blocks away in the Clayton school district cost at least $100k (if not $200K) more than comparable houses in U City.

Old 03-11-2009, 03:21 PM

1,703 posts, read 3,575,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleurdelis View Post
Hi, All

Thanks for all the posts!

Actually, the Loop and Clayton really will be walkable for us. We like to walk at least 4 miles a day -- preferably 5 or 6. So walking 20 minutes means "just getting warmed up." :-) We like having destinations like parks, shops, & restaurants a mile or two away since it gives us an excuse to walk even more!

I know some of the U City schools are considered a bit dodgy. But that seems to be factored into the price of the houses. From what we can tell, a house identical to this one in Clayton would cost at least $100K more.

You are getting good information here and the other info you are gathering on your own is pretty accurate as well.

Old 03-11-2009, 03:47 PM

303 posts, read 533,155 times
Wow, 4 miles a day is a lot of walking! That will definitely get you to La Pizza and beyond. Further west down Delmar you can walk to House of India and Jilly's Cupcake Bar, both just east of I-170.

And these forums are all opinions which is what makes them wonderful, but you must learn to confirm what you hear. For example, this is where I learned about La Pizza myself. After hearing Fishtaco's high praise of La Pizza, I had to check it out for myself after having driven by the place 1,000 times. So we visited and simply love the place now (having gone several times). It was only his opinion at first, but now that I've been there I am glad to say it is my opinion too!

Old 03-11-2009, 04:06 PM

1,703 posts, read 3,575,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wustu87 View Post
Wow, 4 miles a day is a lot of walking! That will definitely get you to La Pizza and beyond. Further west down Delmar you can walk to House of India and Jilly's Cupcake Bar, both just east of I-170.

And these forums are all opinions which is what makes them wonderful, but you must learn to confirm what you hear. For example, this is where I learned about La Pizza myself. After hearing Fishtaco's high praise of La Pizza, I had to check it out for myself after having driven by the place 1,000 times. So we visited and simply love the place now (having gone several times). It was only his opinion at first, but now that I've been there I am glad to say it is my opinion too!
Don't forget Flaco's Cucina in a rather obscure location at Delmar and 170 which is basically at the same location/strip malls you just mentioned.

Not bad and deals too. It's a Caribbean, Miami feel and style of say...Fishtacos, as opposed to some of the other styles and types out there. They have other good dishes as well.

As for La Pizza, they do not do any advertising, all word of mouth, and that is why some people have never heard of them. They do have a website. However they get an excellent repeat business. I know people at Rams Park in Earth City who order special from them for events etc..and it isn't exactly anyone close to there. If you have a big order or special order and you give them a day or two, Paulie and Co. have you covered. They obviously do a big U.City and Clayton business. And, you will find plenty of cops there on a routine basis because cops know the good places to eat.

Old 03-11-2009, 04:15 PM

53 posts, read 115,690 times
If you are buying on location alone then U-City's proximity to attractions rivals Clayton's. Like you mentioned, you pay a bit extra for the Clayton school system and the prestige of a Clayton address, but you could always dish out the amount that you are saving to go towards private schooling if you find yourself in U-City with kids.

St Louis is in the midst of a housing price decline that won't affect Clayton nearly as hard as U-City due to the lower supply and higher demand for the area. I would do my research and find out how much the house sold for previously and make a low offer. There is plenty of inventory in U-City and demand is relatively low so you don't want to buy into negative equity, especially when you are young and might want to move in a few years.

Biking/walking to Forest Park and plenty of restaurants makes for a great area, enjoy!

Old 03-11-2009, 06:21 PM

65 posts, read 166,892 times
Thanks for all the great restaurant suggestions. We're obviously going to need to do a lot a walking to avoid gaining weight!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis