Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2009, 02:10 PM

1,817 posts, read 4,925,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StLCitizen View Post
Ah, you're correct. I'm not sure where I got 10,000 from.

Out of curiosity, are you black? Either way, I'd say you've probably been lucky. It's not a safe place to be, regardless of whether or not you think it's safe and I think it's dangerous; It is dangerous.
Im as white as they come. Dangerous in what respects? I certainly wouldnt want to live there or spend a significant amount of time there, but driving through town is safe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2009, 09:48 PM

711 posts, read 2,107,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skipcromer View Post
Im as white as they come. Dangerous in what respects? I certainly wouldnt want to live there or spend a significant amount of time there, but driving through town is safe.
Perfectly safe to drive through, absolutely.

Old 02-11-2010, 10:24 PM

5 posts, read 23,215 times
East St. Louis is one of the most dangerous areas in the whole country I got lost driving through there and was terrified the whole time. Do not get off the highway in that area unless you have to and don't even think of stopping at a gas station in East St. Louis. Murders happen frequently and assaults happen daily. That area is just very poor and falling apart most of that whole city is just full of bars and strip clubs.

Old 02-12-2010, 03:10 AM

1,603 posts, read 3,611,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJohnston_STL View Post
Perfectly safe to drive through, absolutely.
I don't have to drive thru often. But have had someone try to yank my door open at a stop. Another time had teenagers throw a brick in my windshield. Total number of times I have drove thru couldn't have been over 20. Not good odds.

Old 02-12-2010, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blutime View Post
I don't have to drive thru often. But have had someone try to yank my door open at a stop. Another time had teenagers throw a brick in my windshield. Total number of times I have drove thru couldn't have been over 20. Not good odds.
What part of ESL did these two events happen in?

Old 02-12-2010, 03:30 PM

1,521 posts, read 3,597,964 times
These anectdotes are funny. People are such drama queens. How you can feel terrified in a 2 ton piece of machinery is beyond me?
I've explored east saint louis on several occasions and gotton lost multiple times on the way to the horse races. I'm white and I drive a new BMW and I was scared.

Old 02-12-2010, 10:17 PM

74 posts, read 182,206 times
Quote:
These anectdotes are funny. People are such drama queens. How you can feel terrified in a 2 ton piece of machinery is beyond me?
I've explored east saint louis on several occasions and gotton lost multiple times on the way to the horse races. I'm white and I drive a new BMW and I was scared.
Yeah, you're right. The five year old girl who was shot there recently was definitely being a drama queen. East St. Louis is one of the safest areas in the whole country. Please move there soon since it's so nice and safe, tough guy. My dad found dead body in a ditch driving through there. That dead guy was being a drama queen, too. Totally safe neighborhoods in ESTL.

Old 02-12-2010, 11:20 PM

165 posts, read 451,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyeam View Post
Yeah, you're right. The five year old girl who was shot there recently was definitely being a drama queen. East St. Louis is one of the safest areas in the whole country. Please move there soon since it's so nice and safe, tough guy. My dad found dead body in a ditch driving through there. That dead guy was being a drama queen, too. Totally safe neighborhoods in ESTL.
I think that the point is that a person driving around the main streets during the day will generally be fine. It's not like it's some post-apocalyptic land full of zombies just waiting to eat your brains. But it is a hard place to live, and people do get killed sometimes. It is a harder place to play and run rackets, and the people who do these things do get killed, and get killed more often. I think the point others were making in this thread is that driving through the city during the day while keeping your wits about you is not a death sentence or a guarantee that one will be robbed. Buying or selling drugs there at 3 a.m., well, that's a riskier proposition.

Old 02-13-2010, 10:31 PM

5 posts, read 23,215 times
You might be safe driving through, but even in the middle of the day it's just not safe. Sometimes you might be fine, but it all depends what kind of people are out that day and if they're in a mood to mess with someone. Well moorlander you can be terrified in a 2 ton piece of machinery when most people in East St. Louis are the kind of people who will carjack you, shoot you, rob you, but even people throwing things at your car is not safe and if you want to drive around that area and be foolish enough to keep driving through there without knowing exactly where you are going it's only a matter of time before something will happen to you and anyone who thinks otherwise is just plain foolish. Like 3240Redo said you should keep your wits about you when driving through there even in the middle of the day, but I still say stay away if you can. People might try to act tough or say parts of their city is worse, but that just means they obviously have not been there and the people who talk like that you would never find walking down those streets or if they do something will almost always happen to them. I'm not trying to say everyone in that area is bad, but honestly most are. It's just a poor and falling apart city.

Old 02-14-2010, 08:39 AM

Quote:
when most people in East St. Louis are the kind of people who will carjack you, shoot you, rob you
Simply not true.

Hundreds of non east st louisans are able to safely navigate the streets daily in order to park at one of the four metrolink stations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis