U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-09-2009, 05:17 PM

6 posts, read 13,223 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

In the next few months, I will move to St.Louis, and I have a hard time finding the right apartment.

Is anyone know "Rennaissance Place at Grand" it is in the
1001 Compton Avenue
Saint Louis, MO 63106
Phone: (866)749-7738
Brand New Apartments in Midtown St. Louis

So, my questions are:
1. Is it a safe place to live in midtown St.Louis?
2. What are the pros and cons?

Thank you so much for the responds! Really appreciate everyone's help and advices ^_^

Cheers,
Bluepassion777
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2009, 08:39 PM

8 posts, read 16,525 times
Default eh, not a great location if you ask me

There are some nice buildings around there, and this one is probably one of them, but its not the best area. You probably would not feel very safe walking around there alone at night. Furthermore, it will be severely lacking a a "neighborhood" feel. If I were you, I'd try to look just a little further west in what is called the central west end. Even then, you have to be careful because there are some shady outlying areas that realtors will label as being part of the central west end when they're really not. I'd say the area you should be looking in will be bounded by kingshighway to the west, mcpherson to the north, laclede to the south, and newstead to the east. That is the heart of the central west end--you will find good bars, restaurants, and shopping there. You'll be a short walk from forest park and yet still be pretty close to the midtwon area you were originally looking at. Its safe for the most part and is the best part of STL city imo because you do get a neighborhood feel but it is still urban. Anyway, there are a bunch of apartment buildings and flats there, you should be able to find something. I lived in a great place right near Laclede and Euclid, you might try to find something there. Rent can sometimes be a little higher, but it is easily worth it to be somewhere you can walk to cafes or the park, jog at night and still feel safe, enjoy the trees and flowers that are absent from midtwon etc...

Old 04-13-2009, 05:55 PM

2,663 posts, read 4,212,239 times
I would echo the above, especially regarding the street parameters. Although ... the buildings in the area you speak of in Midtown are really nice, and they are directly within walking distance of SLU and the Moolah ... the Moolah I am especially fond of. But, as said, although Midtown is on the rise from what I hear - it is still only a block or two from not so great areas. It is a very convinient, short drive to South Grand from there though.

Take others' advice over mine. I have only lived here for about a year and a half ... in Central West End.

Old 04-13-2009, 08:59 PM

1,093 posts, read 1,843,102 times
Actually the area has greatly improved over the past couple of years. You should be fine if you stay aware of your surroundings and use common sense. There is a lot to do and you are very close to downtown and the CWE.

Old 04-14-2009, 01:22 PM

12,062 posts, read 19,220,477 times
I don't know the area well enough to be certain I'd live there, though I've seen how much improved the area is. A friend in SLU law school lives right next to the Moolah and not only really likes the area, but hasn't had any problems (he has garage parking too which I am sure helps) My gut is that I agree with Brickmama, but I guess my question is where are you moving from? There's a certain tolerance that comes along with city living experience -- if you have some I'd feel better about suggesting the area.

Old 11-01-2010, 08:10 PM

3 posts, read 5,787 times
I'm also looking at living in Midtown (going to law school at SLU). I've heard most people say things along the lines of "it's not terribly dangerous - just use common sense". Is this accurate? I've heard good things about the FrontDoorSTL Properties (Coranado, Lindell Towers, etc).

I really don't want to live any further from school than I have to, and I don't want to be isolated from my peers by moving to CWE, even though the consensus seems to be that's a better place.

Old 11-01-2010, 09:53 PM

1,561 posts, read 2,159,920 times
^Those buildings along Lindell are gorgeous. I would feel safe living there and they are right, just use common sense.

Old 11-01-2010, 11:03 PM

1,676 posts, read 2,321,205 times
Those buildings are nice. A lot of my friends lived in them. The location is very nice--just be aware that they are filled with undergrads...meaning it gets loud, especially on the weekends. A couple people I know who moved to the area for SLU Law lived next to campus their first year, and then moved further away for the following years once they got to know the surrounding areas.

Old 11-02-2010, 11:12 AM

12,062 posts, read 19,220,477 times
billiken probably has the best advice. Live close to school your first year (I believe you'll be fine in the neighborhood) and then you'll be in a position your second year to really choose an area to live once you know the neighborhoods.

At this point my issue with Midtown is less safety and more that it still simply isn't as walkable as CWE, the Loop or South Grand, all three of which are a VERY easy commute to SLU. Plus I'm not a big fan of highrise apartment areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis