Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 07:17 PM

91 posts, read 165,400 times

Advertisements

Wow, the Austin Mayoral Candidate is just lame. What a doofus. However, a few points of order:

Take some time to browse our free zoo

It's not free, squire. Admission to the zoo is free. Those who work in the city of St. Louis get robbed 1 percent on their gross salary, some of which goes to the city instiutions such as the zoo. But the zoo is nice, one of the better ones in the country.

Many great people have come from St. Louis. How about Chuck Berry? Tina Turner? Maya Angelou? Yogi Berra? Linda Blair? (By the way, as the story is told, the Excorcist was based an excorcism that took place in St. Louis, with slight details changed). Harry Caray? Redd Foxx? Miles Davis? T.S. Eliot? Buddy Ebsen? Betty Grable? Scott Joplin? Kevin Kline? Joseph Pulitzer? Dred Scott? Leon and Michael Spinks? Tennessee Williams? St. Louis gave these people to the world.

How could you leave out Bert Convy? Pete Weber? And since you seem to be a big sports person, how about Pat LaFontaine, one of the NHL greats?

BTW, Tina Turner is from Nutbush, Tennessee (hence the song "Nutbush City Limits," also covered by Bob Seger). She moved to STL and met Ike "Mr. Warmth" Turner when she was 16.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2009, 01:57 AM

3,742 posts, read 8,367,217 times
That guy isn't even from the Midwest and thinks he is fit to judge St. Louis. Wow. He clearly has no knowledge or appreciation for the rich culture and history of Midwestern cities. Not to mention, he's probably never been to the Midwest. He seems to be riding on the assumption that all Midwestern cities are today are dumps when that is only a quarter of the truth. Also, Tennessee Williams actually was from the Deep South...he migrated north to St. Louis later on. Scott Joplin wasn't from St. Louis either actually. Yes, I will agree that these figures participated a great deal in the history of St. Louis, however many of them were transplants from other places.

Old 05-02-2009, 08:04 AM

23,410 posts, read 36,915,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
That guy isn't even from the Midwest and thinks he is fit to judge St. Louis. Wow. He clearly has no knowledge or appreciation for the rich culture and history of Midwestern cities. Not to mention, he's probably never been to the Midwest. He seems to be riding on the assumption that all Midwestern cities are today are dumps when that is only a quarter of the truth. Also, Tennessee Williams actually was from the Deep South...he migrated north to St. Louis later on. Scott Joplin wasn't from St. Louis either actually. Yes, I will agree that these figures participated a great deal in the history of St. Louis, however many of them were transplants from other places.
Which is why STL is so wonderful! These people CHOSE to come to our town and enrich it......I hope that the mayoral candidate comes to STL, and chokes on a toasted ravioli

Old 05-02-2009, 09:35 AM

1,069 posts, read 2,556,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
Tennessee Williams actually was from the Deep South...he migrated north to St. Louis later on. Scott Joplin wasn't from St. Louis either actually. Yes, I will agree that these figures participated a great deal in the history of St. Louis, however many of them were transplants from other places.
Correct, and transplants can never be true Missourians. Not then, not now, not in the future.

Ozarks Boy
A transplant from Georgia who is now a proud resident of Missouri but not a Missourian

Old 05-02-2009, 09:53 AM

16,375 posts, read 30,171,692 times
Austin has more screwballs per square mile than most cities. About every election they have some joker or political gadfly who makes outrageous statements and becomes the darling of the alternative press in and around Austin. Your best bet is just to ignore the guy as his 15 minutes of fame are just about up.

Old 05-02-2009, 10:22 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,064,895 times
Yes, but . . . I am born and raised in St. Louis despite living the past twenty years in Austin, I don't know if McCracken will win but he raises some interesting points.

St. Louis could have been Chicago! St. Louis was a major town at the intersection of two rivers when Chicago was tiny Ft. Dearborn! We could have been THE major railroad hub for the entire country, but the city fathers who had entrenched interests in maintaining their monopoly on ferry service across the Mississippi delayed the construction of a RR bridge across the river!

Over and over again throughout its long history, St. Louis has hesitated, and lost.

But St. Louis has a long history and abundant resources, who knows where it will be in 100 years? Hopefully, strong and growing well.

Take care of St. Louis, people! Invest, innovate and prove Mr. McCracken wrong. Nothing would make me happier.

Old 05-02-2009, 12:18 PM

938 posts, read 3,499,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by centralaustinite View Post
Yes, but . . . I am born and raised in St. Louis despite living the past twenty years in Austin, I don't know if McCracken will win but he raises some interesting points.

St. Louis could have been Chicago! St. Louis was a major town at the intersection of two rivers when Chicago was tiny Ft. Dearborn! We could have been THE major railroad hub for the entire country, but the city fathers who had entrenched interests in maintaining their monopoly on ferry service across the Mississippi delayed the construction of a RR bridge across the river!

Over and over again throughout its long history, St. Louis has hesitated, and lost.

But St. Louis has a long history and abundant resources, who knows where it will be in 100 years? Hopefully, strong and growing well.

Take care of St. Louis, people! Invest, innovate and prove Mr. McCracken wrong. Nothing would make me happier.
While there is some truth to what McCracken said, saying it in the first place was not a very smart move. His willingness to insult another metro area for his own political gain indicates that he would not be a very good mayor. There is no reason to drag an unrelated city into an Austin political race, he could have just as easily stated that Austin should diversify to avoid eventual decline without slamming St. Louis or any other city in particular. A mayor should be able to work well with leaders from other cities and government entities without insulting them.

Quote:
Austin has more screwballs per square mile than most cities. About every election they have some joker or political gadfly who makes outrageous statements and becomes the darling of the alternative press in and around Austin. Your best bet is just to ignore the guy as his 15 minutes of fame are just about up.
Yup, we have Kinky Friedman and a host of other characters. Keep Austin Weird I suppose. I don't mind the wackos too much (they make things interesting), but I do get annoyed when I get hassled by people trying to get me to join Greenpeace on the UT campus, or the other environmental/political groups who knock on my door, try to get a donation out of me, and then get angry because I won't give them any money.

Old 05-02-2009, 02:28 PM

3,951 posts, read 7,180,970 times
I've never been to Austin but from what I've heard its a bit overrated.

Old 05-02-2009, 07:00 PM

1,869 posts, read 5,791,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brickmama View Post
Does anyone in STL even cares about what some desperate politician says about STL. Austin is nothing but a small town with money lining the pockets of politicians and contains a 50k plus university. Austin was just considered cool about 4 years ago while STL has been cool for 160 years.

Brewster McKracken = Big Ern McKracken
Why rip Austin because of this one person's comments?

Old 05-02-2009, 08:22 PM

938 posts, read 3,499,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroGuy View Post
I've never been to Austin but from what I've heard its a bit overrated.
Overrated...not really, I found pretty much all of the positive selling points of Austin to be true when I moved here. It is, however, over-hyped and over-promoted. Austin constantly pops up on various "best places" lists and seems to get a lot of other promotion as a hot and trendy place to live. All of the hype results in some thinking it is some kind of utopia, which it isn't (a true utopia does not exist). I think the same could be said for places like Portland, New York, or Seattle....lots of hype on the positives, and little on the negative aspects of the city. I've found Austin to be a fun city and like a lot about it, but I'm can't say I'm any happier here than anywhere else I've lived.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis