U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-18-2009, 09:26 AM

12,062 posts, read 19,009,092 times

Advertisements

All any St. Louisan needs to do to realize how great a city it is, it move to another one for a few years.

I see so many of the same exact problems in Chicago and yet somehow my rent is twice as high and I'm paying an 11% sales tax -- I love it here, but I will simply never be able to finance the life I see for myself in this town. When I sit down and realize I can buy a beautiful, large historic home in Tower Grove Heights, a short walk to the liveliness on South Grand and the beauty of TG Park and Shaw Gardens for the same price as a 1 bedroom condo in my current Chicago neighborhood, the decision becomes clear.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2009, 11:37 AM

670 posts, read 828,763 times
I agree. I've had a couple friends who moved from St. Louis (one back to Chicago, the other to San Francisco) who have made the same observation. The one guy sold his nice house in Webster Groves where he had made some really cool friends to take a job paying 30% more in Chi-town. He ended up paying double the price for a smaller house in Jefferson Park, misses his old StL friends, is starting a family now, and seems to regret the decision to leave in many ways. The other one in the Bay area had a killer loft on Washington Ave and now he can't even think about buying in SF. His rent for a small place in a nice part of Oakland near the Ashby Bart station is way more than what his mortgage was here. I know he is scratching his head trying to figure out what the plus side of the move was. We maybe tend to take a good thing for granted, It would make me think twice (or more) before pouncing on a more attractive salary in a more fashionable city, especially now that I have little ones.

Old 05-18-2009, 12:06 PM

114 posts, read 532,298 times
Thought-provoking post. I noticed this "inferiority" thing when asking about STL. As someone who is relocating from No. Calif, people constantly ask me why. While CA is gorgeous, really, it has very little going for it. I LOVE SF but I am fine visiting it a couple times of year because there is very little opportunity. In getting everything together for STL, I feel like I have SO many more choices. Sure, every city has probelms but OP is correct - embrace your city! Look for the good - enjoy it, find the balance. You guys have no idea how difficult it is to live in Calif and the physical splendor simply doesn't make up for the high cost of living. It would be nice to see the city of STL hire some good marketing and start attracting those of us who are dying in high-cost areas. Then again, I think a lot of people just love to complain no matter where they are. How sad.

Old 05-18-2009, 12:43 PM

3,745 posts, read 3,365,305 times
The only inferiority complex I have about St. Louis is the fact that I'm fed up with it...I've lived here 22 years, it's a great city to grow up in, but I doubt there are a whole lot of people who can stand the same city their entire lives...I just need a change or at least some space from St. Louis for awhile before I return.

Old 05-18-2009, 01:05 PM

2,261 posts, read 3,392,114 times
I moved to San Antonio from St. Louis in 1997, which is why I lurk on the StL board.

I will say that if you go to the SA board, you'll see the same types of posts about why SA is so awful, blah blah. Apparently it's human nature.

Me, if I could summer in St. Louis (and live in a loft downtown next to Busch Stadium) and winter in San Antonio, I'd be happy.

Old 05-21-2009, 07:52 PM

67 posts, read 20,586 times
I was in St. Louis for a wedding recently and I loved it! So did the rest of the Wisconsinites we were with. St. Louis, is a step up from Wisconsin. We found it to be a very pleasant place, people-wise and loved all your flowering bushes!! Your spring is four weeks ahead of us, you lucky people!

Old 05-21-2009, 10:55 PM

938 posts, read 2,280,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
The only inferiority complex I have about St. Louis is the fact that I'm fed up with it...I've lived here 22 years, it's a great city to grow up in, but I doubt there are a whole lot of people who can stand the same city their entire lives...I just need a change or at least some space from St. Louis for awhile before I return.
I left Missouri when I was 22, and was very, very ready to leave. Not that I didn't like Missouri...I always have, and still do, but I was ready to spread my wings a bit and see something else. Now I'm ready to return. Leaving your home is a great experience...and if you don't like the rest of the world, you can always come back. It really changes your perspective on everything.

Old 05-22-2009, 08:54 AM

12,062 posts, read 19,009,092 times
Couldn't agree more OA!

And annkathryn, I'm so glad to hear you were pleased with St. Louis!

Old 05-22-2009, 11:42 PM

91 posts, read 61,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annkathryn View Post
I was in St. Louis for a wedding recently and I loved it! So did the rest of the Wisconsinites we were with. St. Louis, is a step up from Wisconsin. We found it to be a very pleasant place, people-wise and loved all your flowering bushes!! Your spring is four weeks ahead of us, you lucky people!

St. Louis is a slight step above Milwaukee. You were at a wedding around a majority of people you personally knew. Glad your visit went well, but you are just as likely to encounter narrow-minded, ignorant xenophobic drones on your next visit. I guess they wedding party "acted nice."

Old 05-23-2009, 02:16 AM

27 posts, read 50,562 times
I have always been an admirer of St. Louis. I went to university just an hour west of the city and loved going there for a weekend visit or just to get to a ballgame. There are enough choices the city is just the right size for me with enough cultural and sporting choices to make it great.

I've been living overseas for the past 5 years, but it is my strong desire to be able to move the STL when I do return with my family in the next few years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis