U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-20-2009, 12:50 PM

27 posts, read 28,322 times
Default Race Relations in St Louis/Scott AFB Area

Hello everyone, I know this question has been asked before. But how is the St Louis area, and surrounding area towards interracial couples? What areas are not as excepting and possibly need to be avoided? I would like to get some opinions.

Also, what are the best areas around or in St Louis that seem to be diverse? My husband and I like to go out occasionally (nice bars, laid back restuarants, ect.) We are relocating to Scott AFB within the next few months.
All comments and information is GREATLY appreciated. I've been to St Louis once with my husband (6 Flags, didn't have the best experience).
Thanks!
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2009, 11:33 AM

650 posts, read 780,064 times
we are not convenient to Scott AFB, but my neighborhood in U City has a lot of interraicial couples, not to mention other "non-traditional" households. That's the way we like it in U City

Old 05-21-2009, 11:46 AM

105 posts, read 192,030 times
I work in O'Fallon, IL, just next door to SAFB. It is a more "conservative" town as compared to its neighbors: Belleville, Shiloh, Swansea. I haven't seen any blatent racism, but the place seems to still be run by the "good ole boys" network.

Old 05-21-2009, 12:00 PM

27 posts, read 28,322 times
Thanks for the information! We are used to some of the "good ol boy" neighborhoods, and we usually try to avoid them, or deal with them only if we have too. How is Belleville? Is it a nice city? We will be making a trip up there in July to do some house hunting.

Old 05-21-2009, 01:02 PM
TGS

361 posts, read 1,176,935 times
Are you looking for suburban, urban, or a rural area? I don't know as much about race relations in Metro East, so I will let you know about Missouri.

If you like urban, then there are a lot of good options:
Central West End
University City
Maplewood
Soulard
Downtown
Tower Grove
Lafayette Square
Benton Park

If you are looking for a more suburban area:
Kirkwood
Webster Groves
Clayton
Creve Couer
Olivette
Ladue
Manchester

Rural:
No idea

Honestly, if you look at the areas along Highway 40 in Missouri, you should be fine. Deep South St. Louis County (very white) or North St. Louis County (currently suffering extreme white flight) are probably not your best options.

Old 05-25-2009, 08:04 AM

168 posts, read 436,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loki03xlh View Post
I work in O'Fallon, IL, just next door to SAFB. It is a more "conservative" town as compared to its neighbors: Belleville, Shiloh, Swansea. I haven't seen any blatent racism, but the place seems to still be run by the "good ole boys" network.
If you could please site examples of this "good ol boy network" you are talking about. I grew up in that area and couldnt disagree more.

Old 06-05-2009, 08:33 AM

767 posts, read 1,274,326 times
I would recommend staying out of the small rural towns. I have spent time in some of them and have heard a lot of ignorant, bigoted comments directed toward people of different races. Its certainly not everyone in these communities, but they do have their share of racists.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis