U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-25-2009, 03:07 PM

20 posts, read 40,028 times
Default 4th of July in StL

Hi everyone,
I'll be moving to Richmond Heights in mid-June from North Carolina. I may have guests coming for the 4th of July weekend, and was hoping you all could tell me about the activities that are available.
Thanks!
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2009, 03:48 PM

1,126 posts, read 2,276,288 times
Fair St. Louis - Your Guide to St. Louis' Top 4th of July Celebration

Old 05-25-2009, 07:44 PM

1,089 posts, read 1,798,144 times
Counting Crows is playing under the Arch for free. I would go check it out and hit Washington Ave for some drinks or dinner.

Old 05-26-2009, 10:34 AM

Thanks for the info! Is this something I can take the Metro to, or what is the best way to travel to and from?

Old 05-26-2009, 11:10 AM

305 posts, read 564,443 times
If you live in Richmond Hts it would be very convenient for you to drive to the Brentwood Meridian lot and take the Metrolink from there down to the arch grounds. It will cost $4.50 per person round trip but it would avoid the huge traffic congestion after the fireworks (although the Metrolink will indeed be packed on the way back.) On the way back make sure you get on a train headed to Shrewsbury too, not one going to the airport!! Depending on the size of your group it may be less expensive to drive and park. Note that there are other July 4th activities on a smaller scale like the fairs in St. Charles by their riverfront and also the one in Webster Groves which will also be very close for you.

Old 05-26-2009, 11:13 AM

12,062 posts, read 18,694,841 times
Metro is great in theory for the 4th, but it's so crazy crowded -- we did it one year and everyone trying to get out of downtown was simply awful. All the trains were full by the time they even got to the landing because of everyone getting on in Illinois. It took us about 2 hours to get through the line and on a train.

Maybe others have a better experience?

Old 05-26-2009, 08:50 PM

91 posts, read 59,547 times
There is a spectacular fireworks show on the Riverfront every year, where you can sit under the Arch (take lawn seats) and enjoy it after the concert (Counting Crows this year - good pick!).

However - and years of experience support this - I must urge you NOT to park in any of the major nearby lots (i.e. Kiener) for this event - you will be spending hours in a line, with drunken idiots honking their horns incessantly (like the 1-2-3 Let's Go Blues in the middle of July) and methed-up losers acting like morons. Enjoy the fireworks, go enjoy a few post-show beverages (at least for 60 minutes), walk briskly and with purpose (don't make eye contact with anyone) to catch the Metrolink in a WELL-LIT area back to Shrewsbury.

Old 05-26-2009, 09:29 PM

I would recommend stopping somewhere after a few drinks to wait for the crowd to die down before hopping on a train. Try the Landing or somewhere along Wash Ave.

Old 05-27-2009, 08:19 PM

Thanks for the advice. I like the idea of grabbing a few drinks afterwards and then taking the Metro back. If I'm with a small group of people is it fairly safe to walk from where we can view fireworks, to a place to get drinks, to the metro after dark? Sorry, I don't really know the layout of things yet, so no idea of the proximity of these places to one another.

Old 05-27-2009, 08:55 PM

Yes it is perfectly safe. There will be thousands of people walking with you. I have done it numerous times. If the drinks are tasty and you happen to stay longer than you planned you can always take a cab back to your car. Your best bet would be to park in the lot by Busch stadium and take the train from there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis